xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: GamesIndustry.biz: Microsoft Needs to Act Now on Hardware Failures  (Read 472 times)

MadEx

• Archived User
GamesIndustry.biz: Microsoft Needs to Act Now on Hardware Failures
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »

I'd have to agree. Just last night, my friend who I would describe as an average consumer said something along these lines:

"360 has some great games, now and coming up but I heard the hardware is mad fucked up"

When someone like he knows that, it's not a good thing for MS.

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »

http://forums.xbox.c...PostID=12716953
I love the 360 it's a brilliant idea, the practicality of the physical piece of hardware is now quesitonable.  I've had to resort to using a towel to fix mine, the $200AUD price tag for MS to fix it is just ridiculous.  Especially considering the console was only 2 months out of warranty, I work in IT and most places like HP will normally give you warranty if it's that close to it.  6 months out no way, 2 months maybe type stuff, I got told by the N00B on the xbox support phone that warranty is warranty and
I had to bight my tongue not to reply sh!t service is sh!t service.
What's this X clamp Removable method that I've heard mentioned in here?
Check out the three red light club on xbox.com, I'm telling people to not give them anymore money buy a 360 second hand if you have to, we need to make microsoft hurt here.  Unfortunately the only way they're going to listen is if we hurt them where it hurts most, their wallets.
I'm thinking of going so far as to setup a boicot halo3 website until Microsoft acknowledge there terrible hardware and do something about it.  I'm beyond reprive now,  I think the towel trick should definitely render my warranty invalid but what about the poor mums and dads that have scraped to get their kids the latest in greatest, that's who I want Microsoft to help.  
You're dodgy bastards Microsoft and I'm calling you liars, not salesman just dirty stinking filthy liars.  I believed all your bullshit about 2-3% failure rate which I attributed to people not setting their consoles up in the best environment (tucked away in a tiny shelf etc), but I've treated my console with the upmost respect and it's never had a day where it's had any of it's vents blocked or anything like that, always good air flow and always kept clean (until having to resort to the towel trick that is).  Anyway that's my spleen vented I'm off to bed.

damam

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(spodee @ May 24 2007, 11:36 PM) View Post

BUT MS HAD BETTER GET THERE S TOGETHER CUZ PEOPLE WON'T PUT UP WITH CRAPPY PRODUCT FOREVER!!

MS has built an entire empire based on mediocre products that for whatever reason people continue buy.    So why would they stop this winning formula now?

I am doubtful that they will do anything to fix this issue And really why should they? so long as we the consumer continue to reward them for shotty work buy buying consoles at rate that exceeds their competitor their is absolutely no reason for them to fix anything.

running_wild

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(damam @ May 25 2007, 03:54 PM) View Post

MS has built an entire empire based on mediocre products that for whatever reason people continue buy.    So why would they stop this winning formula now?

I am doubtful that they will do anything to fix this issue And really why should they? so long as we the consumer continue to reward them for shotty work buy buying consoles at rate that exceeds their competitor their is absolutely no reason for them to fix anything.

Whatever reason? No, its the best reason - at least from microsoft's standpoint.
They have exactly what any producer would want - completely free third party support - by the millions.

Most programs these days have a windows varient - if not windows dependent. They have a foothold which will no easily be broken - that would require software companies to retrain staff, costing time and money with little to no revenue comming in. All of this to support a product which has a minority of the market share, quite literally a fraction of it. Its not going to happen any time soon.

richbambam

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(avatar1976 @ May 25 2007, 03:32 PM) View Post

http://forums.xbox.c...PostID=12716953
I love the 360 it's a brilliant idea, the practicality of the physical piece of hardware is now quesitonable.  I've had to resort to using a towel to fix mine, the $200AUD price tag for MS to fix it is just ridiculous.  Especially considering the console was only 2 months out of warranty, I work in IT and most places like HP will normally give you warranty if it's that close to it.  6 months out no way, 2 months maybe type stuff, I got told by the N00B on the xbox support phone that warranty is warranty and
I had to bight my tongue not to reply sh!t service is sh!t service.
What's this X clamp Removable method that I've heard mentioned in here?
Check out the three red light club on xbox.com, I'm telling people to not give them anymore money buy a 360 second hand if you have to, we need to make microsoft hurt here.  Unfortunately the only way they're going to listen is if we hurt them where it hurts most, their wallets.
I'm thinking of going so far as to setup a boicot halo3 website until Microsoft acknowledge there terrible hardware and do something about it.  I'm beyond reprive now,  I think the towel trick should definitely render my warranty invalid but what about the poor mums and dads that have scraped to get their kids the latest in greatest, that's who I want Microsoft to help.  
You're dodgy bastards Microsoft and I'm calling you liars, not salesman just dirty stinking filthy liars.  I believed all your bullshit about 2-3% failure rate which I attributed to people not setting their consoles up in the best environment (tucked away in a tiny shelf etc), but I've treated my console with the upmost respect and it's never had a day where it's had any of it's vents blocked or anything like that, always good air flow and always kept clean (until having to resort to the towel trick that is).  Anyway that's my spleen vented I'm off to bed.

jdsony

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2007, 09:14:00 AM »

You people denying it will shut your mouth 'when' it happens to you. I was a bit of a denyer until it happened to me at the beggining of the month. Mine was a June 26 2006 model and I bought it at the end of December so I only had it for 4 months. The issue is with manufacturing and likely affects every console. The issue varies on how long it takes to show up. Mine was taken care of extremely well so no, user error has nothing to do with it.

I'm not bitter anymore though because I fixed it by replacing the X-Clamps and screwing down the heatsinks. It's been going strong for a few weeks now with a lot of play.

droideka

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »

im on my second one after my release day premium started to freeze and give the 3 red lights. fixed that and it went well for a while. then it started again... bought a core.

It has great games but when i start that thing its always stressful... you never now when its going to happen.

Making things worse they start to ban people. LOL

Well i have lots of friends with 360 and all of them had a problem with the console. some just gave up, and with this strict policy about bans, well more and more are starting to give up as well.

People are saying that its just stupid to go and buy a ps3 to replace the 360. Its not that stupid anymore and with the awesome 1.8 firmware on the ps3. well its just getting closer and closer to the functions of the 360.

I have the 3 "next gen". the one i most enjoy is the 360 but with all this in one year? i dont know but the ps3 is looking more and more like the machine sony promised. Let there be a killer app and bye bye 360. My friend list its starting to migrate from the 360 to the ps3. Slowly but steadly.

damam

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »

QUOTE(running_wild @ May 25 2007, 04:14 AM) View Post

Whatever reason? No, its the best reason - at least from microsoft's standpoint.
They have exactly what any producer would want - completely free third party support - by the millions.

Most programs these days have a windows varient - if not windows dependent. They have a foothold which will no easily be broken - that would require software companies to retrain staff, costing time and money with little to no revenue comming in. All of this to support a product which has a minority of the market share, quite literally a fraction of it. Its not going to happen any time soon.

and most users these days dont need any of that.  All they need is a solid OS, with a word processor, an internet browser, and an email client.  corporations have been fooled into thinking they need to buy these products from MS because there is nothing else out there or because of 3rd party support.  While I do agree with you that windoze has great 3rd party support, I disagree with you that the average user and small company will ever take advantage of that past the point where it makes sense to not go with linux or a mac.  This foothold is all in peoples heads.

the xbox 360 has had fantastic sales.  there is no doubt about it.  They continue to outsell sony by a fairly large margin.  So why should MS change, or try to fix anything?  We live in a market driven society, and they have a model that works well.  Early adopters of anything MS are bound to feel pain.  Its part of their MO, early adopters are the beta testers.  We have known this for years.  My guess is that MS will finally "fix" this issue, when it makes financial sense to move to 65nm simply by reducing heat output.  The funnly thing is that they could easily implement something as simple as RBJTechs shroud mod for nearly nothing (its just molded plastic) and eliminate a good number of these cases all together.  But why even do that until it hits them in their pocket book?

alcame

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »

i've had the red rings and problems with the 360 as well and about half of my friends on live have had the issue as well. i think part of the problem is microsoft only has so long to test the system before releasing it. another problem is cooling the system. the system runs way too hot and i'd like to see a smaller processor and better venting in the future. i tend to think people complain too much about products, but in this instance, there is some truth to an excessive failure rate.

kowrip

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2007, 10:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(chuckthefuk @ May 25 2007, 07:21 AM) View Post

Its true..  the word on the street....   If you want good games and a system that will breakdown get a 360.  if u want crappy games and a perfect system get a Wii...  if you want third degree burns and shotty physics get a PS3.

WORD.

LMAO  laugh.gif

STiCKyiKyBuDz

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »

4 xbox replacements within 1 1/2 years from launch for me. REALLY PISSED. I want a stable system that won't fuck up..  grr.gif  muhaha.gif

Jinkz

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2007, 12:42:00 PM »

I'm waiting for my 2nd xbox to come back from the MS shop.

Customer service is fantastic, had both of them (when this one comes back) repaired, picked up and sent back to me for free, and the last console I had was a brand new one in the wrapper.

Can't fault them, the first time they replaced it, it was even out of it's 1 year warranty!

gli7ch

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(richbambam @ May 25 2007, 11:34 AM) View Post

Just how  feel m8

as mines broke think I'll end up resorting to scamiing a big chain store as they have some nice return policys here done it b4
what I'll end up doing is going out & buying a new xbox360 from say TESCO,get back home with my shiny new xbox360,then put my 3rlod Knackered xbox360 nicely back in the wrapping then a few hours later return to the store & just give them some bull about getting home & console is faulty not loading any games etc,& ask for a exchange (if i feel real cheeky may ask for a refund)show receipt that it was only purchased 3 hours earlier,99 times out of 100 they will just exchange there & then if they do look in the box very unlikely they will tell as most staff behind a big chain store wont know what there looking for anyway,dont know if any big chain stores have similar policys in AUS or US but in the UK ive done this times when somethings broke,do i feel guilty?,Do I F**K  biggrin.gif

This is retail fraud, and you are lucky no one has reported you yet, I hear it is alot of time in prison

ThUgLoVe

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »

IM on my 3rd 360.

i bought my 1st 360 New from walmart around mid jan 06.it died around mid november - 1st december with a video problem(rolling video that looked like only one video plug was in)

i bought my 2nd 360 New from walmart around mid november-1st december 06.it died around may 10th 07 with 3ROL 0020 error.

this time i picked up a used core with 2 games,2 controllers,memory card and intercooler for $250 about a week ago.

spodee

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »

Besides that being fraud RichBamBam in the U.S. the decks are scanned by by their Serial Number through the box and the serial is then printed on the receipt.  Any idiot at a store would then check to make sure your returning the same serial numbered deck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6