xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Snes9xbox V3 Possibly Up And Coming  (Read 4051 times)

NobodyHere

• Archived User
Snes9xbox V3 Possibly Up And Coming
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »

I apparently won't be beta testing. Not that I mind really, but I don't want to seem like I'm not good for my word.

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(NobodyHere @ Jun 22 2011, 09:44 AM) *

I apparently won't be beta testing. Not that I mind really, but I don't want to seem like I'm not good for my word.
Huh?  Did I miss something?

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »

and where the heck is ali in all of this. haha., where are you man? i actually got a question for him myself!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/love.gif)

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2011, 03:15:00 AM »

ok after mucho head banging.  I think we can say that the new apu sound core and running some games in 720p is the source of speed loss of non-chip based games.  Apparently some games running slow in mode 7 run alot better when at 480i/p.  This is caused by the sound engine.  I confirmed this by getting the new apu sound engine to run under snes9xbox 1.51 and the same speed issues occured.  Snesxbox running under 1.51 with the old sound engine runs comparable to Snes9xbox v2.

Super FX and chip games however are a different story.  Between the new sound core and a lack of an ASM core we get the speed loss even at 480i/p.  However I have not had a chance to confirm C4 games running at 480p (Megaman).. but I think they are ok (someone feel like checking)?

So what does this mean?  It means that pretty much the new sound core is the culprit.  At one point I ruled out the sound engine because we were not getting buffer underruns on the sound engine and the sound synch code was not kicking in so I was at the time beginning to think it was something else.  But apparently this is not the case.

So one of the things I'm gonna do is add an option to select the video mode that each game runs in.  This will allow you to set slower running games to 480p to make up for the speed loss.  We had discussed this in the past with pcsxbox and dosxbox because those emu's have a similar situation where some games run perfectly fine at 720p.  So I guess now is the time to do it now that I'm storing all the game screensizes for each game anyways.

Another option is to modify Snes9xbox so that you can launch 1.51 with the old sound core.  Sure there will be definite speed improvements.  So if 720p and speed with old sound is more important to you then this would be the core to use.  Or if you are not satisfied running Super FX games with "Set Auto Max Skip Frames To 1" to yes then this would also be the way to go.

However there is a big catch 22.  The savestates are incompatible between 1.51 and 1.53.  So we would have to come up with some way to deal with that to minimize user confusion.  One way would be to have the savestates named differently between versions so that a savestate saved in one core will not show up in the other.  Although I can see people getting confused wondering where their savestates are.  The other option would be to do version checking on the loading of a savestate and if you are using say 1.51 and trying to load a 1.53 it would say "This savestate was saved under Snes9xbox 1.53 core".  This may be a little less confusing and more of an annoyance on the users part.

Of course then there is the lazy option and just include two seperate cores and let the user use which ever one floats their boat... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Unless dante_ali manages to work some magic with the apu sound core.

I could probably tinker around with the sound output rate and sound filter of the new apu core.  However all the times I tried tinkering with those it didnt seem to make any diference.

QUOTE(NobodyHere @ Jun 22 2011, 09:44 AM) *

Is there a reason?  I really could use someone to test some IPS patching.  No one has stepped up yet to do it.  I got to thinking I might be best off adding it as an option in either the game config screen or the in-game menu as opposed to having it autoload an IPS if a matching filename is found in the zip.

This would help accomodate games that may have multiple different patch files for them.

Retroplay

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2011, 05:26:00 AM »

Speaking of sound core.

Sound in Snes9x 1.51 and 1.52 is not that bad if "envelope height reading" is enabled.
Games such as Axelay, Batman Returns, Castlevania, Contra etc. actually sounds just fine if that's enabled.

The Wii port is based on 1.52 and it sounds just fine to me.

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2011, 05:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(Retroplay @ Jun 24 2011, 07:26 AM) *

Speaking of sound core.

Sound in Snes9x 1.51 and 1.52 is not that bad if "envelope height reading" is enabled.
Games such as Axelay, Batman Returns, Castlevania, Contra etc. actually sounds just fine if that's enabled.

The Wii port is based on 1.52 and it sounds just fine to me.
Well I could enable access to that option for 1.51.. However that option was removed in 1.52 when they changed sound cores.  Wii version sounds good cause it is using the new sound core.  Plus the latest wii version is actually running off of 1.53 minus the apu timing core changes.

Anyways thanks for mentioning that option.  I'll enable it and pass it onto the testers.  If it improves the sound good enough then maybe I could get away with doing two seperate versions and then the user can run whichever one appeases to them.  The snes9xbox build I have running at 1.51 aint half bad outside of not having the new apu sound core, and some support for a few more DSP chips and other odds and ends.

But I could keep all the bells and whistles in 1.53 and then 1.51 would have the basic stuff like lightgun support, mouse, IPS patching and all the normal core related junk.

This post has been edited by madmab: Jun 24 2011, 02:43 PM

Retroplay

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »

That's right, "envelope height reading " is only available in 1.51 and some older cores.

So why not just stick to 1.51 with that enabled instead, speed issues should not be a problem then and I don't seem to remember having any problematic games using that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Consoleman!

• Archived User
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »

A few thoughts...

A single build with alternate sound core options is probably the way to go since that would eliminate any delay when switching between builds.  The question is, which resolution do most people play at?  For example, if 480i/p, then 1.53 should be run as the default.

If enabling "envelope height reading for Snes9x 1.51" can be done without interfering with 1.53, that could really help for people running 1.51.  The question is whether or not this should be enabled by default along with the 1.51 core.  I also think it would help if core specific options included the name of the core they're to be used with.

Perhaps you can make "This savestate was saved under Snes9xbox 1.53 core" an option that can be disabled for those who find it annoying.  Disabling that feature shouldn't be a problem when using a separate naming scheme for 1.53 saves.  1.51 saves using the old scheme might make sense for backwards compatibility with older builds.

And last...

Congrats on pinpointing the speed problem, madmab.  Very impressive. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by Consoleman!: Jun 24 2011, 03:11 PM

Consoleman!

• Archived User
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »

My only issue with separate 1.51 and 1.53 builds is if FX games are slowing down with 1.53.  Without the ability to switch back to 1.51, those games won't be as playable.

QUOTE(Consoleman! @ Jun 4 2010, 09:14 PM) *
It's been reported that "Volume Envelope Height Reading" desyncs and/or locks up some games including the Bomberman series.  Supposedly, the -soundsync option in Snes9x solves the problems caused by enabling "Volume Envelope Height Reading," but at the expense of emulation speed.

This may be why it's disabled by default in Snes9x.
I posted this about a year ago about Volume Height Reading.  In addition to the above problems, having it on may also mess up sounds for games that don't need it.

Retroplay

• Archived User
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »

Instead of permanently enabling it it could be added as a per game feature where emu asks if you want to enable it and then save it to a config file for that game only.

Just like NeoGenesis for example where you also have an option to overclock 68000 which breaks some games and benefit others.

NobodyHere

• Archived User
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2011, 07:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Jun 24 2011, 10:15 AM) *

Is there a reason?  I really could use someone to test some IPS patching.  No one has stepped up yet to do it.  I got to thinking I might be best off adding it as an option in either the game config screen or the in-game menu as opposed to having it autoload an IPS if a matching filename is found in the zip.

This would help accomodate games that may have multiple different patch files for them.

This...

You are not authorised to read this forum.

bigby

• Archived User
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »

Huh? Who said that ? ...hmm ... nobody here  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif)

Seriously though, we just need the EmuXtras admin to allow you access. Should be soon...

This post has been edited by bigby: Jun 25 2011, 03:14 AM

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  In case anyone was wondering the reason I'm doing the beta over at our digs is so that I can make the new compiles available more quickly on the forum itself without having to fool with things like megaupload and other upload sites.  The idea being, hopefully, a quicker turn around.

Anywho I'll be working on getting some of those things in.. see how well they pan out.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]