xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is There A Way To Connect...  (Read 212 times)

parkerbender

• Archived User
Is There A Way To Connect...
« on: December 15, 2007, 06:43:00 PM »

two xboxes to play the same music at the same time for a party?  i have a house party tonight, and i think it would be rediculously cool for the basement and upstairs to be synchronized...   any ideas or an existing script?

Stefan Leroux

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 12:53:00 AM »

Well, I don't know much about scripting for XBMC, bu tI've managed to use its broadcast function with relative success.  You could maybe try making a small script that gets one XBox as host to broadcast the filename it starts playing and the other XBox to start playing the same filename when it recieves the broadcast.  It wouldnt really syncronise perfectly and youd have about a seond delay between the two, but you could counteract that in the script if it bothered you.

Alternatively, just have all the music added to a playlist, launch at the same time on both and lock XBMC so it cant be changed.  Not as fun a solution, and means no random songs, but it would work.

parkerbender

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:57:00 AM »

i did the second one, and as strange as it is, they would go out of sync, even though they're the exact same playlist, and the same version of xbmc, pulling the same songs from the same networked server.  the upstairs machine would lose about three seconds a song, cumulatively.  just thought that was interesting (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Stefan Leroux

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »

It could have just been down to network lag, or differing versions of XBox... who knows, I suppose anything could be possible.

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »

Get a splitter and run audio/video to both places from the same Xbox  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy.gif)

jmarshall

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »

Two things:

1.  The reason they're going out of sync is probably because you have crossfading on one xbox and not the other (or different crossfading times).

2.  Please make your post subjects complete.  There's nothing worse than a subject that ends in "..." when you could have easily completed it.  It means people have to click it to find out whether they can contribute useful information or not.

Cheers,
Jonathan