xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Canada: Isps Will Not Be Fingering Users For Music  (Read 1081 times)

brahm2

• Archived User
Canada: Isps Will Not Be Fingering Users For Music
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2004, 06:46:00 PM »

blink.gif

shavedrat

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2004, 07:07:00 PM »

dry.gif

I dont know whether you should be busting the downloader or the uploader. I believe the majority of the uploaders on kazaa are just people who are too computer illiterate to disable the sharing. So basically you're catching the noobs tongue.gif. On the other hand, it would be difficult to catch a downloader, unless you'd like track them or something. I dont think you'd have much of a lawsuit with a person who just downloaded 1 song, opposed to someone holding 8000 songs.

Another thing I noticed was that some cd labels dropped their prices by roughly 5$ here in canada.  I thought this was a great idea to encourage people to buy the already overpriced music, however, if they can afford to lower it that much, are they really 'losing' that much money at their original price?  dry.gif Whats the money ratio? 18$ to the label, 2$ to the artist?

Personally, I hate to hear rockstars whine about piracy. Bands like metallica can kiss my ass. They whined about people on napster downloading their music and sent a 26 page list of users to be banned.  They say theyre losing millions, but then 5 mins later they're bragging about their wonderful rockstar life. Get hammered every night, get laid, do some hardcore drugs and party all the time. Whoo! I feel for ya buddy.  Most of us work our asses off make no money and then spend the little we have saved so some fat guy can wipe his ass with silk toilet paper.  What's that? You only have 37 million? My heart aches.

EDIT: No one noticed the wise wording for the topic title? No I will not be fingered for music.

IndieSnob

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2004, 09:01:00 PM »

I think it's great news for Canadians rights. I beleive whole heartedly in privacy and with every day gone by, we lose more and more, especially here in the states.

As for as how it effects the artists, I think Canada has a great system setup with how there's taxes on blank media that are distributed, doesn't seem to high, and benefits everyone. I think there's a slight amount of money that they make here in the states off of music branded cdr's, but I could be wrong.

As far as artists like Metallica and the likes bitching about others downloading, I'm of two minds. While they do have it well and don't need the extra money, it is still their property and doesn't give anyone the right to download it. I'm not saying I don't agree with those that download, but I don't think it's right, it's a big catch 22. I just find it funny how Metallica says they're in it for the love of music, but yet their show here last Sunday set people back $55 to $85 for tickets, that's absolutely outrageous. 99% of the music I listen to is on independent labels, who charge very reasonable wholesale prices to retailers so that we as fans don't pay an arm and a leg. The musicians and labels need to stop trying to look at the sales number and instead find other ways to create fans, and one way to do that is not have artists that have one hit song and absolute filler shit on the rest of the album, I think that makes alot more people liable to download just the one song. Who wants to pay $18.99 for that one hit single? (Though I don't care, I don't even want that one hot single.)

Shaolin23

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2004, 04:26:00 AM »

love.gif Ah Canada, I love you so.

GameDTX

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2004, 06:55:00 AM »

Ah, is these times i'm actually greatfull for being a canadian.

GameDTX

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2004, 07:00:00 AM »

QUOTE (brahm2 @ Apr 1 2004, 04:46 AM)
I heard on CBC

laugh.gif dude u watch cbc LOL

miklos

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2004, 09:07:00 AM »

QUOTE (GameDTX @ Apr 1 2004, 04:00 PM)
laugh.gif dude u watch cbc LOL

CBC has several radio channels...

miklos

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2004, 09:12:00 AM »

Nobody mentioned: it is not just the CD levy we pay here in Canada...

If you buy and mp3 player - there is an MP3 fee on it too. That fee depends on capacity, an can be 30-40 dollars for a hard-drive based player...

Stores like RadioShack actually advertise the price often without the levy for mp3 players, and there is a little asterisk next to the price. In small print they mention, that the asterisk means that the additional mp3 levy applies in addition to the price of the unit...

So you could argue whether downloading is OK or not, but we Canadians do pay for the RIGHT to be able to download...

And that was the position of the Canadian courts all along - the decision today just repeats what was said again and again: downloading is legal... ( and my comment: of course it is, since we pay for it...).

I really liked the example the judge used: he compared downloading to having a photocopier in a library. All books in a library are copyrighted - still, you can make photocopies. Why is that not illegal?

Just my two cents...

Col.Havoc

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2004, 01:08:00 PM »

QUOTE (miklos @ Apr 1 2004, 03:12 PM)
Nobody mentioned: it is not just the CD levy we pay here in Canada...

If you buy and mp3 player - there is an MP3 fee on it too. That fee depends on capacity, an can be 30-40 dollars for a hard-drive based player...

Stores like RadioShack actually advertise the price often without the levy for mp3 players, and there is a little asterisk next to the price. In small print they mention, that the asterisk means that the additional mp3 levy applies in addition to the price of the unit...

So you could argue whether downloading is OK or not, but we Canadians do pay for the RIGHT to be able to download...

And that was the position of the Canadian courts all along - the decision today just repeats what was said again and again: downloading is legal... ( and my comment: of course it is, since we pay for it...).

I really liked the example the judge used: he compared downloading to having a photocopier in a library. All books in a library are copyrighted - still, you can make photocopies. Why is that not illegal?

Just my two cents...

I completely agree.

Also, this is my opinion on this too:

You buy a movie/music cd and you watch it and of course like it. Say your friend wants to borrow it for a while. You paid for it which goes to whoever, lets say the producer, writer, artist, etc. Now, your friend has it, he doesn't pay a cent for it and the producer/writer/artist/whatever doens't see a a cent from it, where is this any different?

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2004, 01:12:00 PM »

Interesting you mention the photocopier...

It was only just recently.. that Canada started allowing us to photocopy more than just a sample of a book. (IE a few relevant pages)

Law Society of Canada I believe.. fought for the right to photocopy entire TEXTS. (pissing off the publishers to no end)

I'm not sure if the libraries still have notices bitching about copyright etc in regards to their books.  They did years ago when I was in high school and college though.

jsrlepage

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2004, 06:28:00 PM »

I am a separatist from quebec.

BUT FOR ONCE,

I am proud to be a Canadian.

tareqsattar

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2004, 09:01:00 PM »

biggrin.gif