xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (USA) 150k Xbox360 HD DVD Addons Sold - Blu-Ray 5 to 1 Edge  (Read 267 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User

(USA) 150k Xbox360 HD DVD Addons Sold - Blu-Ray 5 to 1 Edge
Posted by XanTium | June 20 10:18 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From tvpredictions.com:

Blu-ray players are in roughly 1.5 million homes -- five times more than its high-def DVD rival, HD-DVD.
That's according to the research firm Digital Entertainment Group, as reported by Video Business.

DEG says the 1.5 million Blu-ray homes include about 100,000 standalone Blu-ray players with the rest PlayStation 3 game consoles, which include Blu-ray players inside.

The research firm says there 300,000 HD DVD homes in the United States -- evenly split between standalone players and HD DVD XBox 360 attachment drives.

Full Story: tvpredictions.com

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »

so according to these figures more people are buying standalone HD-dvd players rather than blu-ray drives.

it's perfectly understandable why blu-ray drives are winning when every ps3 has one, this really doesnt help us determine who will come out on top.

itchy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ Jun 20 2007, 03:27 PM) *

this really doesnt help us determine who will come out on top.

Umm, maybe that'd be true if it was 2:1, but not 5:1.  Blu-Ray is taking the lead, and just yesterday Blockbuster announced that they'll only start carrying blu-ray as that accounts for 70% of their HD rentals.  I've found myself using the PS3 more and more for HD rentals.  HD rentals do not cost extra over standard rentals using netflix or BB online.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_513097.html

This post has been edited by itchy: Jun 20 2007, 03:48 PM

yourM0M

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 08:53:00 AM »

how are there more 360 hd-dvd addons than standalone blu-ray sales....thats just hilarious, and blu-ray is "leading" that makes no sense....i wanna see medium sales as in disc's.....since the ps3 is really making up the blu-ray hardware sales...

if hd-dvd were internal on the 360 i wonder how all these news articles would be written, hell blu-ray wouldnt have even had a chance with the 1+ year edge the 360 had..lmao

dvsone

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 08:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(itchy @ Jun 20 2007, 03:43 PM) View Post

Umm, maybe that'd be true if it was 2:1, but not 5:1.  Blu-Ray is taking the lead, and just yesterday Blockbuster announced that they'll only start carrying blu-ray as that accounts for 70% of their HD rentals.  I've found myself using the PS3 more and more for HD rentals.  HD rentals do not cost extra over standard rentals using netflix or BB online.
I think this news has probably been blown out of proportion. Blockbuster has stocked 250 stores with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD titles currently. They have decided at this point in time to stock an 1,450 additional video shops with Blu Ray. That doesn't mean that they wont ever stock HD DVD in these shops. Blockbuster has said that they aren't endorsing Blu-Ray but following the demand of their customers. They still have stock in their 250 stores and online service. As soon as they are making good money from those you will see HD DVD move across all stores as well. After all it's business, the product is going to move where the money is.

grim_d

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(itchy @ Jun 20 2007, 03:43 PM) View Post

no, all this tells us is that the ps3 console has sold more than the 360's hd-dvd add-on, which makes perfect sense.

as for blockbuster, well over here blockbuster has never carried hd-dvd, but on the same hand, they also never seem to rent any blu-ray discs or sell any ps3's, so much so that they have dropped the price on them.

mcatrage

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 09:07:00 AM »

Man when will this so called "war" end.  I just hope sooner rather than later one of the format folds.  The longer this goes on only people that are going to get screwed are the consumers who choose wrong.

ouikikazz

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 09:10:00 AM »

i think the hybrid dvd/hd dvd discs will make an impact and really determine the winner...if it doesn't then we will need to wait for blu ray/hd dvd hybrid players cause then that means both formats will have to coexist like dvd-r and dvd+r

damam

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »

well this is not totals but hdgamedb tracks total sales at amazon.com.  As you can see from the graph on the linked page, with the exception of a couple blips, Blue ray is consistently out selling HD DVD in media as well.

sinister slipknot

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »

To be fair it's unclear as to whos 'winning' as all the HD DVD players were bought by people wanting to watch HD films, whereas only the stand alone blu ray players were definently bought just for playing films. Most of the PS3s would have been bought for the games, with the blu ray as a bonus so how many people actually use it is unknown.

DanITman

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 09:54:00 AM »

This study obviously does not include the new fathers day figures.  Supposably HD-DVD saw a huge jump in sales with the price of the players sinking below the $300 mark.

Altima NEO

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »

Im still waiting to see a clear winner/loser. Im not gonna waste my money on a bluray player or hd dvd player just to find out I chose wrong.

Why couldnt these corporate morons just find a way to work together.

DMAddict

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 11:13:00 AM »

The longer this goes on, the harder it will be to determine a clear format winner, and the more likely we will be stuck with both formats. I'm just gonna make sure when I buy my standalone player, it's gonna read both formats.

Achtung

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 11:14:00 AM »

Finally the PS3 is outselling something!

to bad its sony's own stand alone Blu-ray player.

dromiderry

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »

ok so everyone of us with a 360 is gonna go buy a standalone bluray??? er dont think so. hddvd it will be and tbh its an add on so theoreticalyl if (which it wont) blu ray comes out on top, surely ms could devise a blu ray add on. the fact is i know it and everyone else does hddvd will be the format.

as for blockbuster well im in uk so dont really know, but i thought the major fill companys were going hddvd, if you restrict yourself to blu ray surely you are limiting the movies available.

I use my pc to watch hd at the mo its awesome!!

This post has been edited by dromiderry: Jun 20 2007, 06:20 PM
Pages: [1] 2