xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Game Won't Start  (Read 894 times)

MrMajst3r

• Archived User
Game Won't Start
« on: April 20, 2012, 03:45:00 PM »

I bought an original LOTR The Return of The King (PAL version). Disc is in good condition. Dashboard recognize disc properly. But when i try do play it, I can see only black screen. I've tried copy game to HDD, it passed without errors. When I play with HDD, also only black screen. I tried another console - the same effect.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
Game Won't Start
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 06:37:00 PM »

could try clearing out the cache.
never had the problem my self but could also be due to eeprom conflicts.
try using hexen to delete all un needed eeprom files.

This post has been edited by shambles1980: Apr 22 2012, 01:38 AM

Heimdall

• Archived User
Game Won't Start
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 05:54:00 AM »

...and a few more details might help!

How is your Xbox modded, what region was it originally, have you enabled NTSC on a PAL Xbox to get component output?

Have you tried launching from UnleashX by pressing the white button and selecting "run in PAL mode" or "run in NTSC mode"?

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Game Won't Start
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 09:12:00 AM »

A simple region issue would be my guess too. So if you're using a NTSC set console, as most PAL gamers will be for the ED/HD display options, that's probably the cause.  
Some PAL games simply don't include support for the NTSC output options. PAL Timesplitters 2 is a well known example.

MrMajst3r

• Archived User
Game Won't Start
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »

Xbox has TSOP flashed with Ind-BIOS. Originally it was PAL, actually it is NTSC (i use component output).

I tested launching games in PAL/NTSC with UnleashX.

I tested the game on another PAL console, with standard AV cable, and it also don't play, only black screen.

MrMajst3r

• Archived User
Game Won't Start
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »

LOL!
I tested this disc on unmodded PAL Xbox and it works OK.

So, the disc is OK. What can I do? I cleared cache, still the same effect...

What do you mean by "try using hexen to delete all un needed eeprom files."

Heimdall

• Archived User
Game Won't Start
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »

On a TSOP flashed box clearing eeprom copies won't help.

I suspect this may be one of those cases that fallenangle describes - a PAL game that simply won't play on an NTSC Xbox.

But just for completeness, when you copied the game to the hard drive, did you use DVD2Xbox?

MrMajst3r

• Archived User
Game Won't Start
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 02:01:00 AM »

Yes, I use DVD2Xbox.

You was right. When I switch to PAL in Enigmah, game is launching from DVD properly, but in 4/3 (in MS dash I have widescreen, but I will try another settings).

Is there aby possibility to change a game region from PAL to NTSC? Hex editing or something like this? It will be annoying to switching region...

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Game Won't Start
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 06:21:00 AM »

Sorry if the wording used in my first post wasn't precise enough. What I should have said is that some PAL games don't include support for any NTSC output. From what you've said I think you took it to mean just the ED/HD options ie. 480p/720p/1080i rather than SD NTSC (480i) as well.

So using an AV cable or swapping the UnleashX settings woudn't make any difference whether the Xbox was NTSC or a region changed PAL one. As you've found out the Enigmah region changer is what you needed to use.

As to your other questions: I'd imagine getting it to display properly in WS is possible as I've read here that this has been done using hex editing for the many other non-WS supporting Xbox games. But as I know zero aboutsuch things so I couldn't even tell you where to tell start. Is there a hex editing tutorial here?    

MrMajst3r

• Archived User
Game Won't Start
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 03:52:00 PM »

Maybe it is stupid idea... But i prefer mount a simple switch on console than using program every time... Is there a possiblity to mount 2 eeproms and a switch? I have another mobo 1.1 which is dead, I think I can desolder eeprom and solder it on wires. But how to do it with a switch?  smile.gif

xboxmods2977

• Recovered User
Game Won't Start
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »

Should be possible. The Xbox eeprom is 8 pins, only 4 of which are used (AFAIK). If you had a 3PDT toggle switch, you could use it to switch the 5+, SDA, and SCL lines from one chip to another. Soldering your I/O lines to the motherboard will be the toughest part.

Keep in mind tho that alternatively, all 4 of the required I/O lines can also be found at the LPC at pins 15 (5+), 14 (SDA), 13 (SCL), and 2 (GRND).

You could simply try connecting your slave eeprom chip to those LPC points and then boot. You make get lucky and find that the "LPC" slave eeprom chip overrides the master (on board) eeprom chip during the boot sequence, much like the way an LPC modchip (when detected) takes priority over the TSOP in the boot sequence. If this turns out to be the case, it would be a simple matter of disconnecting the 5+ from the slave eeprom before powering up the Xbox to boot from the master eeprom, or flipping a cheap SPST switch to boot from the slave EEprom.

These are all theories tho. I have never tried this mod (tho I might now), because electrically, it is possible if you figure out, and stay within, the unknown electrical limits, such as wire thickness, lengths, ect.