xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xblive And Mod Turned On  (Read 98 times)

feflicker

• Archived User
Xblive And Mod Turned On
« on: December 10, 2002, 08:26:00 PM »

Please do not answer this question, unless you are positive you know the answer. If you only "read it" in a forum, you do not know for sure. Thanks, I just want to be 100% positive.

**************Let's say I update the MS Dashboard, with my mod-chip off, to the new XBLive MS Dashboard. If I boot the newly installed *Updated MS Dashboard* with the x-ecuter mod-chip turned on, will I be banned? Or do I have to actually attempt a connection with the XBLive server with my mod-chip on to get banned?**************

Reason I ask: I do not have EvoX on my hard drive. I just use the boot disc method. I boot the old (which is still current to me) MS Dashboard all of the time with my mod-chip on. I would like to continue this after I upgrade to Live. I am thinking I would just have to remember to disable my mod-chip before bootup when I actually plan on "connecting" to XBLive.

Please help, I have searched the posts and read the tutorials, but I have seen to much variation in the posts to feel confident about making a decision.

shanafan

• Archived User
Xblive And Mod Turned On
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2002, 08:34:00 PM »

If you only "read it" in a forum, you do not know for sure. Thanks, I just want to be 100% positive.

LOL

feflicker

• Archived User
Xblive And Mod Turned On
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2002, 08:42:00 PM »

huh.gif Lot's of us have read this stuff, and read several different correct things, and incorrect things. I just want to hear it from someone who has actually done this, and really knows their shiznit.  beerchug.gif

opjose

• Archived User
Xblive And Mod Turned On
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2002, 09:12:00 PM »

QUOTE (feflicker @ Dec 11 2002, 03:26 AM)

Reason I ask: I do not have EvoX on my hard drive. I just use the boot disc method. I boot the old (which is still current to me) MS Dashboard all of the time with my mod-chip on. I would like to continue this after I upgrade to Live. I am thinking I would just have to remember to disable my mod-chip before bootup when I actually plan on "connecting" to XBLive.

Please help, I have searched the posts and read the tutorials, but I have seen to much variation in the posts to feel confident about making a decision.

The second you hit the XBLive tab or initiate a connection from within a game with your mod chip turned on, you will be added to the detected list and subsequently banned by the servers within a day.

The problem is that even if YOU are very good at being careful with this, sooner or later someone else will screw up your box.

Turning off and on the mod chip is not really a solution then, unless we are able to unban the boxes whenever a goofup occurs.

And that's "the last word".

feflicker

• Archived User
Xblive And Mod Turned On
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2002, 09:24:00 PM »

Geez. Just have to hit the tab, huh? I was thinking I would also leave the network cable unplugged, and only plug it in when I want to connect. But that obviously isn't going to make a difference if all you have to do is click the button and your hosed.

I agree with your statement though. I am worried "someone" else will mess it up for me!

If it *just boots*, with no tab clicked, and no connection initiated, with the XBLive compliant dashboard, and with the mod-chip on, no damage is done, right? That is what I gathered from your response. I just want to be sure my powers of deduction are not failing me!

So having an X-Ecuter, with a disable switch, is not very useful with XBLive after all?

feflicker

• Archived User
Xblive And Mod Turned On
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2002, 10:45:00 PM »

So having a disable switch, with the network cable unplugged, is currently the best solution?

Dropping to "Live Compliant" MS Dash, with mod-on doesn't hurt anything?

(This is why the xblive forum is so confusing... It is hard to get straight answers that everyone agrees on, when it comes to this subject.)

shanafan

• Archived User
Xblive And Mod Turned On
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2002, 11:36:00 PM »

I used to have my passcode enabled, but then I just got rid of it. I am the only one in my house that uses my Xbox so no worries. I guess it sucks when you have to share a video game system.

feflicker

• Archived User
Xblive And Mod Turned On
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2002, 08:17:00 AM »

biggrin.gif I know I am guilty of this too!  beerchug.gif

So having a disable switch, with the network cable unplugged, is currently the best solution?

mavmf

• Archived User
Xblive And Mod Turned On
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2002, 12:18:00 PM »

QUOTE (feflicker @ Dec 11 2002, 03:17 PM)

Yep, that's what I have been doing since the end of the US beta, when my 1st xbox got banned.

My new xbox with a switch ALWAYS boots to the xbox live updated dashboard and I have NEVER hit the live tab with the mod enabled.
As long as you avoid doing this you will be fine, until MS changes something at least...

halfwayhouse

• Archived User
Xblive And Mod Turned On
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2002, 04:59:00 PM »

Yeah I do that exact thing I have a disable switch for my chip if I'm playing some snes games I'll turn it on and disconnect the rj45 from the back.  If  i wanna play some live games I'll turn off the chip connect the cable back up no worries.  I've also gone into splinter cell with the mod on and clicked the download option with the rj45 disconnected and have yet to be banned so yeah disconnect and turn off the mod is your best bet been working for me since nov 15th (so far at least)

Fuzzy

• Recovered User
Xblive And Mod Turned On
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2002, 05:45:00 PM »

to bad we cant just generate hdkeys

feflicker

• Archived User
Xblive And Mod Turned On
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2002, 10:12:00 PM »

Wouldn't it be sweet it EvoX automatically patched your HD for XBLive on bootup, so that no matter what, you could easily "restore" your XBox to Live compatibility by simply booting into EvoX? (If you hosed it by accident?)

Or better yet, have a new default action for EvoX, called "Restore Live".