xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Fyi On "editing Models"  (Read 614 times)

hbrdXΣr0

• Archived User
Fyi On "editing Models"
« on: October 06, 2006, 10:51:00 PM »

I don't know where everyone's getting this idea you can try and edit the mdl files in Milkshape or something. At least, not how you're all trying to go about it..

Every file inside the XZP is identical to the basic structure of all of Half-Life 2's standard GCF files. There are only a few minor things that are different for the Xbox (I think the primary thing is textures are in the Xbox's native format instead of what Valve used for HL2.)
Other than that, mdl files are no different. If you want to edit or replace them, all you need to do is find a standard mdl decompiler that you'd use for HL2 for the PC. MDL files can be exported from XSI with Valve's plugin for it. It's nothing special. SMD files (decompiled MDL files) can be imported by a variety of programs like XSI and 3DSM (with a plugin).

Though it's for the PC version (you won't get support on the Xbox version here, trust me) there's always the Valve Developer Community on how to model and stuff. (Link to modeling resources from them)

Prodigy074

• Archived User
Fyi On "editing Models"
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(hÿbrîdXΣr0 @ Oct 7 2006, 05:58 AM) View Post

I don't know where everyone's getting this idea you can try and edit the mdl files in Milkshape or something. At least, not how you're all trying to go about it..

Every file inside the XZP is identical to the basic structure of all of Half-Life 2's standard GCF files. There are only a few minor things that are different for the Xbox (I think the primary thing is textures are in the Xbox's native format instead of what Valve used for HL2.)
Other than that, mdl files are no different. If you want to edit or replace them, all you need to do is find a standard mdl decompiler that you'd use for HL2 for the PC. MDL files can be exported from XSI with Valve's plugin for it. It's nothing special. SMD files (decompiled MDL files) can be imported by a variety of programs like XSI and 3DSM (with a plugin).

Though it's for the PC version (you won't get support on the Xbox version here, trust me) there's always the Valve Developer Community on how to model and stuff. (Link to modeling resources from them)

Yes it was as i thought, mdl files i guessed would not be different as their valves custom format so no need to change.. the textures though i agree are probably in the format the xbox works with.
And does this mdl decompiler come with the sdk when you buy halflife2 pc off steam? Shame if it does  happy.gif
smds can be opened by milkshape as well which i think was actually made for halflife.

hbrdXΣr0

• Archived User
Fyi On "editing Models"
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(Prodigy074 @ Oct 12 2006, 02:09 PM) View Post

Yes it was as i thought, mdl files i guessed would not be different as their valves custom format so no need to change.. the textures though i agree are probably in the format the xbox works with.
And does this mdl decompiler come with the sdk when you buy halflife2 pc off steam? Shame if it does  happy.gif
smds can be opened by milkshape as well which i think was actually made for halflife.

No, it doesn't come with it. Someone else made it. And I have no idea why you'd open the model in Milkshape when you can use XSI like it was intended..