xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: What Religion/denomination Are You?  (Read 1465 times)

AkumAPRIME

• Archived User
What Religion/denomination Are You?
« on: July 28, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »

Okay, Im only allowed ten choices, so if youre another protestant denomination, or any other religion, please tell me which. thanx, EHB

This thread is in response to waht I think this other thread  I just read was trying to do. It jsut did it very poorly.  

This post has been edited by AkumAPRIME on Jul 28 2004, 08:32 PM

BigMitch

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 02:04:00 PM »

Four kinds of Christians! Does that not show you anything? Even the "Christians" are divided!

I am a Christian in that I believe in Christ Jesus, but as Gods son AS IT SAYS IN THE BIBLE!

I am a Jehovah's Witness and for the record we do believe in Jesus but that he is not God but his son.

Jehovah is Gods name and even movies and tv shows admit it. The religious leaders of the world remove Gods name and change the bible to say what they want people to believe. I mean now there are "Christians" the believe in evolution!

The Bible is Gods word and he tells us his name and wants us to use it!
Psalms 83:18 "That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah,
You alone are the Most High over all the earth."

And you can check that out on other bible websites or in your own.

Here is the Jehovah's Witnesses web site if you would like to know more about what we believe or you can ask me, but I'm only 16 what do I know, Right?
http://www.watchtower.org

This post has been edited by BigMitch on Jul 28 2004, 09:05 PM

AkumAPRIME

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 02:13:00 PM »

I wish there were more than 10 allowable Poll choices, I wouldve included several other major denominations, but they wouldn't all fit. As for  Jehova being the name of God, Jehva is a corruption of Yaweh, the hebrew name of God, and Im sure Yaweh descends from some other name. Damn 16 year olds

BigMitch

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 05:01:00 PM »

Yes thats true Yaweh is how they said Gods name in Hebrew,. But to call it a "corruption" is not true. Thats just how i'ts translated.

This post has been edited by BigMitch on Jul 29 2004, 12:02 AM

AkumAPRIME

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 12:03:00 AM »

yes corruption is the correct word, don't be so connotatitve, think of the literal definition of the word

Zero

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 02:08:00 AM »

Agnostic but that Isn't on your poll.

BigMitch

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »

This is a small part of this jubject in the book "Insight on the Scriptures"

JEHOVAH

(Je·ho´vah) [the causative form, the imperfect state, of the Heb. verb ha·wah´ (become); meaning "He Causes to Become"].

The personal name of God. (Isa 42:8; 54:5) Though Scripturally designated by such descriptive titles as "God," "Sovereign Lord," "Creator," "Father," "the Almighty," and "the Most High," his personality and attributes-who and what he is-are fully summed up and expressed only in this personal name.-Ps 83:18.

Correct Pronunciation of the Divine Name. "Jehovah" is the best known English pronunciation of the divine name, although "Yahweh" is favored by most Hebrew scholars. The oldest Hebrew manuscripts present the name in the form of four consonants, commonly called the Tetragrammaton (from Greek te·tra-, meaning "four," and gram´ma, "letter"). These four letters (written from right to left) are ???? and may be transliterated into English as YHWH (or, JHVH).

The Hebrew consonants of the name are therefore known. The question is, Which vowels are to be combined with those consonants? Vowel points did not come into use in Hebrew until the second half of the first millennium C.E. (See HEBREW, II [Hebrew Alphabet and Script].) Furthermore, because of a religious superstition that had begun centuries earlier, the vowel pointing found in Hebrew manuscripts does not provide the key for determining which vowels should appear in the divine name.

Superstition hides the name. At some point a superstitious idea arose among the Jews that it was wrong even to pronounce the divine name (represented by the Tetragrammaton). Just what basis was originally assigned for discontinuing the use of the name is not definitely known. Some hold that the name was viewed as being too sacred for imperfect lips to speak. Yet the Hebrew Scriptures themselves give no evidence that any of God's true servants ever felt any hesitancy about pronouncing his name. Non-Biblical Hebrew documents, such as the so-called Lachish Letters, show the name was used in regular correspondence in Palestine during the latter part of the seventh century B.C.E.

Another view is that the intent was to keep non-Jewish peoples from knowing the name and possibly misusing it. However, Jehovah himself said that he would `have his name declared in all the earth' (Ex 9:16; compare 1Ch 16:23, 24; Ps 113:3; Mal 1:11, 14), to be known even by his adversaries. (Isa 64:2) The name was in fact known and used by pagan nations both in pre-Common Era times and in the early centuries of the Common Era. (The Jewish Encyclopedia, 1976, Vol. XII, p. 119) Another claim is that the purpose was to protect the name from use in magical rites. If so, this was poor reasoning, as it is obvious that the more mysterious the name became through disuse the more it would suit the purposes of practicers of magic.

afon

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 01:02:00 PM »

I cant believe you didnt put undecided. I dont know if theres a god, but i certainly hope on exists.

Baner

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »

afon, to hope a God exists won't help you find out if he does. You must believe he exists in order to find him. The only way you will find your answer is if you look into yourself.

BigMike, Christians have been split for centuries now, and for those who believe in evolution, aren't true christians. The Bible states of creation, and for those who ignore it aren't true followers.

jesusphreak

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 01:57:00 PM »

BigMike, Christians have been split for centuries now, and for those who believe in evolution, aren't true christians. The Bible states of creation, and for those who ignore it aren't true followers.

That's ridiculous.

The Bible says, "All who call upon the name of the Lord will be saved".

It doesn't say, "All who believe in creationism will be saved".

Baner

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 02:30:00 PM »

Never said they wouldn't be saved, just said they aren't "True" Christians. I place myself in that same category, yet I believe in God, and follow most of the Bible. The Bible says nothing about evolution.

nemt

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 03:15:00 PM »

QUOTE (BigMitch @ Jul 28 2004, 05:04 PM)
I am a Jehovah's Witness and for the record we do believe in Jesus but that he is not God but his son.

Happy birthday.  cool.gif

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 04:22:00 PM »

dont really care choice isnt there

realistically, im methodist, but i stopped going to church and doing all of that 10 years ago

thomes08

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 04:48:00 PM »

Athiest, you know, the one where you make your own choices on everything in life

thomes08

BigMitch

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004, 04:06:00 PM »

That's ridiculous.

The Bible says, "All who call upon the name of the Lord will be saved".

It doesn't say, "All who believe in creationism will be saved"

That doesn't sound stupid to you?

"All who call upon the name of the Lord will be saved"

Whats is the lords name then?

That Scripture is from Romans 10:
11 For the Scripture says: "None that rests his faith on him will be disappointed." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for there is the same Lord over all, who is rich to all those calling upon him. 13 For "everyone who calls on the name of Jehovah will be saved." 14 However, how will they call on him in whom they have not put faith? How, in turn, will they put faith in him of whom they have not heard? How, in turn, will they hear without someone to preach? 15 How, in turn, will they preach unless they have been sent forth? Just as it is written: "How comely are the feet of those who declare good news of good things!"

Thats is why we Jehovah's Witnesses go to your house.

Happy birthday.  cool.gif

You must have said that just because you know I don't celebrate birth days! Not even Jesus "birth day". For one thing in the Bible it stated that when Jesus was born shepherds were sleeping out of doors to watch over their herds. They only did that in the warmer months of the year, not in winter! December 23-25 ( I don't even know when christmas is) was all ready a time of a pagan festival and later on the false religious leaders made it into a "christian" holiday. Plus Jesus never said to celebrate his birth day.

But he did tell us to keep doing something in remembrance of him. and that is the remembrance of his death, or the "Lords evening meal", or passover. So once a year we do that, at the proper time.

I don't have time right now but I can post scriptures if you want.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6