xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbmc Ftp Transfer  (Read 68 times)

sturds

• Archived User
Xbmc Ftp Transfer
« on: October 16, 2006, 12:22:00 AM »

Hi,
   I recently networked my xbox to my network.  After it connected I logged onto the xbox ftp from my pc using a ftp program..  After this worked I then changed the ftp password for extra security on the evox XBMC. I recieved a message saying that the password had been changed.  Carelessly i forgot the password so i changed it to something simple but was unable to login to the ftp.  I've messed around with several passwords and tried default xbox:xbox and still no luck.  I can only recall it displaying amessage that it had been changed after the first time which is a bit strange(i have no idea what i used as that intiail password)..  Is thier anyway to change this password? i currently have it back as xbox but my ftp program gets dumped for wrong password (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

any help would be gretaly appreciated

acid_5nak3

• Archived User
Xbmc Ftp Transfer
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 05:54:00 AM »

Well then you must download the Flash FXP application and try to FTP your xbox to your PC using this application.

gsgleason

• Archived User
Xbmc Ftp Transfer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 08:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(sturds @ Oct 15 2006, 11:53 PM) View Post

...changed the ftp password for extra security on the evox XBMC...

This I dont' understand.  Did you change it in evox dash or in xbox media center?
QUOTE(acid_5nak3 @ Oct 16 2006, 05:25 AM) View Post

Well then you must download the Flash FXP application and try to FTP your xbox to your PC using this application.

I don't see how that's going to help. The password is on the ftp server (xbox) so using a different client won't help.

If you have a boot disc, you can use that to transfer the default filezillaserver.xml file back to the xbox in the appropriate directory, depending upon the version of XBMC and your individual setup.

In the current build, the enctypted password "xbox" is 3a3417f5f20a03a98973689887fb72a2 which you could edit with a text editor on the xbox, if you have one installed on the xbox.

Here's a link to the xbox media center online manual section explaining this, as well as a password encriptino tool.  You can't go backwards, of course..

And by the way, this really has nothing to do with evox.  Evox stores it's ftp password as plain text, which you can change in the setting menu.  Be sure to save and exit after you make a change all the way at the bottom of the evox setting menu.

So it could very well be one password in evox and another in xbmc, if I understand you correctly.

sturds

• Archived User
Xbmc Ftp Transfer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 05:47:00 PM »

Hi,
     Thanks a lot for the reply,  My xbox boots into XBMC I got misled by the EVOx symbol when xbox turns on.. If I use the eject button to power on it starts like a normal xbox.. I have only been changing the ftp password in the XBMC menu system...  So it seems i need to edit  filezillaserver.xml? which I have been able to locate browsing the  file system.  I can't seem to find a text editor on the xbox what would be the easiest way to do this.. Is thier a text editor i could download.. im a major xbox newb unfortuanately.  thank you for your time

cheers

mrRobinson

• Archived User
Xbmc Ftp Transfer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 01:51:00 PM »

I'll move this to the xbmc forum for you then...

sturds

• Archived User
Xbmc Ftp Transfer
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 09:06:00 PM »

Ahh finally got it using the notepad script and the text to md5 hash converter thing, then edited filezilla.xml.. tis all good thanks for the help and sorry about the misplaced topic..

cheers

The Zep Man

• Archived User
Xbmc Ftp Transfer
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 10:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(sturds @ Oct 18 2006, 04:37 AM) View Post

Ahh finally got it using the notepad script and the text to md5 hash converter thing, then edited filezilla.xml.. tis all good thanks for the help and sorry about the misplaced topic..
cheers
Before you forget your password again, put UnleashX (or any other FTP-capable dashboard) with the default credentials (xbox/xbox) somewhere on your HDD so you can always start it with XBMC. Or even better: Next time, create a bootdisc.