xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: A Tribute To  (Read 707 times)

JWJ

• Archived User
A Tribute To
« on: February 04, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »

I just felt compelled to give a tribute to the greatest cowboy ever,
Emmit Smith really new what it meant to wear that star and he wore it with pride.
Everybody please tip your hat to this great football player even if you are not a cowboys fan.
If you heard his speech yesterday then you now what I'm talking about.
So if you have any special memories about Emmit please feel free to post here I only ask that you dont make any hateful remarks please.

DuDeR MaN

• Archived User
A Tribute To
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 07:37:00 PM »

i watched his announcement live.  I honestly thought he would have one more year in him.

anyway I've had to hate him all these years due to him representing that star.  But besides that, I can't even ignore the impact he had on that team and the nfl in general.  He is a model player and I hope to see more players like him emerge.  I have great respect for him, no matter what jersey he wore.

now that i got that out there... cowboys suck!

ProSam

• Archived User
A Tribute To
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 12:06:00 AM »

It was a very heartfell speech, I was actually teary eyed.

I remember when I was in high school in Worcester, MA (91-95) and finding out that Emmit would be in my hometown for an interview with a local sports news legend. It was the biggest thing in our town in a long time and I could not believe it. I was in awe. I am still in awe to this day.

Here's to you ES :beer:

dmb062082

• Archived User
A Tribute To
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 04:00:00 AM »

Umm emmitt smith was a god. I have been the biggest cowboy fan since 1990, I know everything about the man, he is a god. Ive had the privlage of meeting him twice, he has been my hero all my life and I am not kidding, the man has been my hero for 15 years now (I was a little to young to watch him in college)  and probably the only positive role model in my life through email and first class mail a few times each season, belive me the man has time for some fans try to write him.  At 5 foot 9 he was  a giant and the mark he placed in the NFL will be there for ever.  I almost cried when he retired, it was such a shock to me.  I feel a little jeallous for wanting one more season of memories but i WILL get over it, at least he will retire as a cowboy, be placed into the cowboy ring of honor and the HOF his first ballot.

God bless his soul lets hope his face stays in football for years to come, my only dream now is that he gets on the A team fox broadcasting booth next to troy so I can continue to watch him through out my life.

The cowboys should have one of the best off seasons since gaining emmitt smith and others  in 1990 via the hershal walker trade btw. The 2005 cowboys have 2 1st round draft pics and more room under the cap than even the 49ers, no joke. Lets hope emmitts departure from the game will bless the cowboys with a new dynasty.

David

This post has been edited by dmb062082: Feb 9 2005, 12:07 PM

JWJ

• Archived User
A Tribute To
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 11:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(dmb062082 @ Feb 9 2005, 07:00 AM)
Umm emmitt smith was a god. I have been the biggest cowboy fan since 1990, I know everything about the man, he is a god. Ive had the privlage of meeting him twice, he has been my hero all my life and I am not kidding, the man has been my hero for 15 years now (I was a little to young to watch him in college)  and probably the only positive role model in my life through email and first class mail a few times each season, belive me the man has time for some fans try to write him.  At 5 foot 9 he was  a giant and the mark he placed in the NFL will be there for ever.  I almost cried when he retired, it was such a shock to me.  I feel a little jeallous for wanting one more season of memories but i WILL get over it, at least he will retire as a cowboy, be placed into the cowboy ring of honor and the HOF his first ballot.

God bless his soul lets hope his face stays in football for years to come, my only dream now is that he gets on the A team fox broadcasting booth next to troy so I can continue to watch him through out my life.

The cowboys should have one of the best off seasons since gaining emmitt smith and others  in 1990 via the hershal walker trade btw. The 2005 cowboys have 2 1st round draft pics and more room under the cap than even the 49ers, no joke. Lets hope emmitts departure from the game will bless the cowboys with a new dynasty.

David

WOW :o great story my friend I too wish he gets on fox next to Aikman that would be so fun to watch

enderandrew

• Archived User
A Tribute To
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 12:45:00 AM »

Emmit Smith wasn't half the back that Barry Sanders was.  But Emmit Smith played half his career behind one of the biggest and baddest offensive lines ever assembled in professional football.

Emmit Smith was lucky to be surrounded by a great team, and thusly won a few Super Bowls.

Emmit Smith and Troy Aikman are treated like gods, and were handed some Super Bowl MVP's.  But as I recall, Troy Aikman was 1-15 in his first stint as QB.  Emmit Smith didn't help that much.  It was the emergence of an entire team, led by an incredible offensive line, and an underrated receivers corps that made a huge difference.  Irvin was great, but look what happened to Aikman's, Emmit's, and Irvin's numbers when they lost guys like Alvin Harper.

When Aikman couldn't spread the ball to 7 different good targets, he wasn't nearly as good anymore, and he found himself getting knocked around the field.  Emmit wasn't carrying them to Super Bowls.

I'll raise a salute to Alvin Harper, Moose, Novacek, and the 5 behemoths that no one salutes.

If Barry Sanders had stuck around another year or so, he'd be the all-time leader in rushing in far less caries, and he did it with one of the worst offenses in the NFL around him.  He never had an offensive line, or a passing game.  Half the time, Sanders was getting hit in the backfield, and pulled a 5 yard run out of his posterior end.  Emmit just had to hide behind a line of men twice his size.

There is no doubt that Emmit is a hard worker, and a damned good back.  You don't last that long in this league, or put up those numbers just because you're a chump.  But I don't think Emmit is one of the top 5 backs of all time, let alone the single best.

I'd take Sanders, Sayers, Sweetness, Brown, Van Buren, Simpson, Dickerson. and Dorsett over Smith any day of the week, and twice on Tuesdays.  I'd bet my life that if Barry Sanders played the bulk of his career behind Dallas's line in their prime, he would have obliterated the record books.

JWJ

• Archived User
A Tribute To
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 12:08:00 PM »

Oh wait so are you saying that Arizona's O-line is any good he put up pretty good numbers last year and I'm not downing Sanders I have a lot of respect for him he was a great back but Emmitt had a love of the game that I have never seen before and wanted to keep playing as long as he could I cant say the same about Sanders can you

dizturbd

• Archived User
A Tribute To
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 11:28:00 PM »

You gotta add Roger Craig to that list, too.  Emmitt's career was wonderful, but Barry was wonderful(squared).  With the offensive line that Emmitt had, Troy could have QB sneaked his way to the Superbowl.  Emmitt was good enough to be better than me, but never could he have been as good as Barry.  Barry left too early and Dickerson got screwed by getting traded too early.  Good luck to Ladanian Tomlinson, who may just be the best back ever.  No one will ever get a chance to break this record.   Curtis Martin could come close, but he's gonna tire out after this last season.  The Bus is retiring.  Good job, Barry.  You could have cemented yourself as the greatest NFL player of all time, but you chose the easy way out.  My hat goes out to all of the players that don't quit on their teammates.  I think Barry is the best runner of all time.  But, I have to say Emmitt is a better NFL football player than Barry, because he didn't quit on his team.

JWJ

• Archived User
A Tribute To
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 03:22:00 PM »

I agree a little with you I agree that Emmitt would never walk out on his team but thats not the only thing I admire about him I admire his sacrifice,courage,and his commitment if you remember that game where he got injured (I think it was his knee) and he heroicly came back that very game to help lead his team to victory  thats the kind of football player I like to watch not those Randy Moss types who think theyre better than everyboby else