xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Madmab And Gilles' New Releases Thread  (Read 5253 times)

ressurectionx

• Archived User
Madmab And Gilles' New Releases Thread
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2008, 07:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Dec 7 2008, 04:52 AM) View Post

Well I wasn't exactly thinking graying the text but I whipped up something that should do the trick.  Right now it is coded to cut the brightness in half of the "locked" menu option.  Or I could just pick a nice shade of gray and stick that that.  Or even RED.. muahahaha

Sweet..... out of that whole post the only thing you brought up was the "grayed out" thing.

You like the rest of it then?

I was also thinking that it would be nice to turn off the screenshots and aspect ratio in the basic lockdown mode as well.  I'm always accidentally taking screenshots or fudging the aspect ratio when I play.  Of course it's pretty much all shut down in the Total Lockdown mode.

Cospefogo

• Archived User
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2008, 07:54:00 AM »

In lockdown mode you can't even play games.
It locks the Game Select screen as well.
All you can see are the screenshots.

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

love.gif  love.gif  love.gif

Sorry for the useless post.
Ha ha.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Dec 7 2008, 09:39 AM) View Post

Well if your talking about accidently activating that stuff from within a game.  All of that stuff can be unmapped in the "UI Joypad Mappings" section of the Controller Configuration.

Items include..

Sfx Volume up/down, Bgm Volume up/down, Fast Forward, Save/Load State, Change Save State Slot, Screenshot, Options Menu/Pause Emu, Change Gfx Filter?, Music Control Menu, Start/Stop Recording and Playback, Auto-Screenshot Capture Mode, Virtual Keyboard, Text Browser, Turn On/Off Rewind, Rewind, and Turn On/Off SlowMotion.

Yeah.  I know you can control each one individually.  I've done it.  Again, and again and again.  Everytime I get an emu update I have to re-do it since I'm not sure if I'll break anything by picking and choosing which files I want to bring to the new emu, so I just start from scratch.  

Many of those things mentioned above are regular annoyances while playing the game, and I think this is why the lockdown modes will be a very great implementation.  

I would like Sfx Volume up/down, Bgm Volume up/down, Screenshot, Change Gfx Filter?, Music Control Menu, Start/Stop Recording and Playback, Auto-Screenshot Capture Mode, Text Browser (Assuming this is an automatic "button combo" way of bringing it up we're talking about), Turn On/Off Rewind, Rewind, and Turn On/Off SlowMotion.

So nice to be able to control all of those with a "breaker" like the lockdown modes instead of flipping each switch on and off manually.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »

Don't get how that applies to what I was talking about madmab.  I'm just talking about the ability to lock all that stuff down with the flip of a switch instead of having to reprogram this stuff every time I have a new version of an emulator.

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »

I was always under the impression that the idea of a lock down mode was to prevent users who are unfamilar with what they are doing (like kids) changing things that they shouldn't be accident, or doing things that may be harmful or cripple the emulator.  In particular MENU options.

If you are clearing out all of the configurations everytime you updat to a new version it sounds to me like your doing even more work reconfiguring all those games.  Compared to disabling the UI mappings.  Would a "clear all UI mappings" option make more sense?  With the exception of keypad, keyboard, and "in game menu" of course.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2009, 06:25:00 AM »

I got a bug.  It's on the NES emu, but it's probably on all of them.

I'm making some of my own configurations, mainly changes to the game-select screen, and I have this problem.  Every time I load a different configuration that has movie previews after I've been using one without movie previews, I have to turn the previews back on.  I also have to turn the movie previews back off when I load a skin config that doesn't use them.  

Any way we could have "Show Movie Previews" be one of the things saved in the configuration?  Or am I missing something here?

ALSO:  PSX: when you scroll left through alter movie/screenshot previews the list goes on forever with garbled titles.

This post has been edited by ressurectionx: Jan 27 2009, 02:26 PM

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Jan 27 2009, 08:25 AM) *

I got a bug.  It's on the NES emu, but it's probably on all of them.

I'm making some of my own configurations, mainly changes to the game-select screen, and I have this problem.  Every time I load a different configuration that has movie previews after I've been using one without movie previews, I have to turn the previews back on.  I also have to turn the movie previews back off when I load a skin config that doesn't use them.  

Any way we could have "Show Movie Previews" be one of the things saved in the configuration?  Or am I missing something here?
Not really a bug.  I just don't save that information with the skin.  Kinda figured it was something the user would want to set themselves.  But it does kinda make sense.  Maybe what I'll do is have it store that information when you save/load a configuration.  If it doesn't find that "parameter" in the skin config it will just leave it to whatever the user set last.

ALSO:  PSX: when you scroll left through alter movie/screenshot previews the list goes on forever with garbled titles.
Bugger... I though I fixed that problem a while ago.  I'll take a peek.

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »

Fixed...

As for the other thing, well.  I'll get to it eventually.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Jan 27 2009, 06:25 PM) *

Not really a bug.  I just don't save that information with the skin.  Kinda figured it was something the user would want to set themselves.  But it does kinda make sense.  Maybe what I'll do is have it store that information when you save/load a configuration.  If it doesn't find that "parameter" in the skin config it will just leave it to whatever the user set last.

I don't see any benefit for it not to save this at any point now that this has been pointed out.  Truth is, aside from Gilles and Frank and anyone else taking up the Dynamic Skins, nobody is really going to have a "fresh" start where this wouldn't be selected.  Any of the configurations that I have made were just edits based off of Gilles previously made skins (I would pick the one most similar to my particular desire for that config and having the screenshots/movies on or off with the config would be perfect)

So sure... if there isn't info on it because it's a brand new Dynamic skin, I would probably just set it to default on, until the user set it and saved it.  

Guess it wasn't really a bug, but it would sure save a lot of frustration changing this.  I'm really surprised that Gilles hadn't brought it up with all those configs he's had to do (probably hundreds before we got all the sprite names identical)

EDIT:  I've started a document on my computer.  It has ideas I've come up with, things we've discussed in the past that haven't been done yet, and any bugs I find along the way.  I figure at this point you already have your hands full and if I post them here it will probably get lost along the way. This is on the list, so I won't forget about it.   I can cross off that PSX bug now though.   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

EDIT 2:  This will be on the list too, so no big deal to fix just this second.  When you get a chance though could you do some testing on the PSX emu?  It seems to lock up on me quite frequently when exiting a game.  I tried playing Evil Dead today and it was just a black screen for the title and the action and I know that it worked before (I don't know if it is due to the emu or because my configs are screwed up yet because I gave up in frustration after Evil Dead locked up my box on exit before I could check the settings).

I am using Gilles newest skin for it, if that helps.

Until this is fixed (or until I revert temporarily to an old build) I won't be able to do any PSX testing like this.  What I did yesterday was clean up the games from A-E (in the small collection I've already gathered artwork for and tested) a few weeks back.  Even though I am keeping quite a few games on the Box, I was able to remove 16GB of them now that I got the artwork for them.  I don't want to remove any more games until I can grab screenshots for them.  I don't think I'll ever have a full PSX artwork pack for the Xtras, but it should have all of the artwork for about 500-600 games when I'm done.

This post has been edited by ressurectionx: Jan 28 2009, 05:27 PM

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »

What do you guys think about a "Kid Friendly" mode?

Something that parents could set if they wanted to limit the ability of roms that could be accessed in the emulators....

Wow.... way down the road I know... but wouldn't it be cool to consolidate the configurations by having a base configuration for all emus in one directory and any addendums that are emu-specific for the emu to launch?

This way, if you were to set "Kid Friendly" mode on one emu, it would open all subsequent emus with that mode on until it was turned off (I wouldn't even make it an option easily found or even misname it on purpose to seem like some boring and useless emu function, but it's really the key to open "Uncensored Mode 1 which would show all games that have even adult content that were sold to a mass audience.  "Uncensored Mode 2" could be if you wanted the emu to show the Pr0n games as well.

Of course... this would be dependent on somebody adding a "Rating:" field to the synopsis to work right...

Just a few premature thoughts....

~Rx

FrankMorris

• Archived User
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Jan 28 2009, 07:14 AM) *
I've started a document on my computer.  It has ideas I've come up with, things we've discussed in the past that haven't been done yet, and any bugs I find along the way.  I figure at this point you already have your hands full and if I post them here it will probably get lost along the way. This is on the list, so I won't forget about it.  I can cross off that PSX bug now though.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

I don't know what R have on his list, but these may need some discuss before release? So stop the press! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Please, don't take these too seriously guys. We are messing with the betas, so there must be some bugs.

All tests has made with MednafenX-NES v10.03b (Madmab ed)
These aren't any order.

1. Configure Skin/Select Skin brings up odd popup message:

Change to the directory and press START  (Flashing title)
Press B  (Normal line)

Skin switching itself works fine.

2. In my opinion adjusting volume with right thumb left/right is way too slow. It takes ages to raise volume from min. to max. (Now talking gui volume, but afaik this issue appears in game too.)
This have bothered me since 2004.

3. In help/synopsis/game select screens volume can't be adjusted at all. Is it intended?
Main menu/all 'other' menu/popup screens volume adjusting is working. (Slow)

4. In Skin Configuration Menu can we have period_period_period suffix for these lines:

Save Skin Configuration as
Load Skin Configuration

It should be:

Save Skin Configuration as...
Load Skin Configuration...

Normal menu structures have those dots. It's a rule.

5. Gilles, in your PM3 skins you have separated different aspect ratios 4:3 and 16:9 for tags like SDTV and HDTV. Right?

Why?
We both know that definition and aspect ratio are totally different things.
So why don't you use tags like 4:3 and 16:9 instead of STDV and HDTV?

The fact is, that there are SDTV's in both aspect ratios you know.

FATX do not support :::: characters, so you may need to use tags like 43 and 169 or something like that.

7. Skin Configuration/Skin Editor/Popup Menu Settings we have option called Sprite Settings.
It's useless 'cause popup menu can't have any sprites.

EDIT:
QUOTE(madmab @ Dec 3 2008, 03:07 AM) *
I was just thinking today that we will also need a help screen for the "favorites select screen".  Since the white button "removes game from favorites".

We may also need one for Vice64, which for some reason makes the Y button "save to favorites" and the white button "display game details".  I might just switch those two anyways because it is counter intuitive.

I know you have hands full already, but any decision for that?

EDIT2: And just forget about that keyboard transparency! You have a lot more greater things to do.

This post has been edited by FrankMorris: Feb 11 2009, 11:00 PM

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »

Hey Frank,

I'll give input where I can....

QUOTE(FrankMorris @ Feb 9 2009, 03:19 PM) *

I don't know what R have on his list, but these may need some discuss before release? So stop the press! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Please, don't take these too seriously guys. We are messing with the betas, so there must be some bugs.

All tests has made with MednafenX-NES v10.03b (Madmab ed)
These aren't any order.

2. In my opinion adjusting volume with right thumb left/right is way too slow. It takes ages to raise volume from min. to max. (Now talking gui volume, but afaik this issue appears in game too.)
This have bothered me since 2004.

I agree 100%

3. In help/synopsis/game select screens volume can't be adjusted at all. Is it intended?
Main menu/all 'other' menu/popup screens volume adjusting is working. (Slow)

I didn't notice that.  If it can be fixed, I'd like to see it.  Not a big deal if it's a ton of work to fix though.

4. In Skin Configuration Menu can we have period_period_period suffix for these lines:

Save Skin Configuration as
Load Skin Configuration

It should be:

Save Skin Configuration as...
Load Skin Configuration...

Normal menu structures have those dots. It's a rule.

Haha!  A little picky, but then again so am I.  I agree...

6. These options can be configured by the gui:

- screenshot size, position and transparency.

Afaik these can't be configured by the gui:

- boxart size, position and transparency.
- video size, position and transparency.

Why?

Sure they can.  When you're on the screenshots, press left or right to switch to boxart and videos.  It works perfect for me and has for about the last 5 or so betas.  I do admit that it can be a bit confusing, but after I got it I really liked that way of doing it.

Later,
~Rx

FrankMorris

• Archived User
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Feb 10 2009, 08:24 AM) *
When you're on the screenshots, press left or right to switch to boxart and videos.
Ok. You were hide it too close (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »

Heh.... yep.  It tricked me at first too.  DOn't know why I didn't press right or left with those big right and left arrows pointing the way.

I actually like it now that I know though.  I think that sort of thing could work well in other spots too.

I think you had some great ideas there, although some of them are out of my realm and I can't comment on.  Please keep a list for yourself of fixes/changes you would like to see as they get lost on the boards.  I have my own list, but I'm not always looking at the comp from here so I miss some fixes that were suggested on my Xtras.   madmab's not around for a while, so he might miss this stuff otherwise.

How's the skins coming on your end?

What do you think about the emu?  The menu structure? The additional features so far?

Later,
~Rx

FrankMorris

• Archived User
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(ressurectionx @ Feb 11 2009, 07:58 PM) *
Heh.... yep.  It tricked me at first too.  DOn't know why I didn't press right or left with those big right and left arrows pointing the way.
Yeah. Afterwards thinking, I can't realize how the hell I could miss those arrows. Well, everything is clear now.

Please keep a list for yourself of fixes/changes you would like to see as they get lost on the boards.  I have my own list, but I'm not always looking at the comp from here so I miss some fixes that were suggested on my Xtras. madmab's not around for a while, so he might miss this stuff otherwise.
Good advice. I will keep my list updated. *Deleting no. 6, which you clarified*

How's the skins coming on your end?
Right now, dev has slowed down, because I'm waiting some VGA-mod, that I can connect my Xbox to HDTV. When it arrives, I think it's week or two and all is ready.

What do you think about the emu?  The menu structure? The additional features so far?
100% pure quality.
When I'm not satisfied for something, I will write it on my list. It covers ALL problems that I have found at the moment.

XPort emus will never be the same. I just think about when comes the time to call these Madmab emus, or something like that.
(Do not get me wrong. I do respect XPort very much. He is the guy, who ported these great emulators!!)

Apologies of lack/lag of language. It's getting better every day, so little patience there (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I fully understand all your words, but writing it is little bit harder..

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15