xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Xbox 360 E74 Hardware Failures are on the Rise and Full of Fail  (Read 535 times)

damam

• Archived User
Xbox 360 E74 Hardware Failures are on the Rise and Full of Fail
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »

I actually added a heat sync to mine a long while ago using an old PIII heat sync.  I cut it to size.  I have no idea if it actually does anything beneficial.  It might even be detrimental given the article above.  But i dont have any issues to date.  I also did the shroud mod as well. . .

(IMG:http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc89/damam_photos/f8740ab9-1-1.jpg)

Mushy2000

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(frieko @ Mar 20 2009, 11:22 PM) *

QFT

sunami88

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »

God damn it MS. If my Live subscription wasn't up till like 2012, and I didn't have some MS fun bucks still, I'd sell this frikkin thing right now.

SpikeMage

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »

2012  blink.gif
All set for xbox 1080 I guess.

batman91

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »

while ive bashed the xbox before for its hardware failures [3 rrods so far :'(] i have to say that the latest one has lasted a solid year, so maybe there is still hope. with any luck everybody learned their lesson and the next gen will have a proper setup from the word go.

proger

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »

Great, everyone with E74 errors are naturally the quickest to post, so now everyone assumes that everyone is getting E74s.

Devedander

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bjodom @ Mar 20 2009, 02:38 PM) View Post

I had that same problem. My 2nd xbox started showing a bunch of glitchy graphics. I restarted,  3 rlod. Restarted again, e74. It was like a 50 50 chance that the 3rlod or e74 would show up. I called and they said 1 rlod isn't covered under 3 years. They said they could fix the 3rlod though. I said fuck it did the xclamp, that only fixed the 3rlod. Still have a broken e74 laying around here somewhere.

So wait... you had a box that was covred by warranty, they offered to fix it for free and instead you busted it open, spent your own time and money to "fix" it and the result was you now have a box that has no wararnty and is still broken?  blink.gif

I remember when I first modded my 360 I did the paper fan shroud thing to seperate the two fans so the CPU and GPU each got one full fan pulling.  I wonder if it would be wise to also use some paper or ducting to shield the ANA chip so the hot air from the chips doesn't just go right over it.

g8crapachino

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »

Did any of you guys actually read that guys blog?   His chart showing the "rising trend of a disturbing Xbox 360 error" is based on unconfirmable results e-mailed in by a mear 15 people.    

Think and ignore the typical fear and panic mongering of some random blogger.  Considered the number of 360's actually sold,  15 units hardly qualifies as a "rising trend" plus there is no way to determine real failures from the random kid/fanboy/hater with a vendetta.

justamy

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »

Your first year warranty is with the retailer you are covered by the manufacture for upto five years by law. You just have to prove that its a fault with the product and not that you have mistreated it.  so kick up a big enough stink with m$ and they have to fix or replace it.

Albany

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »

Yep my falcon board died because of the e74 error (6months after I bought the thing).  

Edited by Havok:  Do not mention illegal activities involving retail stores!

This post has been edited by Havok: Mar 23 2009, 08:44 AM

wmxp

• Recovered User
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »

Ugg, the PR spin MS spits out every time a report of failures surfaces just irritates me. It's not a question of IF your 360 is going to die, but WHEN. I've spent a whole mess of money and time fixing mine.

1st 360, bought June 06: RRoD after 7 months or so. Error 0102 GPU failure. Fixed it myself using RBJ's x-clamp method. Arctic Silver 5 upgrade, etc. Died a second time a week later, so I heatgun revived it a second time. Did RBJ's shroud mod, and closed as many air leaks as I could. Bought the XCM high speed air cooler and addon fan. Even with that, it died again. Fixed clamps again, lasted a while died again. Screw it, time to buy another box.

2nd 360, bought around April 07: X-clamped replaced it as soon as it came in the door. (I didn't want to deal with Microsoft. I had friends send their box in, and get it back 2 months later! Or even the wrong one!) Did all the extra cooling mods...was running peachy. Then.....Error 74. Nothing I could do to fix it. Argh!

3rd 360, bought Oct 07: This unit had the new GPU heatsink. Didn't touch the x-clamps this time. Stuck the XCM cooler in, and then ran it with the lid off allowing ample airflow in but not exactily pretty. When the LianLi XB01 came out, jumped on it right away. Is now installed in that case, with a 12volt mod applied to the 120mm fan. Super quiet, and super cool. Convinced all my friends to invest in that case, and we've all been running them awhile with no problems. At least should you be forced to buy a new 360 now, you only need buy a $200 dollar arcade, and your XBLA content can finally be transferred with that website tool. Labours of love I guess. *sigh*

This post has been edited by wmxp: Mar 21 2009, 12:09 AM

leorimolo

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »

I had a falcon with this, I Xclamped it and now it works fine.

So yeah this can be a GPU error, not only an ana error

kingatrock

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »

My 3rd xbox 360, bought in Jan 08, died in June from this bs. So tired of M$'s FAIL trying to save money on faulty design.

JBmtk

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(damam @ Mar 20 2009, 04:38 PM) *

I actually added a heat sync to mine a long while ago using an old PIII heat sync.  I cut it to size.  I have no idea if it actually does anything beneficial.  It might even be detrimental given the article above.  But i dont have any issues to date.  I also did the shroud mod as well. . .

(IMG:http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc89/damam_photos/f8740ab9-1-1.jpg)

you might want to be careful doing that...I did that to mine as well and mine eventually got E74. I also read that it could do more harm than good in the case of the heat sink.

Also, if you actually read the joystick article, the graph is almost laughable. Their survey is only a handful of 360 users and their graph makes this look very misleading. I would take this with a grain of salt. NO solid evidence here..... We already know that the 360 has inherent problems with it, making it a hard choice to buy. Anyone denying this is simply a M$ fan boy (why would you be one in the first place?). Best thing to do is to get the Jasper motherboard and if you do have a later version, use a lot of fans!

This post has been edited by JBmtk: Mar 21 2009, 12:44 AM

fahrenheit

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »

Annecdotally, the E74 error does seem to be becoming more common and when I think about what might have a bearing on an increase in cases, the one thing that sticks in my mind is the revised GPU heatsink.

The additional heatsink seemed to arrive at the perfect time to coincide with this error.
Perhaps we are seeing new stresses on the BGA/motherboard that is causing failure in the region between the GPU and the ANA/HANA chip due to the imbalance that a floating heatpipe could cause?

I certainly haven't tested it myself and have no idea if there is any merit to that, but I'm just throwing it out there for the sake of discussion.

This post has been edited by fahrenheit: Mar 21 2009, 12:40 AM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6