xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Lord Of The Rings - 3rd Age  (Read 1097 times)

Rabid1

• Archived User
Lord Of The Rings - 3rd Age
« on: November 16, 2004, 04:38:00 PM »

I think that this is by far one of the best RPGs to come out that takes directly from Final Fantasy's style. The background graphics are excellent and the THX sound is superior. You start out as a young Gondorrian in search of Borimir who has departed for Rivendell. As the game progresses you will be joined by an she-elf warrior, a ranger and eventually his dwarf companion as you follow in the footsteps of the Fellowship, with guidance from Gandalf himself.

The game uses the FF movement, you see the principal character when moving in the world, then the three active characters in the turned based combat mode. Just like FF you have the option between armed and magic assisted armed attacks, item use, or straight magical attacks. You also build up points to use perfect mode, much like the summoning points in FF. You use experience points to strengthen the different aspects of your character strength, speed, spirit, constitution, etc..

The game has many cut scenes using live video from the movies with voiceover provided by Ian McKellen. It also has many of the same downers as FF, the combat mode is repetitive, and the world itself is limited, but seing Mister Bolbo's trolls or the broken bridge in Morria make up for it.

I think the best part of the game is the co-operative mode. If you have young children they can play along easily with you, as opposed to the previous Rings games. They can even take the lead with a little help from you. Overall I would say this would rate 4.50 out of 5 stars. ph34r.gif

Iron_Man

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 02:28:00 PM »

Good way to put it man  beerchug.gif

Helios

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 10:42:00 PM »

Yea I got it a couple of days ago.... Its heaps cool  :D My favourite character so far is Idrial cos she has cool powers hehe  <

ZASADAR

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 03:20:00 AM »

This game is not my style I feel like im am stuck in a movie that I have no controll of and I know how its going to end    its like they took a 2d game and made it 3d theres only one way to go you dont get to choose what you say where to go or the class    I rate this game 2/5  tongue.gif    let the flames begin!

dont realy think this is good for gamers just good for lord of the ring fans

Iron_Man

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 07:31:00 PM »

It is for true LOTR fans but if you like Final fantasy I guess it's you Type game too.The movies are good but long, a humongus bucket of pop.gif makes it go by alot faster laugh.gif .I am a fan I rented it and liked it but I also rented Starwars battlefront I also thought that was good so I played both liked both yet, dint buy both tongue.gif

trigger_

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 08:41:00 AM »

Yeah Great game....I can't put this one down.

I just finished the Helms Deep level and thought that it was pretty cool to be able to stroll around Helms Deep! Gives a great sense of perspective that really adds to the whole LOTR experience**.  

**Guess its pretty obvious I'm a LOTR fan.   :P   <

Rabid1

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 03:15:00 PM »

While I am not going to change my rating ,I will say the ending left me wanting. But again this is just like the FF series. Also I do like the fact you can skip the movies if you like without risking missing something in the game.

Trigger I can tell you get ready to spend some time playing. Osgiliath is relentless. heheheheh

Helios - Idrial is a great character but Berethor, i mean, a hot Elf chick AND a hot Sword Maiden, c'mon the boys got mad flow!!! laugh.gif

ZASADAR - no flames smile.gif  It is just like the FF games in that regard, but they do a great job of creating the feel of the movies, so that is why it is a plus to Lotr fans. It is typical of console games. To get great graphics you sacrifice game play and length. For great mega playtime games you get less atmosphere and graphics.

yazeljr

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 06:58:00 AM »

i think it is a great game

This post has been edited by yazeljr: Dec 2 2004, 02:59 PM <

n3r0

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 06:19:00 PM »

im getting this saturday [christmas] i hope its good. <

popley

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2004, 06:51:00 PM »

yea, i dont really like lotr but i did like this game, big rpg fan, and the first turly turnbased game that ive played on the xbox. <

EvrWccn

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 12:21:00 PM »

Got 75% done with the game then had to start over cause my dumba$$ overwrote the game with a newley saved game :(

All well, it's an awsome game... I spent hours leveling my characters up.... just got past eastern Moria again, although this time Iridrial has all here spiritcraft powers, and the rest of the characters are near completion :D

Now I just wish someone would make a trainer file for the game :P

-EW <

SC2

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »

I enjoyed this game, but I think they shold have done it like PSO style, that would have been awesome ( a bunch of gimlis and aragorns on vega tongue.gif )

DSBenno

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 05:45:00 AM »

I'd have to say this is one of the worst "RPG" styled games that I have played.

It was extremely linear.... almost EVERY item found was an upgrade - which kind of defeats the purpose.  The game leads you along only one path....  You spend all your time walking a direction not of your choosing.  Wearing specified armour, and wielding whichever weapon you just pulled from a chest (which was coincidently lying in your path).

The scenery looks fantastic, but the rest of the game was soooo boring!

don't even rent it.

Anyone who enjoyed it (IMHO), has no idea what "fun" means. <