xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Some Questions On The Ftp Server And The "samba" Server  (Read 95 times)

2 Bunny

• Archived User
Some Questions On The Ftp Server And The "samba" Server
« on: October 03, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »

I've basically once again got a few small dilemmas here... Number 1: How can I use anonymous FTP? Is this possible? Would I just edit the filezilla xml file so that one of the options has no username or password?

Number 2: How can I circumvent the ftp server user limit? Whenever I open it up in FTP, close it, and if I decide to open it again, it thinks I didn't disconnect the last time, so it does not let me. BUMMER!

And number 3: I see that option for setting up a "samba share server". By "samba", is that referring to like the Windows network, like workgroups and networks and stuff? If so, how could I get the xBox to show up in there?

Thanks so much for all your help everyone here at the xBox Scene "Skinnex" Commuinty Forums! pop.gif

- 2 Bunny

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 04:51:00 AM »

XBMC's FTP services can be configured via "System\Filezilla Server.xml". Uncertain whether you can enable anon access.

Even if you up the user limit, after extended use the server will still overload. It may be a flaw in your FTP client, you could try a different one.

Yes, Samba (or SMB) is referring to the type of shares offered via the Windows File and Printer Sharing service. XBMC can access such shares, but it can't offer one of it's own.

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Oct 4 2009, 06:51 AM) View Post
XBMC's FTP services can be configured via "System\Filezilla Server.xml". Uncertain whether you can enable anon access....

All right.

Even if you up the user limit, after extended use the server will still overload. It may be a flaw in your FTP client, you could try a different one....

Where exactly in the file zilla xml would I look for this? I did quite a bit of poking around, I don't know if I put a 1 or 0 in the field as a "yes or no", or if I put a numerical value in. I mean, all I would need is a three or four limit. I use the Windows FTP client because the Flash FTP was, in your words "flawed".

Yes, Samba (or SMB) is referring to the type of shares offered via the Windows File and Printer Sharing service. XBMC can access such shares, but it can't offer one of it's own.

So why is the option there then? laugh.gif

- 2 Bunny

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »

Windows FTP client is poor at best. Use Filezilla, or Flash FXP.

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Oct 4 2009, 02:45 PM) View Post
Windows FTP client is poor at best. Use Filezilla, or Flash FXP.

No, flashFTP SUCKS. Why? It does not connect to the system, and it is only a stupid trial! Why would I pay money for something that doesn't work, when I can get something much BETTER for free?

- 2 Bunny

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »

It's called FlashFXP.... and it works perfectly, so long as you configure it properly.

Not that it matters. If you don't like FlashFXP, use Filezilla.

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(Heimdall @ Oct 4 2009, 03:18 PM) View Post
It's called FlashFXP.... and it works perfectly, so long as you configure it properly.

Not that it matters. If you don't like FlashFXP, use Filezilla.

Filezilla looks a lot better, but I've already got shortcuts to it in my explorer and that kind of stuff. I don't like to have an extra app just to have a bit more convenience on the same thing.

Did anyone have any additional answers for the questions I asked?

- 2 Bunny

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »

Regarding how to alter the XML in concern, check XBMC's user manual.

Windows Explorer is just going to keep maxing out the user limits on the console no matter how high you crank them. Send 'em too high and the console will just start crashing instead. If you don't want to experiment with different clients then you'll just have to live with it.

Personally I use WS_FTP. Primitive, but very lax in terms of resource use.

I'm somewhat confused by your Samba issue. You say you've found an option to set up a share on the console - something I've never heard of - yet you're wondering if it can be used? You'll have to provide a bit more information about what you're talking about, methinks.

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Oct 4 2009, 10:03 PM) View Post

Windows Explorer is just going to keep maxing out the user limits on the console no matter how high you crank them. Send 'em too high and the console will just start crashing instead. If you don't want to experiment with different clients then you'll just have to live with it.

Personally I use WS_FTP. Primitive, but very lax in terms of resource use.

I'm somewhat confused by your Samba issue. You say you've found an option to set up a share on the console - something I've never heard of - yet you're wondering if it can be used? You'll have to provide a bit more information about what you're talking about, methinks.

This is a bit tricky, so let me respond "bit by bit":

Already tried this - it is very "fuzzy" and non helpful "Methinks".

This only happens if I open a new window, which only happens once or twice, so an increased quantity of even four would work, "methinks".

Allrighty! "Methinks" was right! It is merely the client. I was mistaking that for a server because there was a field for "username", which is still completely pointless, but oh well.

- 2 Bunny

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(2 Bunny @ Oct 7 2009, 04:40 AM) View Post
Already tried this - it is very "fuzzy" and non helpful "Methinks".

This only happens if I open a new window, which only happens once or twice, so an increased quantity of even four would work, "methinks".

Methinks you should try reading the XML file again. One line is clearly labeled as dealing with the "Maximum user count", and also states it wants you to put a number in there (hint: try "4").

QUOTE(2 Bunny @ Oct 7 2009, 04:40 AM) View Post
Allrighty! "Methinks" was right! It is merely the client. I was mistaking that for a server because there was a field for "username", which is still completely pointless, but oh well.

Without it, you'd only be able to log on to SMB servers that provide guest access...

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Oct 6 2009, 08:42 PM) View Post

Methinks you should try reading the XML file again. One line is clearly labeled as dealing with the "Maximum user count", and also states it wants you to put a number in there (hint: try "4").

Without it, you'd only be able to log on to SMB servers that provide guest access...

Nice! I adjusted it and it works very well now. I don't anticipate any more problems with this anymore.
I found that if you do ever actually need to open it five times, you can use its "web server" and restart the machine.

Thanks.

- 2 Bunny