xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Definitive Tutorial For Screen Adjustment  (Read 1170 times)

Cospefogo

• Archived User
Definitive Tutorial For Screen Adjustment
« on: March 01, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »

Gentlemen,

Finally I am able to release my definitive tutorial
for screen adjustment in the Xbox Emulators.

It's pretty complete regarding Xport and Nes6502 emulators,
and maybe you can help to increase a bit the information
for FBA-XXX and Mame.

Link:
http://www.kppshngthbttn.com/?page_id=32

If moderators find this tutorial useful, feel free to pin
somewhere else. I am very happy to be sharing my
information and helping the Scene to always reach the best
standards.

And listen to Miles Davis, brother!
Cospefogo.

Smothermunchie

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »

Too Awesome!

Thank you!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

layzee

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 06:05:00 AM »

Thanks for the tutorial.

Any chance you could list the pixel-perfect settings for the Bandai WonderSwan, MSX, and Neo Geo Pocket emulators?

Oh, and your XBMC-style skins for the emulators were very good also.

Cheers.

Cospefogo

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 07:21:00 AM »

QUOTE(layzee @ Mar 2 2007, 10:36 AM) *

Thanks for the tutorial.

Any chance you could list the pixel-perfect settings for the Bandai WonderSwan, MSX, and Neo Geo Pocket emulators?

Oh, and your XBMC-style skins for the emulators were very good also.

Cheers.

Sorry man,
I don't think so - Since I never played these systems and don't have roms for them either.
But for sure someone will appear with some tips for them sooner or later!

Cheers,
G.

JLsoft

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »

Cospefogo, don't forget about using http://xbox.nugnugnug.com/FlickerFucker/ for patching the .XBEs of things like SCUMMVMX and almost all retail games (think classic game compilations for example (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)) that don't have adjustable Flicker Filter settings (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Cospefogo

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(JLsoft @ Mar 2 2007, 05:10 PM) *

Cospefogo, don't forget about using http://xbox.nugnugnug.com/FlickerFucker/ for patching the .XBEs of things like SCUMMVMX and almost all retail games (think classic game compilations for example (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)) that don't have adjustable Flicker Filter settings (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Wow!
I DID forget!!!!
Thanks for remind me!

I will test on ScummVMX!

Cheers,
C.

Smothermunchie

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 01:56:00 PM »

Two questions.

I'm not quite sure I'm following your suggestion on using Scumm, it's just a little choppy to understand.  Here's your quote

For ScummVMX, press the right analog stick to enter in the configuration mode, and simple adjust the screen to fit your television margins. Unfortunately you don’t have how to remove the blur on this emulator.

Are you saying that there is no such thing as having this work with perfect settings?

Also, you never mentioned DosXbox, which probably is my favorite emulator.

If a game states for best results to play it under a 320x200 format.  According to your rule, would that be 638x398?

Thanks.

Cospefogo

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(Smothermunchie @ Mar 2 2007, 06:27 PM) *

Two questions.

I'm not quite sure I'm following your suggestion on using Scumm, it's just a little choppy to understand.  Here's your quote
Are you saying that there is no such thing as having this work with perfect settings?

Also, you never mentioned DosXbox, which probably is my favorite emulator.

If a game states for best results to play it under a 320x200 format.  According to your rule, would that be 638x398?

Thanks.

Well...
Talking about ScummVMX - I did think better about it and a question came to my mind.
All adventures playable on ScummVMX are on the same resolution?
I think yes, since all of them were developed for the PC monitor, correct?
If so, we can find the correct screen size for Scumm too.

Now, about "my rule" - it can be applied to some Xport emulators only.
I think it's some kind of bug that was corrected on Pcsxbox (the Psx emu), since
we can't apply this rule on it.

So, I believe that you should first try the exact double size, a 320x200 goes to 640x480.
If you notice some distortion (on patterned backgrounds), try to apply the rule.

As soon as I have free time, I will check information about ScummVM to see
what can I dig regarding the screensizes!

Cheers,
C.

Smothermunchie

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 09:58:00 PM »

Thank you Cospefogo.  I really appreciate the effort your putting behind this project of yours.

I honestly never gave screen resolution much consideration until I read your post and blog.

layzee

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 01:50:00 AM »

QUOTE(Cospefogo)

Even after setting all the stuff mentioned above, my emulators kept presenting flickering, and the only real solution was to use hardware filterin in POINT and software filtering in BILINEAR. If you think your screen is bliking too much, do not use the flicker filter, keep it in zero and use BILINEAR INSTEAD. It will solve all your problems.

I'm using a CRT TV with an S-Video cable, and after configuring the proper settings in your tutorial, my screen flickers. It's not bad but it can be annoying.

I think there's a mistake there because there's no "Bilinear" option in software filtering in any of the emulators. It shares the same spot as "Point" in the hardware filtering option.

My screen still flickers changing from "Point" to "Bilinear" hardware filtering. The only way I can solve this is with "Flicker Filter" set at 1 (or more, but 1 is good).

Any suggestions?

Cospefogo

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 05:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(layzee @ Mar 3 2007, 06:21 AM) *

I'm using a CRT TV with an S-Video cable, and after configuring the proper settings in your tutorial, my screen flickers. It's not bad but it can be annoying.

I think there's a mistake there because there's no "Bilinear" option in software filtering in any of the emulators. It shares the same spot as "Point" in the hardware filtering option.

My screen still flickers changing from "Point" to "Bilinear" hardware filtering. The only way I can solve this is with "Flicker Filter" set at 1 (or more, but 1 is good).

Any suggestions?

Hi Layzee!
Nice to meet you! And OOOPS!
You are right! I made a mistake on the text! Let me correct it right now.

Updating the tip text:

"When I did buy the Xbox, I used for a long time the simple AV standard cable bundled in the package. Even after setting all the stuff mentioned above, my emulators kept presenting flickering, and the only real solution was to use hardware filtering in BILINEAR instead of POINT and software filtering in NONE or SIMPLE 2X. If you think your screen is still blinking too much, try to not need to use the flicker filter, keep it in always in zero and use TRILINEAR instead, maybe even ANISOTROPIC. Maybe It will solve all your problems. The blur you will get on the Flicker Filter solution - at least for my eyes - will be much more stronger than the different hardware modes.

Each TV is different case, and - for the really best results you should try a connection through Video Component inputs. Other tip is to search on your television menu if there is some kind of option like SHARPNESS. You can try to lower the ammount of sharp graphics a bit. As I said before - I just describe here what happened to me (and to few friends, I really see it with my own eyes) and I do my best to show you the steps of the process - but I am pretty sure that will not work 100% all the time to every single CRT television in the world!"

That's it!
Regards,
Cospefogo.

Smothermunchie

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »

Here's another question.

How do I find what the screen resolution is in a game that's not running in full screen mode under DOSBOX?

If I know how to find that, I probably can double that number so I can play it through DOSXBOX.

I read through the readme documents, but I couldn't find the answer.

Thanks.

Cospefogo

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(Smothermunchie @ Mar 3 2007, 03:00 PM) *

Here's another question.

How do I find what the screen resolution is in a game that's not running in full screen mode under DOSBOX?

If I know how to find that, I probably can double that number so I can play it through DOSXBOX.

I read through the readme documents, but I couldn't find the answer.

Thanks.

Hi Smoth,

I really can't answer your question, since never touched the DosXbox stuff.
I think you need first to find out the original resolution of the game, the resolution
it was inteded to run at the time when it was created/released.

This way you can start your screen experimentations.
Let's hope that maybe some DosXbox user visit the topic and more solid info.

Sorry for not helping!
Cospefogo.

BonusJz

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »

Make a screen shot of a game you wish to set resolution and later check out its resolution in (for example i XBMC).That way you can see native resolution of that game .

Timerever

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »

I've checked your page and the FBA-XXX settings are nonsense, here's the correct thing:

Here's somethings to consider first:
- These settings only work with older FBA releases like FBA-XXX Pro 1.26 and the equivalent regular FBA version, the new version no longer have the 720x480 resolution.
- All systems use Simple2X filter
- Use the Gamma correction feature with it's default values, it's really nice.
- FBA-XXX saves 2 different resolution settings, for rotated and upright games regardles of the system
- And more important, these settings assume that you play the vertical games with your TV rotated, if you don't you are a loser (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
- Since FBA-XXX doesn't save per-game settings (and I'm too lazy to add them too) you have to change these whenever you wanna play a different system or game.

CPS 1/2
Emulator resolution: 720x480
Screen size: 640x452
Hardware filter: Linear (there's no way to make CPS fit on screen without filtering)

NeoGeo
Emulator resolution: 480i (640x480, 10x11 pixel ratio must NOT be used)
Screen size: 608x452 (NeoGeo resolution is 304x224, yes I know it's wierd)
Hardware filter: Point

Others (Notice that these settings only cover Cave/Toaplan hardware, and don't work for all the 'Others' systems emulated)
Emulator resolution: 720x480
Screen size: 640x484
Hardware filter: Point

Also, don't tell people to use hardware filters instead of flicker filter to solve flickering, just because it works on your TV doesn't mean it works on all TVs, the fliker filter is a special hardware trick designed to reduce flicker so do use it even if it blurs the image more since it will work for sure.
I think that's all, if I remember something I'll tell you.

This post has been edited by Timerever: Mar 4 2007, 07:41 PM
Pages: [1] 2 3