xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Microsoft's Xbox marketer Di Cesare Warns 'Evolve or Die'  (Read 94 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Microsoft's Xbox marketer Di Cesare Warns 'Evolve or Die'
« on: June 28, 2006, 11:55:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | June 28 13:55 EST

From next-gen.biz:

Di Cesare, the man responsible for marketing the Xbox 360 talked at length about falling TV viewing figures, and how that is impacting games messaging.
Di Cesare noted how we're "shifting from TV to the web."  He then quoted advertising mogul Donny Deutsch: "Advertising will change more in the next 5 years than it has in the last fifty."
"evolve or die," he added,  urging game marketers to "embrace a mix of alternatives.  That doesn't mean the thirty-second spot will go away.  I think it will be a pillar of your media mix."

He explained the Halo 2 launch.  "The overall strategy was something we called: Feed the Core, Captivate the Masses."  Microsoft treated the launch like a blockbuster film.
Di Cesare also talked about the underground campaign: ilovebees.  "The interesting thing with ilovebees is, from a PR point of view, we never acknowledged its existence," he said.

Read More: next-gen.biz

xboxexpert

• Recovered User

dabigdilla

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 11:57:00 AM »

interesting.  I definitely think marketing must broaden its horizons as many of us do look to the web for info on the latest gaming news and new releases.  I myself never watch TV, and if my tv is on, its usually to play my xbox.  not only that, but information and word of mouth travels much faster on the web than thru radio and tv, where a quick popup ad or whatever will also lead you to much more information than a tv spot with a website mentioned to somebody sittin on the couch?

you add portable devices into it (cell phones, pda's, handhelds) and there's a lot of opportunity to reach more people.

damam

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 12:39:00 PM »

I remember the first time I saw an add implanted in a game, i thought it was only going to be a matter of years before I would be forced to watch mountain dew commercials between levels . . .

stanneh

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 12:56:00 PM »

In other words lets try to be like nintendo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

bring on the hypno toad imo.

(IMG:http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/hypno-toad/hypnotoad.jpg)

Joergen

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 03:42:00 PM »

I agree.. TV as a whole really has to evolve or start eroding.  TV is not immune to new technology, computers and videogames CAN do what TV did to radio, push it into a far more marginal role.

You have to remember that TV pretty much murdered radio back in the day when most people listened to radio in their home and radio was THE source  for news, music and entertainment (like shows the same as tv shows). Radio has really only kept going thanks to automobiles where music and aural information is most at home. Only REALLY old folks seem to still listen to the radio at home.

I pretty much only watch TV for news and sports, both things where I actually want to SEE what happens. I do watch old TV series off DVD though, like Seinfeld, Friends, Simpsons, aforementioned Futurama. But I couldnt care less about current series.

Now, movies are a separate entity and I havent watched a TV-broadcasted movie for years either. I do use the "TV screen" for watching movies off DVD but I dont watch "TV". When HD format discs arrive this will only increase, as the superior quality combined with "choose when you watch" is a killer combination.

Tonight, as almost all nights in the past year I choose to surf the net, write some mumblings into forums and play some PC or console game.. instead of sitting on the sofa all evening like I did as a wee lad.

This post has been edited by Joergen: Jun 28 2006, 10:42 PM

kafiend

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 05:35:00 PM »

Buying advertising space in a game is becoming an almost essential part of a game development budget.

Also we are surrounded by advertising. Signage in real life AND on the sidings at sports events for example.  In a drive for realism, game developers are almost forced into including them into a game as part of the flora and fauna.

edit... and different subject.

The final straw for me in gaming will be commercials during loading times between levels...  *shudders*

This post has been edited by kafiend: Jun 29 2006, 12:39 AM

grogger13

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 07:50:00 PM »

plenty of peolpe still watch tv and it will never go away, i really dont see why this is being reported