xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Katrina  (Read 636 times)

Shoue

• Archived User
Katrina
« on: August 29, 2005, 07:55:00 PM »

wow, what a storm. Heart goes out to new orleans and people in Mississippi.  sad.gif

runawaywarthog

• Archived User
Katrina
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 07:09:00 PM »

i agree. its amazing how hard that thing hit. expected death toll in the hundreds sad.gif

Juniorman030790

• Archived User
Katrina
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 07:42:00 PM »

I live about 40 miles north east of New Orleans and luckily didn't catch anything from that evil bitch Katrina; not even a drop of rain.  The whole city is being Evacuated because it is completely under water. I saw wal-mart on tv and it was up to the roof of the store :o    There are probably going to be more victims than hundreds more like thousands. The rescue boats don't even have time to worry about dead bodies right now because they are still looking for the people trapped in attics and on house tops. It is really sad how people are pillaging through department stores stealing racks and racks of clothes and food. I luckily live in Alexandria which is as of now the base where FEMA and RedCross and the other rescue crews are stationed to work from. All the refugees are here from New Orleans and Mississippi. Every hotel in the state is BOOKED. No openings. A local holiday inn opened up their ball room and dining rooms to refugees so they could make pallets and makeshift beds to sleep because there were no more rooms.  My thoughts go out to all families who were damaged by this massive hurricane.

You would think as much attention this crisis is getting that it would actually make front page of X-S <_<

marky-b

• Archived User
Katrina
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 08:02:00 PM »

its crazy to think that no one expected this hurricane to hit so hard. i thought it would be soemthing similar to the others we've had this season. man was i wrong.
for all those with a few bucks lying around, dont be afraid to donate to the red cross. i've donated $150. hardly enough to do much, but if everyone gave a lil bit, there'd be hundreds of millions of dollars to help out with the flood victims.

part of me feels bad for them, and another part of me is damn glad i live in minnesota

~marky

killerbootsman

• Archived User
Katrina
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 08:35:00 PM »

And i just bought an xbox game off ebay from a guy from Mobile, Alabama. It's gonna take like 2 weeks for it get to me.

Juniorman030790

• Archived User
Katrina
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 09:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(killerbootsman @ Aug 31 2005, 04:39 AM)
And i just bought an xbox game off ebay from a guy from Mobile, Alabama. It's gonna take like 2 weeks for it get to me.

:o You're worried about getting a game after one of the worst hurricanes of the decade has hit that area?! Marky gave $150 of the money he was saving to buy an LCD screen with to help out all the people who have been wiped out. Now, that's sad

Baner

• Archived User
Katrina
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 09:54:00 PM »

Don't understand how you can be 40 miles from NO and not get any rain... we got hit by huge lightning storms and tornadoes here in GA.
The power company I work for here in Gwinnett is preparing some lineman crews to send to Mississippi next week to help out. I'm trying my hardest to get them to send me with them, but I don't think they'll let me help out in my position.
Everyone knew it was coming, but for some reason, it seems like the weaker hurricanes of this year got more pre-landfall publication then Katrina. uhh.gif
They are estimating this to be the second most costly hurricane to hit North America. Something like an estimated $18+ billion dollars in insurance damage.
I hope everyone is safe, last death count I heard was 55, which I find to be pretty low for a hurricane that size and the damage it did.

xbox beat box

• Archived User
Katrina
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 06:44:00 AM »

"Being kept from these American people also by their Military Rulers have been the uncounted offers of assistance from Nations all around the world, including: Venezuela has offered their Medical Airlift Command for the evacuation of peoples trapped in these devastated regions; Holland has offered the resources of their Public Works Ministry (and who are the acknowledged World Experts for below sea level water evacuation procedures); Russia has offered over 100,000 temporary living structures, along with Military Personal to assist their American counterparts; Iran has offered 1 Billion US Dollars in immediate assistance and guaranteed 5,000,000 barrels of oil at $35.00 US Dollars; China has offered their Military Rescue Forces (Who are acknowledged as one of the best in the world for rescuing peoples in flood ravaged areas.)

All of these offers, and more, the Military Leaders of the United States have declined, and for the their previously stated reason: “The United States Government and its People Respectfully Decline your offer of assistance and refer you to our previous State Department Bulletin (NCO:13788) in which we had stated that this remains an internal action.”    "

Baner

• Archived User
Katrina
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 10:23:00 AM »

What can you expect? America is a young foolish country that is going thru that phase in thier life where they want to do everything on thier own, I think they call it the terrible twos. tongue.gif

Anyway, just wanted to say my number of 55 deaths was way off... that was just one county in Miss. and even that counties count is up to 80+ today.

xbox beat box

• Archived User
Katrina
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 11:06:00 AM »

It must be hell on earth down there in New Orleans.....No one is allowed in, no one is allowed back for months.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/08/31/D8CATNA80.html

Here in Ottawa Canada, radio stations have banned the song "New Orleans is sinking" by The Tragically Hip, great tune. It is censorship with a touch of class.

This post has been edited by xbox beat box: Aug 31 2005, 06:10 PM

bluedeath

• Archived User
Katrina
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 01:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(Baner @ Aug 31 2005, 10:34 AM)
What can you expect? America is a young foolish country that is going thru that phase in thier life where they want to do everything on thier own, I think they call it the terrible twos. tongue.gif

reidtheweed03

• Archived User
Katrina
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 02:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(xbox beat box @ Aug 31 2005, 02:48 PM)
"Being kept from these American people also by their Military Rulers have been the uncounted offers of assistance from Nations all around the world, including: Venezuela has offered their Medical Airlift Command for the evacuation of peoples trapped in these devastated regions; Holland has offered the resources of their Public Works Ministry (and who are the acknowledged World Experts for below sea level water evacuation procedures); Russia has offered over 100,000 temporary living structures, along with Military Personal to assist their American counterparts; Iran has offered 1 Billion US Dollars in immediate assistance and guaranteed 5,000,000 barrels of oil at $35.00 US Dollars; China has offered their Military Rescue Forces (Who are acknowledged as one of the best in the world for rescuing peoples in flood ravaged areas.)

All of these offers, and more, the Military Leaders of the United States have declined, and for the their previously stated reason: “The United States Government and its People Respectfully Decline your offer of assistance and refer you to our previous State Department Bulletin (NCO:13788) in which we had stated that this remains an internal action.”    "

actually you jumped the gun, it does take a little time for news to get out because i just saw all that on fox news, along with all of the companies that are giving too.

Juniorman030790

• Archived User
Katrina
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 05:55:00 PM »

I think others may have already seen it but just now there was a report of citizens walking the flooded streets with AK-47's. :(  :(  :(  They were even shooting at police :o  :o

thesideinguy

• Archived User
Katrina
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 10:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(xbox beat box @ Aug 31 2005, 10:10 AM)
It must be hell on earth down there in New Orleans.....No one is allowed in, no one is allowed back for months.

well its pretty close to anarchy. my sister evacuated slidell to Huston Saturday and went to check on her house today. she talked to some local police and this is what they had to say. new Orleans is under marshal law. it probably wont be publicized and the media arnt really allowed to talk about it. the looters have basically declared war against the law enforcers. on cop tried to stop a looter and got shot in the head. a rescue crew tried to save a few stranded people and they opened fired on them trying to steal their boat. swat and the national guard are being overwhelmed with the craziness. its not that hard to believe said the police, you got a bunch of crack heads and gang bangers looting gun shops and pawn shops and arming up to clam any thing they want.  law enforcers have the order to use deadly force now, they are trying desperately to show these people that there is still law in the land under water.

o BTW, from my uncle , which is on the levy board in N.O.
all the pumps are inoperable, and 2 of the pumps are missing. the hurricane destroyed them and blew them away.  so that doesnt really help the water problem down there.

well that's the news i have.

bluedeath

• Archived User
Katrina
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 10:59:00 PM »

Civil unrest can spread.  They need to get this under control quickly.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5