xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: What's The Problem Between...  (Read 297 times)

OrkanMan

• Archived User
What's The Problem Between...
« on: October 22, 2004, 08:24:00 PM »

The interview of Jon Stewart on Crossfire seems to be circulating around the internet quite a bit for some reason.  I watched it, but I am clueless as to what the problem is between Jon Stewart and Crossfire, the t.v. show.

It sounded like Stewart thinks of Crossfire as just a gag and nothing to be taken seriously.  I've seen Crossfire before, and it doesn't seem any different from the other news shows.  Hmm...maybe I just missed the point or something.

cainedna

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 12:36:00 AM »

The issue I think comes from the fact that Crossfire takes itself seriously, while the Daily Show is well aware that it's entertainment. I've seen a few commercials for the Daily Show, mocking the idea of someone who gets their news exclusively from them.
Crossfire on the other hand is comparable to the minute hate from 1984. It's a lot of yelling, party line rhetoric on both ends, and manages to accomplish even less than John Stewart's show.
That's just how I see the situation between them. I don't have cable television set up (I could, if I wanted to...) I have way too much to distract myself as is, so I don't know the whole business.

mike96sc2

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 06:07:00 PM »

Crossfire was mad Kerry was on the Daily Show but turned their show down and they were mad John Stewart wasn't trying to ask Kerry any hard questions and John Stewart was trying to explain one he's not meant to ask hard questions or anything else, he's entertainment, bottom line. He was trying to blast Crossfire to having such low integrity that politicians won't even look their way. CNN and Fox News especially have lost a lot of the reporting of news and do a lot more of playing partisan politics anymore and sadly people have to go to the Daily Show to actually get some unbiased news.

The unProfessional

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 07:33:00 PM »

sadly people have to go to the Daily Show to actually get some unbiased news.

That must also be entertainment... because that statement made me laugh.  Jon Stewart is openly left-wing.  That's like saying people seek the O'Reilly show for unbiased news.

Gimme a break.

thomes08

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 09:30:00 PM »

QUOTE (The unProfessional @ Oct 24 2004, 02:33 AM)

That must also be entertainment... because that statement made me laugh.  Jon Stewart is openly left-wing.  That's like saying people seek the O'Reilly show for unbiased news.

Gimme a break.

i agree, the daily show attracts a lot more left wing people so he pleases them more than he pleases the right wing.  He has been open about that.  The sad part is a LOT, and i mean a shit load of people do tune into Bill O'Reilly for unbaised, fair and balanced news.

thomes08

iranhasblts

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 11:33:00 PM »

Fair and balance news doesn't exist anymore, and has existed since the formation of the jingoistic press. Everyone has an agenda.

brandogg

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 01:25:00 PM »

The Daily Show, hopefully to everyone, is used purely for entertainment purposes. I like the show a lot, but it is 100% biased in favor of Democrats. They do have lots of Republicans on the show for interviews, but any time one of them makes a point, Jon Stewart changes the subject, or tries to skew the conversation towards jokes.

moistness

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 04:03:00 PM »

OrkanMan

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 06:12:00 PM »

O'Reilly had a show not too long ago where he read about 8 emails from both Democrats and Republicans who said he was biased.

Do I think he's biased?  Well, from what I saw, I think he might be a republican.  But, apparently there's republicans out there who think he's a democrat.

So..who knows.

Colonel32

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 07:47:00 PM »

QUOTE (OrkanMan @ Oct 26 2004, 01:12 AM)
O'Reilly had a show not too long ago where he read about 8 emails from both Democrats and Republicans who said he was biased.

Do I think he's biased?  Well, from what I saw, I think he might be a republican.  But, apparently there's republicans out there who think he's a democrat.

So..who knows.

There is about as many Republicans who think O'Reilly is a Democrat as there are Democrats that think John Stewart is a republican. Pull your head out of your ass.  :lol:

O'Reilly said before the war that if there was no WMD's that Bush would be a failure and he wouldn't support him. He did, he does, he's a political hack.

John Stewart has called republicans the missing link to apes. Also a hack

Difference is that John Stewart is a comedy show.

Colonel32

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 07:50:00 PM »

sadly people have to go to the Daily Show to actually get some unbiased news.

:lol: That's insane and explains so much.

Just kidding btw guys  :D  

This post has been edited by Colonel32 on Oct 26 2004, 03:08 AM

OrkanMan

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 08:33:00 AM »

There is about as many Republicans who think O'Reilly is a Democrat as there are Democrats that think John Stewart is a republican. Pull your head out of your ass.

This post has been edited by OrkanMan on Oct 26 2004, 06:42 PM

OrkanMan

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 08:34:00 AM »

So..who knows.

Obviously, I wasn't saying that O'Reilly is a republican.  I was saying that people see him different ways.

This post has been edited by OrkanMan on Oct 26 2004, 06:37 PM

OrkanMan

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 11:41:00 AM »

The only problem I have with The Daily Show is how much of an influence it actually has on people.  Yes, I know it's just a comedy show and I'm not blaming Jon Stewart for anything.  In fact, I think Jon Stewart and I would both agree that people should look elsewhere if they are deciding on which candidate to vote for.  After all, isn't that what he keeps telling everyone?

Ronnie

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2004, 02:24:00 AM »

Jon's issue is that "news" shows like crossfire do no help the public discourse.He doesnt believe two people in that situation should choose sides and then defend them unconditionally.
The republican always sticks up for republicans and the democrat does the same.
It shouldnt be this way according to Stewart and I agree with him.
The side they should be on is ours,the publics side.Who wouldnt agree with that?

Jon Stewart is a comedian,when he does his show hes trying to make you laugh not trying to support one party over another.He does this on other shows.Dont take his show seriously but when he shows video of a politican it usually makes them look bad but he doesnt make them say those stupid things,they say it and he points it out.

Biased or unbiased....This is the real issue.Everyone who reports news should only care about the truth.Who does this?
Fox news is clearly slanted to the right and if you are a republican and want to watch a news channel that never puts down republicans thats your channel but you will miss so much.
I dont think ABC,NBC,and CBS are left leaning.I now know that all 3 anchors are democrats but there really isnt much room for politics when youre reporting on what happened any given day.The truth that is provided by those people isnt left or right but its the truth they choose to tell us about.

Anyway Jon Stewart was totally correct and Im so glad he did it.
http://neekole.com/weblog/archives/2004/10...rt_crushes_.php
----Torrent here-----

Everyone with a brain and not blinded by left or right already knew what he was saying but he opened the eyes of some people and thats never a bad thing.