xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Metal Wolf Chaos Translation  (Read 1560 times)

Cylide

• Archived User
Metal Wolf Chaos Translation
« on: March 30, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »

Ok, so I've been playing Metal Wolf Chaos, a really damn fun game, Problem is most of it is in Japanese. Now its simple enough that I understand the game enough to play it.

But hey, I like a challenge and I'm never happy unless I'm messing with stuff, so I figured I'd try and do a small scale translation on it. Just some menu options and stuff so its a little easier to navigate and understand what the hell is going on sometimes.

The main issue here is I have no friggin clue where to start.

So heres my main questions:
Where are game text files usually stored (file types)
What tools exist to extract these files?
Anything like this exist for other games?
Anything I should know before I start this?

Utter newbie to modding really. But I'm willing to learn and I want to give something back.

Cylide

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »

Welp. I guess I'll just post what I have and hope that someone can help  me based on that

I've identified 3 main file times for the game, TEX, MSG and DDS. Through some research if ound TEX and DDS are mostly textures, images and that kind of thing, leaving MSG the only thing remaining.

Now the issue here is when I try opening MSG with a text reader, I get some japanese stuff, which is a good sign, but its mostly garbled mess. Presumably because word wasnt meant to be doing this kind of thing.
QUOTE("Some Crap")
q      ・  =q          jq          kq          lq          mq      、¬  子      ・¬  ュq          駲      ィ¬  麭      ゥ¬  q      ェ¬  "r      ォ¬  -r      ャ¬  :r          Ir      ョ¬  Jr      ッ-  ar      ー¬  lr      ア¬  qr      イ-  xr          r      ク¬  €r      ケ¬  ・      コ¬  較          殲      チ¬  r      ツ¬  ゥr      テ¬  エr      ト¬  ソr      ナ¬  フr      ニ¬  ラr          穩      フ¬  縒      ヘ¬        ホ-  s      マ¬   s          -s      ヨ¬  .s      ラ¬  As      リ¬  Vs      ル-  es          zs      ・  {s      ・  郭      ・  ゥs          ニs      ・  ヌs      ・  ミs      ・  ルs          舖      ・  蚶      ・  黌      ・  ・      ・            
t          

Just as an example.

Any ideas from here?

Cylide

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »

Update:

Just had another poke. when i look at it in a different format or two it makes a bit more sense, at least in some of the files. I'm gonna test something and post back.

E: That didnt work, heh. I can change text no problem but the game can't load the file afterwards leading to a crash. I get a feeling its an issue with saving the file that does it. Gonna keep trying and see if I can find a solution

This post has been edited by Cylide: Apr 7 2011, 07:10 PM

Cylide

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »

Haha, Ok. Duh. Hex editing works. No support for japanese characters or the encoding they use though. Welp, gonna have to keep looking.

Cylide

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »

muhaha.gif
IPB Image

Master13

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »

nice great work thanks for your contribution to the xbox tongue.gif

Cylide

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 05:19:00 AM »

Thanks man!

I'll update a little more when I have some of it down. So far I have the menus and Items done. Now I need to get the Results page and Weapons sorted and I'll post my work.

Cylide

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »

Ugggh. Hit a road block.

I've got loads of the text done, they aint no thing at this point. BUT, two problems.

Something important is stored in the MRB files. Anyone have any idea what those file formats are and if there's any way to open them?

second, some of the more minor things are in DDS files. Now I can open that shit, but anyone know any way to edit it and then save it as a DDS or convert it to DDS?

Master13

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »

MRB stands for Multiple Resolution Bitmap. It is a bitmap image file which contains many resolutions of an image. It cannot be opened in windows. It is unreadable for the imaging tools. This format is used by Microsoft C/C++ tool. http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/mrb
http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/dds shows some programs that can open it maybe one can save it as one worth a try? I hope i didn't make a fool of myself and hope to see you continue. laugh.gif

Why Am I the only one commenting? this is pretty big stuff guys show some support

Cylide

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(Master13 @ Apr 11 2011, 08:52 AM) View Post

MRB stands for Multiple Resolution Bitmap. It is a bitmap image file which contains many resolutions of an image. It cannot be opened in windows. It is unreadable for the imaging tools. This format is used by Microsoft C/C++ tool. http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/mrb
http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/dds shows some programs that can open it maybe one can save it as one worth a try? I hope i didn't make a fool of myself and hope to see you continue. laugh.gif

Why Am I the only one commenting? this is pretty big stuff guys show some support

Thanks for the info buddy but I've actually worked this part out already! haha. I also worked out TEX files. Hold On I'll post some videos I've been making of the progress in this;
http://www.youtube.c...ot?feature=mhum
Just if you want to keep  up to date. I do and find out so much crap in one day a post I made ends up being completely irrelevant by the time anyone sees it haha. Not to say I don't appreciate the effort and support though buddy.

Currently I've resigned myself to the fact that editing the Mission results page is gonna be nigh on impossible. the TEX files which seem to contain the relevent info basically are uneditable. maybe I'll have luck with the MRBs but I've yet to find something that can actually open them properly. And the ones that can open them say they arn't valid files so, who knows.

Some interesting stuff I found out I've posted in a blog I made for this project http://mwctranslate.blogspot.com/ Some little tidbits like "What the hell, why is there like, 3 files completely dedicated to Otogi items and menus" to "Is this an unused weapon image?"

I think people arnt commenting cause of a combintion of two things - A) These people see hundreds of threads like this that fizzle out into nothing and never see any good come of it and cool.gif MWC is a pretty unknown niche game I guess. I just hope through the blog and vids, even if I burn out people will know enough to finish it themselves. Thats not me saying I will burn out, just making sure I show my work!

I guess a quick status update for now would be good, Stuff I have Translated already:
90% of menus
100% of in mission text (besides some image based popup things that I have someone working on)
100% of pistol description text
100% of shotgun description text
100% of machine gun text
like 5% of the story text
And a couple other things here and there.
To Do:
Finish weapons
Finish what story stuff I aim to do
Finish menus
Not Gonna Do
Subtitles
Results page (unless I have a breakthough, at which point hells yes I'll do this)

Master13

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 03:35:00 AM »

Excellent work on the translation really looking forward to your release
I know that their are threads like this all the time but your actually making progress on something unlike the other idiots who simply request someone else do all the work for them. Even if it is an obscure game people should recognize progress and at least show some support for any breaking xbox 1 developments I guess A600 is getting all the glory(though he does deserve it) jester.gif . Just things can seem pretty dead here with the exception of mainly surreal64
once again thanks for your great work half a translation is better than nothing . I'll continue to follow and try to help as best I can biggrin.gif

Cylide

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »

Update: Think I just worked out how to change the skins. Will report on my blog later.

Update2: I can edit the popup images that show during missions. Woop Woop. On step closer to 100% in game translation.

This post has been edited by Cylide: Apr 13 2011, 08:08 PM

Cylide

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »

I'm just gonna leave this here.

Master13

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »

damn you work fast blink.gif  nice video. out of curiosity what are you translating the text with?

Cylide

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 02:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(Master13 @ Apr 14 2011, 07:02 AM) View Post

damn you work fast blink.gif  nice video. out of curiosity what are you translating the text with?

A hex editor called MadEdit. The only one I could find with japanese charcter suppirt.

If you look through my videos on that channel you can find one or two that show exactly how I work, if you're interested. I also did a tutorial in that blog I linked.
Pages: [1] 2