xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Nhl Is Back  (Read 4344 times)

TheODog

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »

I agree, but up here hockey is in everyones mind 24/7 even in the summer time.
Well i know its in mind at least.

Odog

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2005, 05:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(Spency234 @ Jul 19 2005, 10:19 PM)
You guys have the most expensive goalie in hockey, and have 11 mil tied up in 1 defenceman plus the goalie.  Don't get me wrong, you can't argue with giving Brodeur whatever the hell he wants, since I think he is the best goalie/player in the sport.

XBL_SUCKS

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2005, 09:00:00 AM »

QUOTE(Hercules Q Einstein @ Jul 19 2005, 06:21 PM)
God do i agree on the rule about goalies playing the puck hurting us. I guess im biased but i think thats the dumbest rule ever. While we might have alot of money in a few players that it mostly. Out of the championship caliber teams (Leafs, Wings, Avs, Flyers, Etc) we have the advantage to not being able to spend as much since we are as good of a team without spending alot of money (wich we cant afford to anyway).

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2005, 10:47:00 AM »

Yeah, i dont like many of the changes. Although i guess i could tolerate them if they actually help bring in fans and make it so i can actually watch non-local games on TV without paying for center ice.

I did hear something about 3 on 3 overtime, it might be interesting to watch. Although i dont know for how long.

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2005, 11:21:00 AM »

Oh yeah and the Devils got Larry Robinson back!

Our best coach ever! Ive wanted him back since he left.

TheODog

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2005, 09:46:00 PM »

Ah, Larry R was on OTR this evening talking about the deal. Larry is a great guy but I doubt he will bring the cup back to the swamp without his number2 guy, Scott Stevens.

Odog

XBL_SUCKS

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2005, 08:50:00 AM »

The Sidney draft is tomarrow I hope a Canadian team lands him, if not I hope he goes to Buffalo he can really make a difference there. My sleaper pick this year is going to be Philly watch out for them J.R. is hungry this year and he is a proven goal scorer. I just wish the season starts soon.

XBL_SUCKS

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2005, 10:37:00 AM »

I hope this years season makes up for all the bull we as fans put it with last year.

jaroc

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2005, 11:20:00 PM »

The penguins should have a playoff team in a year or 2.

TheODog

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2005, 07:49:00 AM »

It was all luck of the draw. It’s sad how the NHL is reduced to just picking their balls out of a wheel. Just shows you how the players together don’t have the balls to drag this out another year. I'm glad after 310 it’s over, but the fact is most teams will stay alive but as for being competitive it’s not going to change. Teams with money will always find a way to avoid any cap restrictions. You will always see a team like Toronto make dumb moves and pick up vet's from Random XYZ team and say "well they went with my hockey club the whole year, so their salary does not count." This cap was a total fucking waste of time on the players part for delaying it an extra 4 months, the owners part for being dickheads and wanting it all or nothing, and most of all wasting our time a whole year especially to those who lost jobs or didn’t get the revenue they would have if their was hockey on.

Don’t get me wrong, I'm happy their back, but from here on in it’s all an uphill battle to win back fans, bar owners and to those who lost their job.

Odog

XBL_SUCKS

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2005, 07:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(TheODog @ Jul 23 2005, 09:00 AM)
It was all luck of the draw. It’s sad how the NHL is reduced to just picking their balls out of a wheel. Just shows you how the players together don’t have the balls to drag this out another year. I'm glad after 310 it’s over, but the fact is most teams will stay alive but as for being competitive it’s not going to change. Teams with money will always find a way to avoid any cap restrictions. You will always see a team like Toronto make dumb moves and pick up vet's from Random XYZ team and say "well they went with my hockey club the whole year, so their salary does not count." This cap was a total fucking waste of time on the players part for delaying it an extra 4 months, the owners part for being dickheads and wanting it all or nothing, and most of all wasting our time a whole year especially to those who lost jobs or didn’t get the revenue they would have if their was hockey on.

XBL_SUCKS

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2005, 02:12:00 PM »

First buyouts, Tony Amonte and John LeClair have had their contracts bought out by the Flyers, The Pittsburgh Penguins should look into LeClair because he is a proven goal scorer and him with Sidney Crosby and Mario Lemieux would be a great line. If you have any updates regarding contract signing's and buyouts please post here.

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2005, 02:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(XBL_SUCKS @ Jul 23 2005, 10:23 PM)
First buyouts, Tony Amonte and John LeClair have had their contracts bought out by the Flyers, The Pittsburgh Penguins should look into LeClair because he is a proven goal scorer and him with Sidney Crosby and Mario Lemieux would be a great line. If you have any updates regarding contract signing's and buyouts please post here.

thomes08

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2005, 03:29:00 PM »

I'm from pittsburgh and i was so pumped for this last season i thought they were going to do pretty well with recchi, lemieux, and their young team that did very well in the second half of the season along with the #1 and #2 draft pics the last 2 years.

then i get the news that the NHL is back and i didn't think i could be happier

I just got back from pittsburgh with my brother and i can't explain the energy that is in that city after the big news yesterday, it's really great to see the fans back in it there after rough times recently.

In the paper this morning there were articles all over the sprots section, mentioning how people were waiting on the phone for over an hour just to get tickets to a game... i'm so fucking excited.

And they plan to have both lemieux and crosby on the ice together for the first game which is oct 5th, also lemieux's bday.

I think with the growing young players, still strong veterans like lemieux and recchi, and the #1, #2, and #1 draft picks the last 3 years the pens will be contending for a playoff spot this year and i think will be one of the better teams withing a couple years.

sry if i sounded selfish about my team getting crosby, but i hostestly think that team in that city needs this more than any other team.

so pumped hockey is back,
thomes08

XBL_SUCKS

• Archived User
Nhl Is Back
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2005, 09:07:00 AM »

The Detroit Red Wings, began a busy week in the National Hockey League's buyout barn by eliminating the contracts of defenceman Derian Hatcher, left winger Ray Whitney and right winger Darren McCarty.

The contracts, all purchased at two-thirds the value of the deal, clears more than $9 million US to spend on free agents after Detroit had less than $7 million to play with under the new $39-million NHL cap.

It also adds Hatcher's name to a growing list of prominent free-agent defencemen, such as Scott Niedermayer, Sergei Gonchar and Adam Foote. Hatcher is expected to talk to the Dallas Stars, his first NHL team, where he won a Stanley Cup in 1999. McCarty was a three-time Cup winner and career Red Wing.

Niedermayer, the 2004 Norris Trophy winner, has been linked to the Maple Leafs, among others, but it's expected his destination of choice if he leaves the Meadowlands would be Vancouver, near his Edmonton birthplace and junior hockey roots in Kamloops.

The Canucks have about $28 million in cap room, but must sign a whack of restricted free agents and most importantly, get unrestricted captain Markus Naslund under contract.

Niedermayer would give them a reliable power-play quarterback, but many feel the money is better spent on a goaltender such as Nikolai Khabibulin, given Dan Cloutier's ups and downs.

A radio report had Khabibulin going back to his former team, the Phoenix Coyotes, when the free-agency signing period begins on Monday.

The Coyotes bought out forward Brian Savage yesterday, while the Montreal Canadiens did not pick up the option on defenceman Patrice Brisbois.

AS THE Colorado Avalanche and Peter Forsberg appear headed for divorce, teams such as the Maple Leafs are expected to be strong suitors.

In Sweden, hockey fans already are fantasizing about a Mats Sundin-Forsberg union, though there also are rumours that Forsberg and fellow unrestricted free agent and Vancouver Canucks captain Markus Naslund will shop themselves as a package.

Forsberg's future with Colorado has been in doubt. To keep Joe Sakic and Rob Blake and restock the Avs -- Sakic and Blake were invited to a team news conference yesterday as a signal they're staying -- Forsberg would have to be sacrificed, with Alex Tanguay possibly moving to centre.

Forsberg has told friends that he prefers to stay in Denver but if that club's hefty payroll has no wiggle room under the $39-million US salary cap, he wants to go to a competitive team in a big hockey market. Cue the Blue and White bandwagon to welcome him at Union Station. The Leafs would even have jersey No. 21 ready thanks to Robert Reichel's convenient departure.

But Toronto general manager John Ferguson won't talk about Forsberg, citing NHL tampering rules, though it's interesting that he has met his agent, Don Baizley, in the past few days regarding another client, Swedish prospect Alexander Steen.

Before landing Forsberg or anyone else in the free-agent free-for-all that begins Monday, Ferguson has to iron out the Owen Nolan situation, with the expensive winger scheduled for right knee surgery today in Cleveland. Plans to buy out Nolan's $5.6-million US contract by Friday are snagged on the issue of how the knee still can be so wonky 16 months after he injured it. Was it his fault or a misdiagnosis by Leaf doctors?

The cost to dump Nolan could fall between $4 million and almost $12 million as agent J.P. Barry considers a second grievance against the Leafs. Ferguson continues to thrash it out with Barry this week.

Ferguson also is trying to see if he can keep some or all of Gary Roberts, Joe Nieuwendyk, Tie Domi and Alex Mogilny during this week's exclusive period for all teams to haggle with their free agents.

"We've continued discussions the past couple of days," said Rick Curran, agent for Roberts and Nieuwendyk.

Curran doesn't expect another client, defenceman Tomas Kaberle, to be bought out by Ferguson this week, echoing the agents for Bryan McCabe and Ken Klee. If so, that means Ferguson is counting heavily on shedding Nolan's contract to help build their current $12 million cap space to fill about 16 spots on the roster with restricted free agents, farmhands and UFAs.

I hate this damn salery cap thing, I would hate to see a bull shit season. Damn stupid Garry Bettman, I hatehim he should give up his position.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8