xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wireless Problems  (Read 792 times)

Sobersally

• Archived User
Wireless Problems
« on: January 22, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »

Hello

I have a wireless set up with the MN740 wireless adapter hooked up to my xbox1. I have a WRT54GS router hooked up to my computer. I get about anywhere from 15 to 48 mps when hooked up to the xbox. Is there a way I can improve this wireless connection? For example a wireless repeater? The streams from XMBC are always buffering. Any insight would help. I tried a new router but that didn't improve signal strength. Also, are there wireless adapters that are stronger than 54mps? It seems like I won't ever get better strength if my adapter can only handle 54mps.

Thanks

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Wireless Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »

There is a wireless adapter on the market that can be modified to work with the xbox but I dunno if it was N or G but this solution would require you to flash the MN740 firmware to it.

We would need more info on your setup to give more ideas on improving your speed.

Is your xbox the only thing on the wireless network?
How far from the router is the xbox?
When you say "streaming" are you streaming from the internet, or from your PC?
What are you streaming? Music? Video? What resolution video?
Do devices on your wireless network have access to the internet? If so, is it secured?
Is it possible that your key has been compromised?

steveo1978

• Recovered User
Wireless Problems
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »

I believe the xbox itself maxs out at 10mbs. The fastest I have ever been able to transfer files between the xbox and a Pc with a crossover cable is about 8mbs. So there is nothing "wrong" with the hardware you have its just the xbox isnt built for alot of speed

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Wireless Problems
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 02:35:00 AM »

Depending on what and from where, the O.P. is "streaming", there should be no buffering at all. I can stream music and standard definition video all day long from my PC or another xbox to an xbox without issue, which is why I asked for more info on his setup. The only time I run into "buffering" is when watching movie trailers from the net because I basically have DSL.

Most likely, it will be a hardware misconfiguration or failure, depending on the content being streamed.

and no, the xbox is capable of FTP speeds faster than 10mbps, some have reported much higher however I have topped at about 12. At any rate, it is fast enough to stream mp3's and, standard def video locally without buffering.

Also, as a side note, transferring data through FTP and streaming music/video are 2 very different things.

This post has been edited by xboxmods2977: Jan 29 2010, 10:43 AM