xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Kerry And The Dmca  (Read 227 times)

feflicker

• Archived User
Kerry And The Dmca
« on: October 25, 2004, 12:42:00 PM »

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5425019.html

If there ever was a reason to support the more liberal candidate, this is the one!

Please limit thread to DMCA discussion only (in terms of the candidates views)...  :beer:

cainedna

• Archived User
Kerry And The Dmca
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 12:58:00 PM »

I'll be voting for Kerry, but I doubt he's going to be that committed to this quote. It's certainly a nice thought, I'm a bit curious if Bush has said anything concerning the DMCA, either.

feflicker

• Archived User
Kerry And The Dmca
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 01:01:00 PM »

At least he "thinks" about it, even if he doesn't do it!  ;)

EDIT: Bush and his cronies would never support changing it, remember, that would affect the large corporations that back them, not us consumers  ;)

The Bush administration is on record (Ashcroft mainly) supporting the DMCA, and actually exending it - taking away more freedoms, rather than giving some back  :(  

This post has been edited by feflicker on Oct 25 2004, 08:13 PM

OrkanMan

• Archived User
Kerry And The Dmca
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 06:01:00 PM »

On behalf of the whole internet community, let me just say that the only reason any of us are concerned about the DMCA and any other copyright law is because we are always looking for ways to justify all the pirated movies, video games, and music that we download.

Thank you for you time.

Sincerely,
  All of us

P.S. - Hey, at least I'm being honest.

feflicker

• Archived User
Kerry And The Dmca
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 08:59:00 PM »

On behalf of the whole internet community, let me just say that the only reason any of us are concerned about the DMCA and any other copyright law is because we are always looking for ways to justify all the pirated movies, video games, and music that we download

What does that have to do with the DMCA? We are talking about making LEGAL backups of files/discs/software/etc you own, which may involve circumventing security measures put in place by the manufacturer. I believe that once I purchase something it is my RIGHT to be able to do whatever in the hell I want with it.  <_<

Piracy has nothing to do with the DMCA! As you mentioned, those fall under intellectual property / copyright law.   :blink:  

estin

• Archived User
Kerry And The Dmca
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 09:10:00 PM »

people have the right to make legal backups of media they purchase. just because some other people abuse this and copy games,movies and cd's they don't own they shouldn't ruin it for all of us.  i don't think its fair companies use security to try to stop me from excersizing this right, and i don't think they should be able to.

brandogg

• Archived User
Kerry And The Dmca
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 09:59:00 PM »

Seriously. No one wants to make legal backups, unless you have retarded kids that throw your discs around the house or light them on fire. The only reason I bought a CD and DVD burner was so I could pirate games and music.

feflicker

• Archived User
Kerry And The Dmca
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 12:03:00 AM »

No one wants to make legal backups, unless you have retarded kids that throw your discs around the house or light them on fire

They aren't retarded, they just do what all kids do  <_<

And I know lots of people that make copies so they can have movies/software they can take with them wherever they go, leaving the originals safely at home...

OrkanMan

• Archived User
Kerry And The Dmca
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 08:14:00 AM »

feflicker:  Here's my original post:

On behalf of the whole internet community, let me just say that the only reason any of us are concerned about the DMCA and any other copyright law is because we are always looking for ways to justify all the pirated movies, video games, and music that we download.

Thank you for you time.

Sincerely,
All of us

P.S. - Hey, at least I'm being honest.

estin

• Archived User
Kerry And The Dmca
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 08:19:00 AM »

you guys can try to act cool by admiting you only back things up to pirate softare, but thats not all of us.  i own the original to every peice of backed up media i use.

OrkanMan

• Archived User
Kerry And The Dmca
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 08:23:00 AM »

It's possible to make backups of most things you own...it's just not legal.  But, the people who want to make illegal backups are already doing it because they know nothing is going to happen to them.

So...why are so many people concerned about their freedom to make backups, when they are the same people who do it anyways?

Im my opinion, most of us are just going around bashing the DMCA, as well as other copyright laws, because we don't want to pay for things we can download for free.  After all, don't most of us here have a modded Xbox?  (One could assume that most of us also have pirated xbox games, which is the truth.)

OrkanMan

• Archived User
Kerry And The Dmca
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 08:23:00 AM »

Wait a minute...I don't consider myself cool for doing that.

I'm just being honest.

Arvarden

• Archived User
Kerry And The Dmca
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 08:28:00 AM »

It's not hard to trace who you are so by admitting the crime you better be prepared to do the time...

:lol:

OrkanMan

• Archived User
Kerry And The Dmca
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 08:37:00 AM »

The FBI knows all about what happens on IRC servers and newsgroups.  I think the first step they would take is getting subpoenas (sp?) from ISPs all over the country.

So, I doubt if they're looking over my shoulder on this forum. But, just in case, I'll keep my mouth shut about it.

Did I say I download video games?  No way, not me.  :rolleyes:

feflicker

• Archived User
Kerry And The Dmca
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 10:45:00 AM »

OrkanMan, here is my original response:

Piracy has nothing to do with the DMCA! As you mentioned, those fall under intellectual property / copyright law.

I am just trying to keep the thread on topic here. We are talking DMCA, not intellectual property rights  ;)

So...why are so many people concerned about their freedom to make backups, when they are the same people who do it anyways?

Because it would be nice to be able to legally do it, that's why. You shouldn't feel like the FBI could come into your home, see your backups, and haul you to jail without even checking if you have the originals. We all know it isn't very prosecutable, and a lot of us get away with it right now, but that isn't the point!  :blink:

because we don't want to pay for things we can download for free

That is going to happen anyway... That should be a crime, to a point. We aren't talking about stealing here, just copying your own discs.