xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Snes9xbox Super Nintendo Emulator For Xbox V6  (Read 1233 times)

neil222

• Archived User
Snes9xbox Super Nintendo Emulator For Xbox V6
« on: February 04, 2012, 01:37:00 AM »

Another great release..! Cheers.  smile.gif

Traz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »

Cheers for the update. However, I recently came across a weird lockup. I had been playing Der Langrisser for over a week now, clocking up about 10 hours of game-play (some folk said the English translation didn't work for Snes9, but it works without a hitch for me--except for the HQ2X filter). After all this time, suddenly I could not load up the game; as I scrolled through my list of Roms and selected Der Langrisser, the Xbox would freeze. I tried numerous things from deleting all my save files (after backing them up) and replacing the emulator's .xbe files and the .ini file near where the save files are kept and numerous other things; all to no avail.

I was finally able to make the game work again and restore my saves after deleting all my Screenshots (for Der Langrisser). I had clocked up 1,042 of them, so I'm guessing the glitch-lockup occurs when you pass 999 screenshots? One might inquire as to why I take so many, but it's just something I like to do with RPGs. It might take ten attempts to capture that perfect screenshot of a magic ability going off or whatever; and over the course of a lengthy RPG it's not uncommon for me to end up with 2,500 screenshots for a game. After deleting the bulk of the duplicates, the end result would probably be 250~ ace shots; uploading that collection for fans to look through in a gallery or for download appeals to some folk.

In any case, I am 95% sure that it was deleting all those screenshots that fixed this weird problem, since I did most of my tinkerings one step at a time. It's not a big deal to have to move them all onto my computer whenever the number exceeds 999, however. I was bloody worried that my saves had been corrupted somehow though, which is what the creators of the translation patch said can occur on other emulators within half an hour of playing; but I had my doubts since I had not come across a single problem during my current ten hours. wink.gif

Anyhow, thought I would let you know in case any other crazy-screenshot-junkie comes across this problem.

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »

Yeah you got me on that one.  In order to reduce the amount of delay that occured while switching between action and title shots, box art and cart art, as well as playing the preview movies.  So in order to alleviate the delay cause by reading in the screenshot directory as well as re-reading the current directory.

So I set the limit to 1000 figuring no one in their right mind would do more than that.  laugh.gif

Funny I was just thinking the other day about this little adjustment I made.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I changed enough around since then that setting it back to the normal 4096 file limit should not cause any slowdown.

Traz

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 02:13:00 AM »

Ah, I see. I believe I hit the limits in NeoGenesis at some point in the past, where attempting to take another screenshot simply isn't possible; it will try to take the shot, but you get no notification and nothing happens. No lockups, though. To be fair the game was Shining Force CD, which really contains two full games and some extras! >_>

Another thing I had been curious about, is whether the HQ2X filter will ever work properly? I only ask because if it works flawlessly in Zsnesbox (or whatever) why can't it be so with this one as well? Also not a big deal though since SuperEagle2X (or whatver >_@) looks 95% as good. Just wondering.

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 01:16:00 AM »

I'll have to look into the HQ2X filter and see what is going on.

As for the other "issue" what I'll probably end up doing is keeping it at the 1000 limit but just modify the code so it wont lock up.  So you will still be able to take as many screenshots to you're hearts content.  But I figure anyone insane enough to want to view over 1000 in the game select screen has some serious issues.  laugh.gif

Traz

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 03:22:00 AM »

Yeah I always transfer them all to my computer once I finish a game. This emulator is just too good all-round to use anything else. As for the HQ2X filter, I just thought it was a common problem since you mentioned it in one of your posts before so I didn't elaborate. I've only tested it with Der Langrisser and Dragon Quest III, but it slows the music down to an annoying/scratchy level. Every other filter works perfectly though. I didn't try tweaking anything else since it did the same thing in whatever older version I had. Just a bit of a tease that it works without a hitch in Zsnesbox >_>