xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Creating A Shortcut To Games And Emulators  (Read 85 times)

2 Bunny

• Archived User
Creating A Shortcut To Games And Emulators
« on: September 29, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »

Hello everyone, this is 2 Bunny once again. This time, I have a question on The xBox Media Center. I have been using the "MC360" skin lately, and noticed it has nifty little shortcuts to your apps, emulators, and games. The emulators shortcut works fine, but the games shortcut does not direct me to my "games" folder. Any idea what XML file I would work on to get this? I am sure it is an easy fix.

Thank you so much.

- 2 Bunny unsure.gif

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »

XBMC has five different types of "media menus": Programs, Videos, Music, Pictures and the File Manager. Each of these can be set up with their own list of sources, and each of these can have one "default" source that is opened automatically the first time you access a given media section.

For example, you can create a Pictures source leading to "F:\Pictures", then make that default. When you first open the Pictures menu, it'll instantly jump to the contents of that folder.

With MC360, you're presented with three menus that relate to Programs: but XBMC still only allows one "default" to be set between them. So, MC360 ignores the default system altogether, and instead looks for sources with certain names.

For example, when you select "Games", it'll look for a source with the name "Games" and open that. If it can't find a source by that name, it'll take you to the root of the Programs source list.

You can rename a source by highlighting it, pressing the white button, then selecting "Edit source".

This post has been edited by Bomb Bloke: Sep 30 2009, 02:03 AM

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Sep 29 2009, 09:02 PM) View Post
XBMC has five different types of "media menus": Programs, Videos, Music, Pictures and the File Manager. Each of these can be set up with their own list of sources, and each of these can have one "default" source that is opened automatically the first time you access a given media section.

For example, you can create a Pictures source leading to "F:\Pictures", then make that default. When you first open the Pictures menu, it'll instantly jump to the contents of that folder.

With MC360, you're presented with three menus that relate to Programs: but XBMC still only allows one "default" to be set between them. So, MC360 ignores the default system altogether, and instead looks for sources with certain names.

For example, when you select "Games", it'll look for a source with the name "Games" and open that. If it can't find a source by that name, it'll take you to the root of the Programs source list.

You can rename a source by highlighting it, pressing the white button, then selecting "Edit source".

Yeah: games is a perfect example because my games directory is drive f with the subfolder "games".

So do I press the white button after I have selected it on the tab from the menu in the folder that I want to assign to that menu button?

- 2 Bunny

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »

You press the white button when you have the cursor over the source that you wish to rename.

If in doubt, just push it and see what happens. The system won't explode.

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 07:05:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Sep 30 2009, 07:04 PM) View Post
You press the white button when you have the cursor over the source that you wish to rename.

If in doubt, just push it and see what happens. The system won't explode.

No no no, I know that. Will the "white button" accomplish what I am requesting here though? You weren't terribly clear in your description.

- 2 Bunny

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 02:14:00 AM »

... No, it's just that I sometimes get this weird urge to talk about specific buttons for some reason.

I suspect you might not be able to do what it is you're wanting. We may never know... unless, and this is just a maybe, you get around to trying it.

But I'll try to explain it once more:

Have your Games source named "Games".

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Oct 1 2009, 04:14 AM) View Post
... No, it's just that I sometimes get this weird urge to talk about specific buttons for some reason.

I suspect you might not be able to do what it is you're wanting. We may never know... unless, and this is just a maybe, you get around to trying it.

But I'll try to explain it once more:

Have your Games source named "Games".

Which it is.

Yeah, sometimes I like to talk about random buttons on controllers also. Such an interesting hobby. By the way, does the Sony SixAxis controller have pressure sensitive buttons like DualShock 2 did?

- 2 Bunny ph34r.gif

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »

No idea. I've also never understood why they call it a "SixAxis", when an analog stick can only operate in two.

Ok, so your source is already correctly named. Perhaps you could've mentioned that instead of asking for clarification as to how the renaming process works...  rolleyes.gif

The next step is to try updating XBMC, then if that doesn't help, the skin itself.

http://xboxbox451.go...ient_guide.html

2 Bunny

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Oct 2 2009, 12:38 AM) View Post
No idea. I've also never understood why they call it a "SixAxis", when an analog stick can only operate in two.

Ok, so your source is already correctly named. Perhaps you could've mentioned that instead of asking for clarification as to how the renaming process works...  rolleyes.gif

The next step is to try updating XBMC, then if that doesn't help, the skin itself.

http://xboxbox451.go...ient_guide.html

I wasn't really asking how the renaming process works. I already have the latest version of MC360 and the xBox Media Center.

- 2 Bunny