xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "access Denied"  (Read 622 times)

ruddyrum

• Archived User
"access Denied"
« on: March 27, 2005, 07:14:00 AM »

I have recently re-installed windows, and since, have not been able to access files on my network via XBMC...   :(

Beforehand everything was running fine, and i have kept the exact same settings, except my previous shared folder was in my E: but now its in C: but still comes up on the network as "\\computername\\MySharedDrives" i have setup an xbox permission, exactly as it was previously, and no firewall is inplace that could be preventing access. what am i doing wrong?!?!

Thanks

edit: i have read that using an NTFS file system could prevent access, but there was no reply to the topic... is this true???

This post has been edited by ruddyrum: Mar 27 2005, 03:25 PM

alexb

• Archived User
"access Denied"
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 08:31:00 AM »

Hi,

Try enabling the guest account in windows.

start-> Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Guest Account -> Enable.

Hope this helps.

Alex

ruddyrum

• Archived User
"access Denied"
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 08:38:00 AM »

A soulution that simple, would have been too good to be true  smile.gif

I have just enabled my guest account,  but am still recieving the "access denied" message

Thanks for the suggestion though... have any others ?  tongue.gif

kingroach

• Archived User
"access Denied"
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 09:22:00 AM »

I also had the same problem after reinstalling windows.. Later I found out, its not a XBMC issue but xp issue.. You have to get a network id for LAN.

right click on the "My Computer" . Go to "properties>computer name". Now click on "network Id". There , it will ask you if you are part of corporate network or home network. Choose "home network". After you finish the wizard, retsart.

I never had to do that when I last time installed xp.. But this time I had to do this..  guess it has something to do with XP SP2.

elgeneralissimo

• Archived User
"access Denied"
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 09:27:00 AM »

bump for ruddyrum

I've had the same problem for a while now.  Never could get SMB shares to show up, just get the "access denied".

Been using ccxstream/xbmsp and it works fine, but i'd like to see if i couldn't get the SMB to work instead.

bumpity bump bump

yazoo32

• Archived User
"access Denied"
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 09:31:00 AM »

just add Everyone to the "Group or user names:" of the security of the folder you want to share.

ruddyrum

• Archived User
"access Denied"
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 09:45:00 AM »

i havent installed SP2 at all.... i find it odd, as all settings are exactly the same as previous installation, but now it's just decided to go tits up!!!

i have also added the Everyone to the "Group or user names:"... still no luck

i have never heard of ccxstream/xbmsp....  could you give me any more info elgeneralissimo??

bwanaaa

• Archived User
"access Denied"
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 11:19:00 AM »

i find the same thing when i try to go to the Music  category. But if i browse for my mp3s on my smb share using 'files' i have no problem. go figure...

ZaFoD

• Archived User
"access Denied"
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 12:03:00 PM »

Ruddyrum,

If your using XP-Pro.
Go into Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View Tab.
At the bottom of Advanced Settings you'll 'Use Simple File Sharing'

If its NOT ticked, tick it and reboot.

If it IS ticked, UNTICK it, and reboot.
Then go back and tick it again, and reboot.

If you have other PC's on your network, you may to do the same with them too.
This has solved some of my network probs in the past.

ruddyrum

• Archived User
"access Denied"
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 12:40:00 PM »

A big thanks to each and everyone of you for your suggestions, but none of them seem to have done the trick... i am currently backing up my system, and will the re-format my windows partition, re-install windows (again!) and will do the same for the MySharedDrives partition.

i am still confused as to why SMB does not work, as all settings are identical to when it was working a week ago, and the XboxMediaCenter.xml file has not been edited since i have had XBMC!!!

I will let you all know how it goes, but please still keep the suggestions coming, as there may be others experiancing similar difficulties

Thanks again!!!!    :P

elgeneralissimo

• Archived User
"access Denied"
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 05:03:00 PM »

ruddyrum,

ccxstream (ccxgui) is a program you can download on pc to share with xbmc using the "auto detect xbmsp shares" (or something like that, i'm not near the xbox).

It's kinda just a server program and you add your files you want to share to it.

I can't remember where i downloaded it, (on one of the XBMC related sites).  It works pretty good, guess i should just go with what works.

elgeneralissimo

• Archived User
"access Denied"
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 05:03:00 PM »

ruddyrum,

ccxstream (ccxgui) is a program you can download on pc to share with xbmc using the "auto detect xbmsp shares" (or something like that, i'm not near the xbox).

It's kinda just a server program and you add your files you want to share to it.

I can't remember where i downloaded it, (on one of the XBMC related sites).  It works pretty good, guess i should just go with what works.

elgeneralissimo

• Archived User
"access Denied"
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2005, 05:08:00 PM »

that was gay,

I didn't do that,,,,  tongue.gif

site did

ruddyrum

• Archived User
"access Denied"
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 03:29:00 AM »

lol...  will check it out!!! thanks for the info

nickb834

• Archived User
"access Denied"
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 05:06:00 AM »

ruddyrum - copy and paste into a reply one of your shares defined in xboxmediacenter.xml - then I'll take a look and hopefully tell you exactly what you need to do.

Also what variant of windows (XP Home / Pro/ SP1 etc/ linux) you running on your PC? I'll be able to post some screenshots of how you should have options ticked etc.....

I've reinstalled multiple machines on my home lan and never had a problem so I may be able to help.

Nick
Pages: [1] 2