xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: (USA) 150k Xbox360 HD DVD Addons Sold - Blu-Ray 5 to 1 Edge  (Read 288 times)

smokeynerd

• Archived User
(USA) 150k Xbox360 HD DVD Addons Sold - Blu-Ray 5 to 1 Edge
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »

It only makes sense that at the present moment in time more blu-ray discs are being sold, theres 1.4 million people that obviously had money to shell out for the PS3 so obviously they are going to buy discs for them.

the real question is , who can drop their prices more HD-DVD or blu-ray? If all of a sudden 5 major electronics manufactures released HD-DVD players for $175 each it would drop blu-ray to its knees. if MS would have placed HD-DVD drives standard in all 360's , blu-ray would not have ever stood a chance and would live it's legacy just as BETA did.

It's truly a shame that something like this has happened , all it does is slow down the evolution of technology, if only one format would have existed , more and more manfactures could have started implementing it a LONG time ago rather than have to sit on their hands and watch the race play out. Why is sony so good at making proprietary crap? like those stupid memory sticks

dromiderry

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 10:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(smokeynerd @ Jun 20 2007, 06:20 PM) View Post

It only makes sense that at the present moment in time more blu-ray discs are being sold, theres 1.4 million people that obviously had money to shell out for the PS3 so obviously they are going to buy discs for them.

the real question is , who can drop their prices more HD-DVD or blu-ray? If all of a sudden 5 major electronics manufactures released HD-DVD players for $175 each it would drop blu-ray to its knees. if MS would have placed HD-DVD drives standard in all 360's , blu-ray would not have ever stood a chance and would live it's legacy just as BETA did.

It's truly a shame that something like this has happened , all it does is slow down the evolution of technology, if only one format would have existed , more and more manfactures could have started implementing it a LONG time ago rather than have to sit on their hands and watch the race play out. Why is sony so good at making proprietary crap? like those stupid memory sticks

was just thinking that m8, sony have basically forced the blu ray onto the market, ms havent, but like i said b4 i wont be rushiung out to buy br when i can add on hddvd to my 360 hopefully over time 360 owners will be upgrading and increase the numbers. thing is though the games for 360 are so ace at the mo no time for movies lol

ConteZero76

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 01:08:00 PM »

A 360 + HD-DVD isn't worth the price, you'll end up paying more than a PS3, and yet you're bound to DVD as game medium.
BD is winning because everyone except Universal back (either exclusively or in conjunction with HD-DVD) BD-DVD.
PS3 is surely helping BD camp, but this isn't something you can use to discredit BD; if you're going to do an high definition version of a title you have five time more "installed base" when it comes to BD -and that's a fact.
I heard (rumor follow) that either Halo will be on BD (being a 20th Century Fox film).

biosehnsucht

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »

Those numbers only work if they haven't sold a single addon in MONTHS...

there was some PR that said 150k addons months ago.. and of course not everyone with a ps3 is going to buy or rent at the same rate as someone who has a device solely for playback of HD media.

Though, the blockbuster thing has scared away many people, which is going to have a self fulfilling prophecy effect. BB said 70% rented BR, but anyone who tried to rent from BB and actually had both formats spent MONTHS waiting for a HD-DVD to become available while only days or weeks for BR.. so I think we can assume they engineered the result by not having enough HD-DVDs to match demand.

gugudelaroche

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 05:06:00 PM »

dammit i just bought tohsiba hd-xa2 player a 1000$ , i've always been hd-dvd from the start but i have to admit that with major players like blockbuster taking those kind of decisions the rest of them will follow their path i,m afraid. If you can't beat them join them!! they say. Still hope hd will win this war but this is like losing 5-1 at the bottom of the ninth or losing 3-0 in the third period (anything can happen). sad.gif

DaFunks

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »

With big companies like Block Buster doing this (Even though its not as bad as it sounds) other compies will do the same.

I see more blueray discs being sold here is England then HD so for me it looks like BR are winning. Its not about wihc is best its about which the BIG names get behind. Its also not about what we want... If every big name gets behind BR then we have to buy it as we will only have a small sellection to pick from.

I dont care though... i dont own any of them... ill just wait like most people and seewhich dropps its price too under £300 then buy that.

no0b123

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 06:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(mcatrage @ Jun 20 2007, 11:07 AM) *

Man when will this so called "war" end.  I just hope sooner rather than later one of the format folds.  The longer this goes on only people that are going to get screwed are the consumers who choose wrong.

Not for a few years will the "war" end. I think were making this war go on. If we just buy what we want and invest in whats available, we will be happier. I have said this before, HD-DVD and Blu-Ray will be here together for a long time. Just like dvd-r and dvd+r. Hybrid disks and THD disks will come into better play later once Blu-Ray and Hd-dvd players become more common. The average Joe doesn't even have an HDTV set (painful, I know). I still buy DVD's because I know they can play on either HD player so I'm not wasting my money in that investment. Sony has quantity (size of disk/more support), Microsoft has quality (Picture/media reputation). I don't think you will "miss out" if one has more features than the other because they can later add more features (something like the MS interactive dvd menu on BR). My main point is, I can see both formats winning easily. Sony fully depends on Blu-Ray winning because of past media flops. Microsoft has the funds and means to pretty much allow whatever they want to happen. We choose who gets the more sales. So lets let our money do the talking and quit making 2 yr. future predictions as to who will win the "war". Only time and money will tell.

This post has been edited by no0b123: Jun 21 2007, 02:00 AM

MaX PL

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 07:42:00 PM »

well to add to this war I just went out and bought the HD DVD add on at Circuit City today, got two free movies with it plus King Kong included.

would have gotten BluRay had it been cheaper than HD DVD, but the only cheap HD choice I had was the HD DVD add on;  600 dollars for PS3 is way too much.

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »

These numbers have meaning but can not be used to predict the future success of either standard.

Most likely both standards will be lossers as something much better than both will come along.

Like HD movies on a SD Card.

We already have 2 gig sd cards for like 40 bucks.

A year or two from now we will likely see 20Gig or beter flash memory Cards for 20 bucks.

Or High speed connections where you can down load whatever movie directly to your display in a few seconds.

What I can draw from these numbers is that

1) Most people don't care about HD disc players in general.

2) Gamers don't realy care about HD disc Playback in a gaming system, an prefer a lower price system with good games than the ability to play HD disc.

3) Sony has been sucessful in making BD the early leader in install base.

4) Movie studios would like there to be a clear winner just as much as consumers so they are backing Sony.

5) PS3 owners are buying BD movies and driving the sales figures (Becuase there are few games for PS3) as a means to rationalize their large ticket purchase.

6) Neither HD-DVD or BD are generating significant revenue for any of the companies involved.

This post has been edited by mc_365: Jun 21 2007, 03:57 PM

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(mc_365 @ Jun 21 2007, 03:54 PM) View Post

1) Most people don't care about HD disc players in general.

2) Gamers don't realy care about HD disc Playback in a gaming system, an prefer a lower price system with good games than the ability to play HD disc.

5) PS3 owners are buying BD movies and driving the sales figures (Becuase there are few games for PS3) as a means to rationalize their large ticket purchase.

1) As more people buy HD displays they will want HD content to play on it. gamers are a big market to target but there are many more people out there that would rather buy an expensive display to watch HD movies on rather than to play games on.

2) This may be true unless your a movie buff that may want to play the occasional game or two.

5) Ever considered that many people bought the PS3 because it is a very nice budget BD player instead of a game console? Large ticket purchase is a figure of how you are looking at things. To some it is and to others its a great value.

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 10:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ranger72 @ Jun 21 2007, 07:37 PM) View Post

1) As more people buy HD displays they will want HD content to play on it. gamers are a big market to target but there are many more people out there that would rather buy an expensive display to watch HD movies on rather than to play games on.

2) This may be true unless your a movie buff that may want to play the occasional game or two.

5) Ever considered that many people bought the PS3 because it is a very nice budget BD player instead of a game console? Large ticket purchase is a figure of how you are looking at things. To some it is and to others its a great value.

You could look at it that way, but from talking to people and looking at the statistics what I mentioned seems to be a common thread.

1) Fact is most people that own an HDTV don't know the difference between HD and SD.

http://slashdot.org/...9/0647218.shtml

Most people by HDTV becuase of the space savings and secondly becuase its the new tech.
Even if they don't understand it, people don't want to explain to others why they bouhgt a non-HDTV.

Most gamers are the recipiants of the game system and do not drive the purchase of the TV in the household.

2) I would think a movie buff would much prefer a full featured Movie Player over a gaming system with movie playback.  For the price if playing movies is the primary purpose I believe an additional $200 for a standalone with remote would be prefered.

Pages: 1 [2]