xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Can't See Shares On My Pc  (Read 142 times)

00g

• Archived User
Can't See Shares On My Pc
« on: May 10, 2005, 07:43:00 PM »

I had the same problem.

Instead of using the "workgroup" option. I just put my IP address in the SMB share thing.

Now it works perfectly.

EDIT: To do so, you need to edit the XML.

jROC99

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 05:50:00 AM »

you are right.. it does work if i use samba after creating an xbox account on my pc.

whatever it is..the xbox seems to connect as guest..and for some reason the pc is blocking something for that account..

but..damned if i can figure it out..

jROC

X3CE

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 08:49:00 AM »

How do you set up XBMX to Streamm like My Videos from my PC?

00g

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 02:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(jROC99 @ May 11 2005, 05:15 AM)
bah.. has something changed in windows?? maybe some kind of security update.

migito888

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 08:44:00 AM »

Not sure if this is related, but when I use smb:// as the path, XBMC freezes a bit and then asks for a username/password then shows nothing.

My PC is set to allow anyone to access my shared folders.  The above settings used to work (2-14 release) but stopped working when I upgraded to 5-2 release.

00g

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 10:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(migito888 @ May 13 2005, 08:50 AM)
Not sure if this is related, but when I use smb:// as the path, XBMC freezes a bit and then asks for a username/password then shows nothing.

migito888

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 10:33:00 PM »

Well, it works if I have an IP set.  But I used to use smb:// to browse the whole network.  Now, its not working.  Its just giving me an object not found error.

minimoebius

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 01:45:00 AM »

I too was having samba share problems as of late and I finally figured it out.  I think there was a change in the latest XP service pack.  Anyway, if you followed the directions and still cant access you shared directories do the following.

1) On XP, go to the shared directory and add "administrators", or "power users", or "users" (your xbox user should already be listed if you followed the samba directions).

2) Click start -> My Network Places.  You should see your shares here.  Right click, hit properties, then click the security tab (if there is no security tab then go back to step 1).  You will notice that your xbox user is not listed.  Add your xbox user.  A dialog box will pop up and warn you against sharing files remotely.  Click okay.  Close the properties box then right click share and click properties again, you will see that the xbox user is the only one listed in this box (if there were any other guys there at the beginning of the step they should have disappeared).

3) Turn on your xbox and access the share!

Jastons

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 02:53:00 AM »

Im confused, Please help.

In can connect to my xbox from my pc with no problems etc. I have shared two folders on my pc running windows xp and as far as i know anyone trying to view these folders has full access. I beleive i have edited the .xml file accordingly, this is the ONLY thing i have changed:

<bookmark>
<name> Stream Media </name>
<path> smb://My Workgroup name;my xp username:my xp password@my computers name/the name of a shared folder </path>
</bookmark>

Also minimoebius, How do i find out which users have access to my shared folders?
I have shared the folders as instructed but when i click Properties -> Sharing i see no users listed in any boxes.

Thanks.

minimoebius

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 10:45:00 AM »

Bah, forget my previous recommendation.  That was a hack.  It worked but it was a hack.  I posted a much cleaner solution here.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=397273

Now, Jastons,

Go to the above link.  If you follow the steps to set up shared directories securely and then follow the additional links listed in the link, then only your xbox, the computers administrators (no way getting around that), or you can access the shared folders.

As for what to edit in the xml file, I also posted a simpler solution than that in the tutorials.  A lot of people use this alternate solution so its no secret, it just rarely shows up in the tutorials.

Jastons

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 11:25:00 AM »

Im sure i have followed all of the steps correctly, minimoebius, but when i try to access the shares on my xbox, i get asked for a username and password so i enter them, xbmc waits for about a minute and then asks again for a username and password. I put in the correct username and password but it still keeps asking.

minimoebius

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 12:00:00 PM »

Double check this:

Right click the folder(s) that you want to share.  Click the share tab.  Select your share name from the drop down list. Click permissions.  Ensure your xbox user name is present. If its not, add it.

Now click the security tab.  Make sure "Administrators", "System", your xp login id, AND your xbox user name are ALL present. If any of those are missing, add them.  Except for xbox the rest should be there by default but with all the modifying you have done some of them may have disappeared.

Now kill your firewall if you are running one.

Boot your xbox and give it a try.

If it works, try it with your firewall running.  If it breaks now then its the firewall.

If it still does not work, even with your firewall disabled, then check your xbox user passwords (both on the PC and the xbox) to ensure they match (you wont be able to view the password on the PC but you will be able to change it.