xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Madmab Edition Synopsis "hot Potato" Thread  (Read 4230 times)

ressurectionx

• Archived User
Madmab Edition Synopsis "hot Potato" Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 03:34:00 AM »

Haha!  Sure surprised me!

Not a big deal.  It's all fixed now.

I like having something to do at down time at work.  If I'm not smoking, or drinking a beer, or doing work, or playing guitar, or working on Xtras I get anxious since I feel I should be doing something (productive, or otherwise....  jester.gif ).

I should probably be a CEO of a major company now, but that probably isn't in my foreseeable future.   cool.gif

crash1235

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »

I don't know... you gotta be careful with crash, he might just turn around and have the whole thing done before you know it.

Haha no I never had the NES hot potato.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 07:20:00 AM »

Ah.... good to hear crash.  No double work.  I was worried there for a minute.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »

Get your updated TG16 synopsis here!  Thanks Gilles.  It included most of my roms before editing.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »

Yep  cool.gif

EDIT:

Hey guys,

I've been working very hard on the Atari 2600 synopsis at work and I plan to give the SNES the same treatment when it's done.  After making the "Blueprint Synopsis" for them, I thought "it's a damn shame that these no-intro datfiles have all this information and I'm not including it.  So.... for every game where the info is available in the dat I have added the year of release and the developer/publisher too.  I'm also going to grab all the body-work info from Wikipedia that I can before relinquishing the hot-potato for it.  I can't get to many sites at work with game info so I'll have to rely on you all to finish what I started when I put it up here.

Later,
~Rx

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 06:04:00 AM »

BTW guys....

The Atari 2600 synopsis is coming along great!  I was hoping to get it done this weekend, wont have it done for at least another 10 days or so.  It's amazing how much you can learn when you use the datfile in conjunction with wikipedia and atariage (yes, I can somehow get to atariage at work when they block 99% of video game specific sites...... must not have had Atari in their videogame language rolodex since it's an ancient language  laugh.gif )

When I originally did the 2600 testing it was so long ago that I wasn't very accurate in where I placed the roms.  If you take a look at the spreadsheet now you will see great changes in the directory structure and the synopsis reflects that new knowledge.  I think, by far, the 2600 was the biggest mess I made for myself and I never thought I'd really get around to cleaning it up and I'd just keep those roms thrown into generic categories.  Well.... I'd say it's about 95% cleaned up now thanks to the synopsis work!  I'm sure I have plenty of testing to do when I get back to it (so much more synopsis work too).  

Anyways.... I'm on the letter K now in filling out the body work on the US roms.  I haven't done much with the other categories except for fill out as much of the headline info as I could glean from the datfiles.  Between the two sites I'd say I'm steadily able to fill out about 70% of the synopsis info.  Hopefully somebody will step in and finish that info off for us when I post it.

Later,
~Rx

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 06:42:00 AM »

I'd say I'm about 80% done with the Atari 2600 now.  It's about 600kb.

I'm also about 60% done with the US/Europe SNES now too!  It's almost 1MB now.  After hacks, translations and all the stuff I missed that one will probably be about 2.5MB to 3MB.

Going through the synopsis stuff on SNES I've found that there definitely are licensed games that we missed first time around (surprisingly, some of them are US games too like Zoop.  I have no clue how I missed them).  I also have zero hacks for it, so we'll have to get vids made for all of that when I get around to the second round of SNES testing.  I didn't want to push any more hacks on Horscht since he seemed like he was just about burned out on making videos at the time.  Now that we have a couple people that can make vids I'm hoping somebody can step up and fill the blanks when I figure out what we need.

I'm also going to have to get the HQ boxart from Sotu and TheCoverProject before a new artwork release on that as well.

Later,
~Rx

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2009, 06:25:00 AM »

I just noticed that classicconsoles has Atari 2600 games.  I'll have to go in there and see if I can get better synopsis from there than stuff I already have.

SNES - I've finished all US games that had info at either classicconsoles or wikipedia.  I'd say it's about 90% or more finished on the US front now.  I'm going to go into the gamefaqs reviews next and see how many more I can knock out starting Wednesday night.  Then it's on to romhacking for the hacks/translations, and seeing how much info I can find about prototypes and other misc stuff.  So far it's about 1.25 MB of synopsis goodness.

Some of the headline info on both of these isn't filled out much, mainly the Genre and the # of players.  I figure the best way for me to do that is when madmab finishes the sort/filter code.  I like doing it that way better since I did that with MAME a about 18 months back.  It's really much easier trying to edit stuff when I can see it sorted on my TV with the game video playing right there than to do it by hand and take wikipedia's word for it.

Hey CRASH!!!!  Do anything with that Gameboy synopsis yet?  Haven't heard from you on that in like 2 months.

Later,
~Rx

crash1235

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 03:49:00 AM »

Hey yea sorry I've really neglected it a bit. Things in the real world got quite intense there for a while and havn't really done much work on it. Good news though is that things have settled down and I will have more time to start working on it again. smile.gif Here is the little amount I have done on it just so you can make sure I'm doing the right thing.

Just saw how much was done on the NES synopsis good to see it's almost finished.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »

SNES and Atari 2600 are almost finished too...

I'm sure what you have is good.  I'll look at it tonight when I get a chance.  Just make sure you fill out as much headline info as you can, include the web address you pull the info from on the very last line, and remove any tabs or other weird characters or the "[1]" crap that shows up when you pull from wikipedia.

I would also recommend that you stop to Consoleclassix.com first for the best synopsis info before you go on to wikipedia or other sites.

Thanks Crash.... good to hear from you again and we all look forward to your contribution to the project.

Later,
~Rx

EDIT:  Just checked it out.  Looks great man  cool.gif

crash1235

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »

Yea thanks I was just a little bit worried about the length of some of them is there any restriction on maximum length?

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »

I'm sure there is a max length now, but I have yet to hit it.  Madmab did some adjusting and I haven't broken it with any of the lengths on mine yet.

gilles9999

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »

Progress of the nes synopsis:

US-EU English roms:

A-E: COMPLETE! ~Rx
F: Purged, Headline fields created by Rx; completed by Gilou9999
G-H: COMPLETE! ~Gilou9999
I-L: Purged, Headline fields created by Rx; completed by Gilou9999
M: COMPLETE! ~Lawdog
N-R: Purged, Headline fields created by Rx; completed by Gilou9999
S: Purged, Headline fields created by Rx
T-U: Purged, Headline fields created by  justgoonies; Complete by Gilou9999
V-Z: Complete ~Mega_Man_(?)

Lightgun and multigames carts: complete by Gilou9999
Translations: Complete ~Rx
Update Hacks: Complete ~Rx
All FDS Games: Complete ~Rx

Only "S" need to be made now, and guess what? i'm working on it right now!! the nes synopsis will be 100% finished this week for the licensed games, and that's a good news for the public release!

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 05:45:00 PM »

Nice work man!

Hopefully I'll have the full 2600 synopsis up here sometime tonight too so you guys can mess around with that new beta that Madmab updated.  I'll have datfiles and the Enhanced Artwork up as well.  No videos yet though..... we still need over 200 to be made.

If things go well, we'll have a full SNES synopsis by the end of July as well.  I will probably end up re-testing the roms in the XPORT emu since we will see the emu updated and you made the dynamic skin too.  I know that XPORT plays about 25 roms that ZSNESXBox doesn't play.  I wonder how many that ZSNESXBox plays that XPORT's doesn't?

These synopsis' could always use improvement of course, but all the games are represented and I tested that they all work with the roms in my datfiles.  I'll wrap up the headline info for the games whenever sort/filter is made available.

Later,
~RX

P.S.....

Hey madmab.  Two questions about the synopsis....

1) Could we remove the CRC header of the game if it is found?  I was hoping to only see the CRC number when we need it (when we're missing it).

2) Could we underline the title to the games?

I was screwing around, putting an underline of 25 characters right below the game title and another right below the last piece of headline info before the asterisk.  The one below the headline info looks great, but the one below the title is too low.  Plus, if it was "attatched" to the game title, then it wouldn't scroll off the screen as soon as you moved the text.

Not sure how doable that second one is.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »

Hey guys.  

I know I didn't claim hot-potato on it, but I figured nobody has done anything with it since February and decided to clean up the LYNX synopsis a bit while I was using the LYNX emu to test out madmab's recent artwork fixes.

Just did some re-arranging of things, cleaning up some text and adding about 5 prototype games that weren't in there.  (Not really adding much, just giving them representation).

It's in by no means "done", but it's a little cleaner and now it works with all my roms.  

Let me know if anybody added anything to this and if work needs to be merged.

Later,
~Rx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7