xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Snes9xbox V3 Possibly Up And Coming  (Read 4055 times)

madmab

• Archived User
Snes9xbox V3 Possibly Up And Coming
« on: April 18, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »

Ok I've updated to the 1.53 core.. here is the current changes (outside of the fixes that come with the core change)..

*** important note *** - Old savestates do not work anymore.. Sorry guys..

* Running NTSC ROM's on a PAL xbox on a PAL tv should work properly now.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
* Perfect Pixel code now active.  For real!  Promise!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
* New game config option to "Show ROM Info On Game Start - Yes/No".
* "Show FPS" now works.

So if you have something you want activated now is the time to say it.  No guarantees but I will give it a shot if I can.

I do plan on trying to add IPS support and a couple other "unnamed" features that I don't wanna go into just yet.

Master13

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »

cool nice work madmab can't wait (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Apr 18 2011, 07:32 PM) *

Ok I've updated to the 1.53 core.. here is the current changes (outside of the fixes that come with the core change)..

*** important note *** - Old savestates do not work anymore.. Sorry guys..

* Running NTSC ROM's on a PAL xbox on a PAL tv should work properly now.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
* Perfect Pixel code now active.  For real!  Promise!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)
* New game config option to "Show ROM Info On Game Start - Yes/No".
* "Show FPS" now works.

So if you have something you want activated now is the time to say it.  No guarantees but I will give it a shot if I can.

I do plan on trying to add IPS support and a couple other "unnamed" features that I don't wanna go into just yet.

hey madmab, in terms of comparability and the like, is it a noticeable upgrade as far as something like sound is concerned?

also is therea way to implement blaargs ntsc snes filter into this?  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)

great work and would love to hear from ya!

XT-

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 01:12:00 AM »

Drat I was hoping the dreaded "N" word (NTSC filter) wouldn't come up.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

As far as sound goes, yes it is better for the most part.  For example the power up sounds in Super mario world.  It seems some games get a little static here and there, but it is possible that is a performance issue.  I'll have to tinker with the sound settings a little and see what I come up with.

The reason being they switched from asm code for the cpu and a couple of the processors to just regular 'old C code.  So it's possible performance in some areas may be slower.  But my guess would be performance wise it's comparable to the Wii version.

As for the filter I think I will be able to enable some of them rather easily.  (Don't get your hopes up just yet).  However do not be surprised if there is a big performance hit with them activated.

Two of the biggest things for sure.. are better sound, and better savestate support for some of the exotic cart processors (like DSP, C4, etc).  As well as numerous fixes that had unspecified results.  I'll include the huge honkin changelist for anyone who feels like reading it.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Koitsu

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 04:58:00 AM »

it's like being a kid and having your dad ask you if you want anything from the candy store...and you can't think of anything before he walks off...

brandonheat8

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »

QUOTE(Koitsu @ Apr 19 2011, 11:58 AM) *

it's like being a kid and having your dad ask you if you want anything from the candy store...and you can't think of anything before he walks off...

Yup I know that feeling (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) so I better say this now, can you implement the rewind feature from Zsnexbox? I apologize in advance if this feature is already in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) other than that just give it the old Madmab touch, you'll know what to do.

Consoleman!

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »

This is great news.  Thanks madmab!

It looks like the Snes9x team fixed the Mode 7 problems in Secret of Mana, so the solution I had posted for that shouldn't be needed now.

However, I still get a gold bar across the very bottom of the game screen whenever I select any of the software filters in v2.  Anyone else notice this?

iamturok

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(Consoleman! @ Apr 19 2011, 11:19 AM) *

I still get a gold bar across the very bottom of the game screen whenever I select any of the software filters in v2.  Anyone else notice this?

I get this too, albeit a blue bar.

I have a request, I noticed that in v2, when you change the keymaps, they change for every game. Would it be possible to make these a per game change?

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »

hey madmab thanks for the answers. after reading the official release looks like it was updated and the ntsc filter was added into it. cant wait to hear the sound, hopefully no more crackling on games like mortal kombat 2, and super mario worlds mushroom sound doesnt like crap anymore i hope, it always made me chuckle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

please do let us know. and also if i could be of help, pm me. i might be able to look at some stuff and maybe help get the filter in place. let me know.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 01:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(iamturok @ Apr 19 2011, 05:18 PM) *

I get this too, albeit a blue bar.

I have a request, I noticed that in v2, when you change the keymaps, they change for every game. Would it be possible to make these a per game change?
Just like any other x-port emu.. if you change settings in one game, exit, and then load another game that has no configuration settings.  It will adapt those controller settings you previously set.  One way you can avoid this is to set the "Default Game Configuration" and then go into the "General Settings" and set "Automatically Use Default Game Configuration?" to Yes.

QUOTE(XTecuterX73 @ Apr 19 2011, 07:52 PM) *

hey madmab thanks for the answers. after reading the official release looks like it was updated and the ntsc filter was added into it. cant wait to hear the sound, hopefully no more crackling on games like mortal kombat 2, and super mario worlds mushroom sound doesnt like crap anymore i hope, it always made me chuckle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

please do let us know. and also if i could be of help, pm me. i might be able to look at some stuff and maybe help get the filter in place. let me know.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Have not tried MK2 yet but Super Mario World sounds much better now.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)  I got most of the filter stuff setup the other night.. but it was not quite right and I just ran out of steam.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)  So I may have to save that one for when I have a bit more time to do it.  Since fooling with filters can be tricky.

Retroplay

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 04:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Apr 19 2011, 01:32 AM) *
Ok I've updated to the 1.53 core..

YESSS!!, for the first time we have correct sound emulation in Konami games such as Axelay, Super Castlevania IV, Contra III etc.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

No other SNES emu on XBOX can brag about that.

zorglub

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 06:48:00 AM »

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif) Lightgun/mouse support feasible ?

Xtra sound engine is very good news indeed, thanks alot!

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »

sounds good man cant wait to check it out. as stated before hit me up and i might be able to help you getting the filter implemented. im also looking at implementing something like this for turbografx games and possibly others.

any timeline on a release as well madmab>? no rush of course, but cant wait and ill help you any way i can. im back in the full swing of things so im good to do whatever man.

XT-

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2011, 01:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(Retroplay @ Apr 20 2011, 06:31 AM) *

YESSS!!, for the first time we have correct sound emulation in Konami games such as Axelay, Super Castlevania IV, Contra III etc.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

No other SNES emu on XBOX can brag about that.
Well just for kicks I loaded these games up and they sounded ok and all.. But then I don't know adam from eve when it comes to sound.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)  However I can confirm that Super Mario sounds much better!  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It has, however, been reported to me by my crack team.  Yes they are cracked!.. That sound is much better and I was also told that alot of games in the compatibility spreadsheet listed as "not working" work now.  The biggest problem now is FX games (and maybe other custom chip games?) do not quite perform as well as snes9xbox v2.  This could be due to all the processor cores being switched from ASM to C.  I'm hoping I can figure something out over at the snes9x dev forums.  Maybe I'll even be lucky enough to get some help from the team itself.  Although most emu devs seem to run scared when the word Xbox is mentioned.

QUOTE(zorglub @ Apr 20 2011, 08:48 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/jester.gif) Lightgun/mouse support feasible ?
Xtra sound engine is very good news indeed, thanks alot!
Yeah I can give it a go.  Not sure how long it may take.  Depends on how easy the core makes it.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

QUOTE(XTecuterX73 @ Apr 20 2011, 01:46 PM) *

any timeline on a release as well madmab>? no rush of course, but cant wait and ill help you any way i can. im back in the full swing of things so im good to do whatever man.

XT-
No timeline at the moment.  Hopefully it wont be too long.  Depends on how many stumbling blocks I run into.  For the most part things have been going fairly smoothly.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I got the Blarggg NTSC filters going.  However as I suspected they do cause a performance hit and I've only come across one game that even plays full speed with them enabled... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

XTecuterX73

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »

hey madmab thanks again for the replies man. will you still leave the filter in so we can check it out? maybe theres a way to get everything running smoothly with it. awesome work man! cant wait to check it out. looking forward to any updates from you friend.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pop.gif)

XT-
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5