xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: +4gb Vob Files  (Read 32 times)

Mandrake

• Archived User
+4gb Vob Files
« on: March 06, 2004, 11:06:00 PM »

As it is clearly stated in the faq. XBMC has nothing to do with this problem. The issue is that the FatX (the xbox filesystem) simply can't handle files that are any larger than 4gb, so the only way you will be able to play the file will be to stream it from your comp. or putting it on a dvd... the file will never be on the xbox harddrive.

elpollo

• Archived User
+4gb Vob Files
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 09:27:00 PM »

Thanks for the help Mandrake but maybe I didn't make my explanation clear.

Using XBMP cpx-2.4 I can play vob files +4gb without any problems. I've tried different files greater than 4gb and they all play with no problems.

When I use XBMC is when the probles start. I know that the explanation for files not playing on XBMC is that XBOX is the one that can't handle the files on the HDD, but if that is the case, why do the files play with no problems on XBMP?

Note: Files are been played in both situations directly from the Xbox HDD.

aNAREXIA

• Archived User
+4gb Vob Files
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2004, 10:10:00 PM »

The fact that XBMP plays teh files doesn't mean that the XboX can handle files larger then 4GB. XBMP WON'T play any further then this 4GB limit. If the movie is longer, you won't be able 2 see the end of the movie.

I know what I'm talking about, I had the same "problem" more then a year ago.

So split the file, copy it on DVD or stream it, but accept the answer.

grtz
aNAREXIA

Morien

• Archived User
+4gb Vob Files
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2004, 10:46:00 PM »

It sounds to me that he's running the vobs off of a dvd and NOT the hdd. Therefore the FAT-X limitation is void as that applies to the HDD (and dvds are udf for files of such a size).
I don't know why it won't work, but perhaps this bit of insight might allow others to help.

Morien

elpollo

• Archived User
+4gb Vob Files
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 05:47:00 AM »

Well you guys thanks for the help.

Anarexia with XBMP I am playing the +4gb files all the way to the end of the file. I have tested various files of diferent sizes all above 4gb and they all play to the end of the file.

I undersand what all you guys are saying (about Xbox not handling +4gb) but with XBMP I am playing vob files greater than 4gb on the Xbox HDD and they play all the way to the end of the file.