xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Streaming With Windows Xp Pro - Wmv Only?  (Read 107 times)

acribb

• Archived User
Streaming With Windows Xp Pro - Wmv Only?
« on: December 06, 2006, 07:59:00 AM »

Spent several hours last night trying to get other file types besides .wmv to stream through my XP machine with both Tversity (with Transcoding turned off) and WMP 11.

No joy.

I was under the impression that you could stream mpeg, mpeg2, and wmv files, and that those were 'allowable' media types.  I could only get wmv files streaming.  The other mpg file types would not even show up on the xbox 360 with WMP 11 and would show up in Tversity (with Transcoding off), but would not play.

Is any one out there with a Windows XP machine (not Media Center), able to succesfully stream mpg, mpg2, wmv files, or even .TS files?

Can people with MCE 2005 still stream (without transcoding) TS files using HDTVPump?  

Do mpg and mpeg2 files still stream (without transcoding) with MCE 2005?  

Can you still play a 'licensed' WMV HD with the process described here via MCE 2005? - http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=3081677   When I follow these instructions on my Windows XP machine, I can get the video to play through WMP 11, since it acquires the license fine, but when I try and play it on the xbox 360, I get the error message that this file doesn't have the rights to play or something like that.

I guess what i'm really wondering is if an upgrade to MCE 2005 is going to allow me to play more file types, including the T2 Extreme Edition WMV HD I would love to see on a big screen, or if I am going to get the same results I am having now with XP pro.

I was thinking that maybe that latest xbox live update tightened down some security on what can and can't be played.

By the way, the WMV HD I could get to play looked and sounded outstanding.  Still the occasional slight glitch in the streaming, almost like it skips a frame here and there, but still very watchable.

Thanks for any insight.

This post has been edited by acribb: Dec 6 2006, 04:02 PM

2poor

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »

You have all applicable codecs (XviD, DivX, etc) installed on your PC?

acribb

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 12:05:00 PM »

From what i've been reading, WMP 11 will only stream WMV.  

Tversity will also only stream WMV when transcoding is turned off.

I have now installed MCE 2005, and find that I like it much better.  Nice clean interace on the 360, and the best part is that it streams TS files with HDTV Pump.

2poor

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »

In order for things to work properly, I thought you needed WMP9 installed as well as all codecs you planned on streaming from your PC -> 360.  Could be wrong though.   unsure.gif