xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (CES07) Warner Officially Announces Total Hi Def Hybrid Disc  (Read 235 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
(CES07) Warner Officially Announces Total Hi Def Hybrid Disc
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 10 00:15 EST

From engadget.com:

Warner Home Video's press conference concerning the Total Hi Def disc that has HD DVD and Blu-ray all on one disc is currently ongoing, and it stated that the discs are able to contain dual layers of both HD DVD and Blu-ray on one disc. The first Total Hi Def releases will hit in the second half of this year, but no specific titles have yet been announced. At the conference, Warner used a copy of Superman to show off how it worked in an HD DVD player, Blu-ray player, and the recently announced LG Super Multi player that plays either. Finally, Warner claims it will not cost "materially" more than a regular disc.

Full Story: engadget.com

mlmadmax

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 10:04:00 PM »

Holy shit this is getting confusing blink.gif

Gmc

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »

I think this is probably the best solution imo.

jizmo

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 11:52:00 PM »

It's a big surprise that this invention comes from Warner, not the usual tech companies with armies of engineers. Not a bad thing, but a bit surprising. Makes you wonder if there are any secret forces from some other companies behind this.

Also, very interesting to hear that the cost of the disc materials and pressing is the same as usual discs'. One could easily think that more complex process would take more refined materials and much more elaborate (=expensive) equipment.

That being said, I think it's a really great invention and a big mess at the same time. All I know that the companies should've really agreed on one format in the first place. It's all getting a bit too confusing.

This post has been edited by jizmo: Jan 10 2007, 08:04 AM

pennywisdom

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »

doesnt something like this somewhat defeat the entire purpose of the format war?

incredipinoy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 12:22:00 AM »

Wow Thomas Edison is alive!

Corporal Mantis

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 01:36:00 AM »

Well its either That or This: http://www.oppodigit...81hd_index.html

icedemon360

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 02:34:00 AM »

Dual format players, now dual formt discs. Someone's been wasting alot of money.

fanle

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2007, 03:43:00 AM »

erm what is the point

u get a dual format player so u can play both formats so u get all the movies available and they release a disk with both formats on it

I really dont c the point in this at all

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2007, 05:22:00 AM »

it kills the need for a multiformat player. also it would mean all movies can be realesed no matter if its owned by sony or m$.

This post has been edited by luther349: Jan 10 2007, 01:23 PM

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 04:59:00 AM »

Better imho, if you have a 360 & HD-DVD player and a PS3 for Blu-Ray and if one format goes kaput then you won't lose your investment or have to buy another format. It's actually what Sony should have done with UMD, combine a regular DVD with a UMD movie for the same price.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 05:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(bucko @ Jan 10 2007, 07:06 AM) View Post

Better imho, if you have a 360 & HD-DVD player and a PS3 for Blu-Ray and if one format goes kaput then you won't lose your investment or have to buy another format. ...

How exactly do you figure?

The actual media itself is far more of an investment then the player... Spending $200 on an HD-DVD drive for the 360, I only have to buy a handful of discs before I've got more of an investment in the discs then in the player... if HD-DVD goes "kaput" then I wont be able to find new HD-DVD players and the media I bought I'll have to re-buy in BluRay if I want to keep watching those films in every day devices like PCs, or next-next generation consoles, etc.

As someone who buys a whole lot of discs media this whole thing is VERY important to me... my DVD movie collection just past the 370 mark mostly special/limited editions... Some of it I have no problem leaving in DVD, but there are probably 50-100 films that I WILL buy in an HD format, as well as new releases that I'm not buying in any format as I wait for a clear signal which way this war is turning out.

That much media is a serious investment and it goes beyond just owning both players now... how future proof is that media?

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 06:40:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Jan 10 2007, 06:34 AM) View Post

How exactly do you figure?

The actual media itself is far more of an investment then the player... Spending $200 on an HD-DVD drive for the 360, I only have to buy a handful of discs before I've got more of an investment in the discs then in the player... if HD-DVD goes "kaput" then I wont be able to find new HD-DVD players and the media I bought I'll have to re-buy in BluRay if I want to keep watching those films in every day devices like PCs, or next-next generation consoles, etc.

As someone who buys a whole lot of discs media this whole thing is VERY important to me... my DVD movie collection just past the 370 mark mostly special/limited editions... Some of it I have no problem leaving in DVD, but there are probably 50-100 films that I WILL buy in an HD format, as well as new releases that I'm not buying in any format as I wait for a clear signal which way this war is turning out.

That much media is a serious investment and it goes beyond just owning both players now... how future proof is that media?

He means that if you own these new hybrid discs, it doesn't matter which player breaks or format wins because the disc you have can be played on either player.  It's sad that 2 formats exist, but this hybrid does solve the major problem of compatibility.

I just can't wait for the day we don't need discs anymore and media is distributed digitally on broadband and stored on hard drives - kind of like a HTPC or modded xbox.  I rip my DVD collection as I buy them to store on such devices.  Having access to dozens or hundreds of files with no loading time is wonderful - can't remember the last time I waited for a media disc to load...

sinister slipknot

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 08:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(pennywisdom @ Jan 10 2007, 07:06 AM) View Post

doesnt something like this somewhat defeat the entire purpose of the format war?

I think thats the point, many companies have invested into both formats, so it sorts of saves a group from potentially losing millions.

QUOTE(fanle @ Jan 10 2007, 10:50 AM) View Post

erm what is the point

u get a dual format player so u can play both formats so u get all the movies available and they release a disk with both formats on it

I really dont c the point in this at all

Yeah but what if you have a dual format player and you bought a HD DVD and took it to watch at a friend's who only has a blu-ray player? If you buy a dual format disc then it works everywhere, and is the better solution.

Virtucon

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »

These dual format disc/players just ensure that the loosing format will linger for years now.  and I don't see how that would be good.
Pages: [1] 2