xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Best Naming Convention For Tv Dvd's  (Read 188 times)

Mcoto

• Archived User
Best Naming Convention For Tv Dvd's
« on: December 13, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »

Hi,

I have several TV series that I got on DVD and I'm trying to figure out how best to name them.  I currently burn the discs to .iso format and run them from a network share.  Since each disk has several episodes on them its hard to get the right description for each episode.  Using the IMDB for TV series often leads to poor lookups which is especially painful to correct for seasons with multiple disks.  Heroes, for instance is an 8 DVD set.  It can also be difficult to figure out which disk goes with which title since they all get titled/mistitled the same.

I was thinking of using the season and episode convention for just the first of each disk that way I'd know which episodes were on each disk.

ex
heroes season 01 episode 01.iso ---for disk one
heroes season 01 episode 05.iso--- for disk two.  This way I'd know disk one containes episode 1-4.

Is there a better way?

Thanks

Paul

Dee$

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 12:44:00 PM »

The standard that I've seen is:

Heroes SE01 E01-05.iso or something similar to that. I doubt if any thing will ever reach SE1xxx (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Stefan Leroux

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »

I've started using "{Series} {Season}x{Episode} - {Episode}"
So you'd end up with Heroes 1x01-05.  Maybe just my preference, but I'm not a fan of the S01E01 style.

QUOTE(Dee$ @ Dec 13 2007, 07:44 PM) *

Heroes SE01 E01-05.iso or something similar to that. I doubt if any thing will ever reach SE1xxx (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Depends on the TV show type really.  I've known a lot of cartoons and things which get quite high up there, but yeah, if it reaches then I might get slightly stuck for the naming convention.

Mcoto

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  Does the TV scraper pick up the icons and such?

How does the scraper define the episode info/description when you give a range of episodes?  Ex does it give a list of episodes in the library view or does it just define one episode (its not a big deal, just curious  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )

Also,  Which TV scraper works best in your experience?

M

Stefan Leroux

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 03:44:00 PM »

The TV scrapers can be an awkward ground at times.  They're great, but there can be a couple of quibbles with it, but they're the reason I started naming the way I did (I used to just have the episode number and name, without the season eg 01 - Pilot.avi and kept in folders for info like Videos/Heroes/Season 1 but changed that recently)

The scrapers can download the images for thumbnails, but it depends on what the scraped site actually has.  In my personal opinion the best is the TVDB scraper because it gets more season banner choice, but it doesnt always get episode images because they're not all there, but you can upload your own if need be.  The TV.com scraper may be better as it gets more information, but its preference as always.

About the defined info, I think the scraper just finds the first data so 1x01-05 would only retrieve the data for 1x01, but I dont know how this would work for you with the iso images as I mainly use seperate .avi files.

Mcoto

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »

Thanks.  I'll try both the databases and see what happens.

M