xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: ***** Is There A Way To Rip Dvd To Xbox 360 *****  (Read 252 times)

kseries

• Archived User
***** Is There A Way To Rip Dvd To Xbox 360 *****
« on: December 01, 2005, 04:12:00 AM »

can you rip a dvd to the 360 hard drive like you could with dvd2xbox.or rip mpeg1 or mpeg2 from a cd or dvd to hard drive.

Beelzabub

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 08:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(kseries @ Dec 1 2005, 12:19 PM) View Post

can you rip a dvd to the 360 hard drive like you could with dvd2xbox.or rip mpeg1 or mpeg2 from a cd or dvd to hard drive.

Yes go to the settings blade and go to Piracy tab and choose DVD2XBOX MS Edition it will rip it to wmv

jk no you cant  jester.gif

zombie4rave

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 08:48:00 AM »

You wont be able to rip a dvd to the 360 hdd nor would u want to. Theres only about 12Gb available. Why would you want to eat up most or all of that space with dvds? Anyway, you CAN rip the dvd to your computer with dvd decrypter or something like it and rename the VOB files to mpeg. You can then stream them over to your 360 but youd need MCE 2005 to do it. If you dont want the movie in VOB parts tell the software not to do file splitting when it rips. Youll then end up with the movie in one big chunk.

boombashi

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 09:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(zombie4rave @ Dec 1 2005, 04:55 PM) View Post

You wont be able to rip a dvd to the 360 hdd nor would u want to. Theres only about 12Gb available. Why would you want to eat up most or all of that space with dvds? Anyway, you CAN rip the dvd to your computer with dvd decrypter or something like it and rename the VOB files to mpeg. You can then stream them over to your 360 but youd need MCE 2005 to do it. If you dont want the movie in VOB parts tell the software not to do file splitting when it rips. Youll then end up with the movie in one big chunk.

Or you can just burn it onto a DVD and play it in the DVD Drive - I still don't get why people want to play movies off of harddrives unless you are on a portable device like a laptop. The only thing I think MCE is good for is the TV Functionality, and for videos off the internet that don't exist on DVD, other than that what's the point.

zombie4rave

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 09:35:00 AM »

I agree to a point on the DVD issue. Yeah, you can burn it do a disc BUT unless youre using dual layer you are most likely losing quality by down-sizing the movie to fit on a single layer DVD and thats the part that bothers me. Im big on keeping things in the highest quality. On the other hand, I like being able to stream over HDWMA but its sorely missing the ablitly to do avi files. Namely DIVX and XVID. I have a ton of movies on my computer in these formats. Id love to replace my old box and XBMC with 360 but it doesnt look like thats going happen.

slcsnkman

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 12:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(zombie4rave @ Dec 1 2005, 09:42 AM) View Post

I agree to a point on the DVD issue. Yeah, you can burn it do a disc BUT unless youre using dual layer you are most likely losing quality by down-sizing the movie to fit on a single layer DVD and thats the part that bothers me. Im big on keeping things in the highest quality. On the other hand, I like being able to stream over HDWMA but its sorely missing the ablitly to do avi files. Namely DIVX and XVID. I have a ton of movies on my computer in these formats. Id love to replace my old box and XBMC with 360 but it doesnt look like thats going happen.

You really dont lose that much quality on a slingle layer DVD.  They work awesome

sp3cialk

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 12:32:00 PM »

Yea I've ripped down dual layers to single and then used XBMC on one of my old boxes to upscale the DVD to 1080i... never noticed much loss there

ShadowElitePro

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 05:33:00 PM »

Nope not now.

kseries

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 11:46:00 PM »

what about using the new ipod video and ripping the video files to the hard drive using the usb port on the 360.

babanoosh

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 12:53:00 AM »

QUOTE(boombashi @ Dec 1 2005, 10:14 AM) *

Or you can just burn it onto a DVD and play it in the DVD Drive - I still don't get why people want to play movies off of harddrives unless you are on a portable device like a laptop. The only thing I think MCE is good for is the TV Functionality, and for videos off the internet that don't exist on DVD, other than that what's the point.

I couldn't agree more. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

QUOTE(zombie4rave @ Dec 1 2005, 10:42 AM) *

OP said rip dvd, presumably original DVD no? So why even rip, just put into tray and play.

Nonetheless, even for a bigger sized dvd (+7GB), which is really a bunch of fluff that can usually be cut out anyway (extra language audio,dd 2.0, trailers, tv spots etc.), a 2 pass vbr recode with smart analysis will make an almost identical copy to the source; guaranteed just as good and in most cases better quality then most of your xvid/divx collection I'd imagine. I too have an extensive Xvid/Divx/mkv/ogm collection (100+ movies). I wouldn't be so hasty on Xbmc. It's literally the best media center extender ever made (imo). When I get rid of it will be the day Xbmc comes to the 360. Yeah BABY!

uberd0g

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 05:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(babanoosh @ Dec 2 2005, 08:00 AM) View Post

Nonetheless, even for a bigger sized dvd (+7GB), which is really a bunch of fluff that can usually be cut out anyway (extra language audio,dd 2.0, trailers, tv spots etc.), a 2 pass vbr recode with smart analysis will make an almost identical copy to the source

Yep, I'd just burn it to dvd. DVD Shrink seems to be the best and easiest app for backing up retail dvd9 discs. Just uncheck all the crap that you don't want and you'll get up to 70% quality on your dvd5 backup (and it only takes 30mins:))

babanoosh

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 08:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(uberd0g @ Dec 2 2005, 06:27 PM) *

Yep, I'd just burn it to dvd. DVD Shrink seems to be the best and easiest app for backing up retail dvd9 discs. Just uncheck all the crap that you don't want and you'll get up to 70% quality on your dvd5 backup (and it only takes 30mins:))

Better yet, Nero Recode which is really just a more up to date DVD Shrink (save developer). It costs money but it's significantly faster (and cleaner UI) then shrink.

zombie4rave

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 03:09:00 PM »

I dont like burning and storing a bunch of discs. I have tons of hdd space on my pc to use as a video jukebox. When I rip anything I never use Divx or Xvid. I leave them as regular dvds files. I just dont rip the extras usually. Only the main movie. Ive found that if I can keep at least about 80% of the original quality then things look ok but under that I can notice a difference on my 57" HD set. Nero recode does work well. Divx and Xvid are very popular formats though and I was very disappointed that these wouldnt stream. You can even see thumbnails of them on the 360! It just refuses to play them.  I love XBMC and will always keep it around until something better comes along that can do it all. The 360 can stream HD though. The orignal xbox is underpowered for that.

panabax

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 04:40:00 PM »

I have nearly 500 DVD titles (don't get to the movies much anymore).  Given the fragle nature of DVDs and the inquisitive nature of children (mine included) I have tried a number of DVD jukebox options.  Every DVD jukebox solution I've tried involved real problems, either in cataloging, distributing, or just being reliable.

Accordingly, I have created a 3TB raid array on my home network where this content is archived in both XviD and iso forms (I switched to all iso now that XBMC has decent menu support).  When I rip it, I can decide how much data to keep.  Usually, I keep it all, except other languages I don't speak.  When I run out of space, I will probably just get more since the $/GB cost of HD space continues to drop steadily over time.  This is the perfect solution for distributing digital video throughout a home.  Also, when I go on vacation with the kids, I burn backups of the movies I want to take from the network.  This way, when the kids are through destroying the media (which they do) I still have the backed up content, a legit copy of which I purchased.  To me, this constitues "fair use" under the copyright laws, and I should be able to get a consumer electronics product to play that content other than a HTPC.  The modded Xbox with XBMC is AWESOME, but it will not handle high def content which also resides on my network.  I was hoping the 360 would largly replace the original Xbox for most media streaming.  Doesn't look like it will.

These are great reasons for Xbox 360 to allow real streaming of video.  M$ must know that XBMC is THE killer app for Xbox and would be THE killer app for Xbox 360.  The only reason I can see for the brain dead implamentation of media features in the 360 is to enable M$ to require us all to upgrade to the Next Box in 4 years which might finally provide the functionality they should be providing today.

My $0.02

PanaBax