xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Arstechnica: The 360 DVD player: Mixed Results  (Read 348 times)

XanTium

• Archived User
Arstechnica: The 360 DVD player: Mixed Results
« on: November 26, 2005, 10:21:00 PM »

Arstechnica: The 360 DVD player: Mixed Results-- Posted by XanTium on November 27 00:21 EST
From arstechnica.com:

Unlike the first Xbox, the 360 will play DVDs right out of the box, and the wireless controllers make a handy remote if you don't have the premium pack.
I've thrown a few discs at it, with mixed results. The good news is that it is a progressive scan DVD player, and so far it has played every burned DVD I've thrown at it. The bad news is the video quality just isn't that great. On Episode 3 it looked decent, but my Samsung progressive player blew it out of the water. On other discs I noticed so very apparent dithering and artifacts in the black areas of the screen.

Read More: arstechnica.com

ibemonty2000

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 10:37:00 PM »

Been fine for me on a 51" hdtv at both 720p or 1080i.

-Monty

schizzlefuzz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 10:43:00 PM »

I have it hooked up to a 19 inch CRT through the VGA cables.  It's good, but it could easily be better.

alphacorvus

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 10:52:00 PM »

I've noticed it looks as though the 360's dvd player has the brightness level kicked up considerably.

Not sure why.

prankfurter

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 11:38:00 PM »

yeah i noticed the brightness was really high had to turn my tv down to make the blacks look better... looks pretty good otherwise on my HDTV

also that is just an journal on Ars not even an actual news article... but yeah i think its not a bad dvd player at all i have noticed no artifacting at all..

dulow

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 12:19:00 AM »

GReat I was gonna post this also but thought why would anyone care but I to see dithering and artifacts in the black areas of the screen I was watching HIDE and Seek.....IT even should real bad in the black bars that crop the dvd...

JoBlo69

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 05:16:00 AM »

remember that the 360 was made for games first and media second... i could really give a shit... if anyone out there bought this thing just for the dvd play back they must be stupid... there are way better dvd players out there for way less money...

So stop your bitch'n its a gaming console...  just happens to play dvd's... kinda... tongue.gif

Turbojugend

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 06:18:00 AM »

Who really cares how DVDs look on it?  Buy a damn DVD player if you want to play DVDs.

falz

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(Turbojugend @ Nov 27 2005, 08:25 AM) View Post

Who really cares how DVDs look on it?  Buy a damn DVD player if you want to play DVDs.

People who would like to run fewer cables, have a cleaner setup. (ME!) The 3 HD inputs on my TV are currently full, I was hoping that the 360 could replcae my current DVD player so I don't have to get a switchbox. Guess not!

--falz

airmike532

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 04:50:00 PM »

Hell considering how much I paid for my 360 I expect it to at least suck my dick, but I know that won't happen but it still should play DVD's better than the original Xbox.

Do you buy a pc for playing dvd's? No. But they still play them exceptionally well, MS could at least make a strong showing with thier dvd playback considering that it being an all around media hub was the main selling point of the system.

DeaDSOuLz

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2005, 06:28:00 PM »

The good news is, they can update this anytime they want over xbox live.  They contracted Intermedia WinDVD makers to make the dvd player for the xbox360, and I am sure if they get enough complains on quality they may update the software and improve things with dashboard updates.  It definately has the hardware to do exceptional dvd output.

Ninjaman

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 01:02:00 PM »

I've tried using DVD+R DL and the Xbox360 doesn't want to read it.... sad.gif ...hopefully a DVD-R will...try those out later.

maxlifo

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 04:07:00 PM »

It looks like shit through my Samsung HDTV (The one they use on the pods).  Like Arstechnica, my Samsung progressive scan DVD player does a MUCH better job.  Very disappointing.

This post has been edited by maxlifo: Dec 15 2005, 12:08 AM

ikecomp

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 04:11:00 PM »

I tried watching Four Brothers last night and it ran slow on my 360. Then when I paused it and tried to watch it again it just didn't look good. I played it in my xbox and it worked perfectly. Hopefully they will update this aspect of the 360 soon.

Scarpad

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 07:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(alphacorvus @ Nov 27 2005, 06:59 AM) View Post

I've noticed it looks as though the 360's dvd player has the brightness level kicked up considerably.

Not sure why.

Yes I noticed that as well when I played a DVD, but you know what I just set up MCE on my Laptop and streamed a Mpeg2 from it and guess what.. it's bright there too. I'm wondering if it's a Dashboard issue.
Pages: [1] 2