xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: (CES07) Warner Officially Announces Total Hi Def Hybrid Disc  (Read 240 times)

feflicker

• Archived User
(CES07) Warner Officially Announces Total Hi Def Hybrid Disc
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »

There needs to be some sort of consortia formed, of media companies and tech firms, and they need to just govern these types of decisions already. That way there could have just been a vote, one format would have won this round, and the consumers wouldn't be put in this crappy situation.

I know there will be flames saying "that would never work" and "companies are in it for money and licensing", etc. but still, something like this needs to be done. What's going to happen next time, 3 different formats? Then 4? It's a slippery slope.

barn606

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 11:10:00 AM »

dont shout if this is  a daft question but how much will these combo disks hold if u were to use a multiburner to write all the layers.  for regular backups etc.

Helliano

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »

This is good news considered to me.

Since now Xbox 360(MS) and Playstation 3(Sony) can have a real war.
By that i mean price on games functions etc etc.
Even the formats improving HD-DVD improving Blu-Ray without the costumer getting wanked for just owning one player.

Bad side is format war wont end, but whata heck those lazy developers need some pressure.

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(feflicker @ Jan 10 2007, 01:05 PM) View Post

There needs to be some sort of consortia formed, of media companies and tech firms, and they need to just govern these types of decisions already. That way there could have just been a vote, one format would have won this round, and the consumers wouldn't be put in this crappy situation.

I know there will be flames saying "that would never work" and "companies are in it for money and licensing", etc. but still, something like this needs to be done. What's going to happen next time, 3 different formats? Then 4? It's a slippery slope.

They already have;
HD DVD  Alliance and you have the Blu Ray Disc Alliance.  Each alliance is filled with over 100 tech and multimedia companies. wink.gif

I agree with what others have already sais, it drags out the "format war" leaving no clear winner.  Early adopters are used to getting burned, or at least they should be, as that is price for being on the bleeding edge of technology.

dhrandy1

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007, 04:00:00 PM »

I think it's a good idea.  Now you wouldn't have to worry about which player you have.  You also wouldn't have to worry about movie companys sticking to one format.  I'm all for it.
Pages: 1 [2]