xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Having Trouble Streaming - Help Requested  (Read 40 times)

gadgetaddict

• Archived User
Having Trouble Streaming - Help Requested
« on: January 19, 2004, 05:29:00 PM »

Hi Gang!
I wrote a whole, long post earlier today, I was just checking for any replies, and it turns out I guess my post didn't go through - doh!  so here goes as best as i can remember...

i finally installed XBMC.  I have no idea how to configure the xml file to allow streaming.  I installed ccXstream GUI, and was unable to get any streaming in.  I did try monkeying with some of the settings which resulted in it not loading XBMC.
I'm using a crossover cable, and windows xp.
as best as i can remember, my network ftp setting is something like 169.254.35.5
i am able to ftp into the xbox, so i'm not a complete clod - just a partial clod smile.gif
if someone could please help me, or even better, post the right parts of the xml file, i think it would help me and many other newbies.  i'm interested in streaming video and photos - from the video aspect, i'd like to be able to beam over avis, etc. but also, play a cd-r that is either a video cd, or just a divx/avi file, and have it play from the xbox (which is picky about which media it reads - thank you thompson drive...)
Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated - along with the recommended server software - i like the idea of a GUI, but if command line and a subdirectory are the better choice, then i'll go that way.  I did download relax, but don't know what i'm doing.  ditto, i have heard of samba, but don't know anything about it.  Thanks again! smile.gif

SigTom

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 01:17:00 AM »

Easy one first;

Wozwebs: Ill answer the streaming question in a second, as far as the section you saw for http in the settings menu under general for XBMC thats to allow you to control the XBMC player thru a web page, i.e choose what song to play, queue songs/movies, whatever. You would use it like so http://ip.of.your.xbox, pop that in your web page when XBMC is running and make sure youve set HTTP to on.  

OK  Heres some info for streaming using RelaX.  Relax can be found linked off the xbmc site.  For reference, I am using the 01-15-04 build of XBMC.    

RelaX Usage:

Start GUI, add folders you want to share, start the server (if you need more detailed explanations, theres a good tut over on XBMC's site).  In the XBMC.xml this is the relevant areas:

CODE

XNS
     xns://192.168.1.x:1500

Each section for Video, music, etc has the above.  
192.168.1.x is the IP of the computer that is running RelaX, i.e the PC that has the files you want to stream.  The :1500 is the port that RelaX is running on, you can change it in the RelaX GUI, but you dont have too unless you already have a service using that port.    
Once XBMC is running, make sure RelaX is also running on the PC and you SHOULD be able to see the shares.  

gadgetaddict: The above should work for you as well.  ccX is very similar to relax, uses the same port even, but Ive found relax easier to use (I like the RelaX GUI better).

Samba is a lil more complicated, as you have to make sure that youve enabled file sharing for the folder you want to share.  Ill give you a quick and dirty explanation of the xml code.  If you need more info, search the forums here, I am pretty sure Ive seen a recent post going into detail.  

CODE

SMB

smb://DOMAIN;username:pwd@MyWindowsServer/movies

Ok, the smb:// part defines what protocol your using, Samba.
Domain is the workgroup your computer is on.  If your running WinXP pro, go to my computer, right click, properties, and go to the tab Computer Name, and youll see the workgroup you belong to, i.e the domain.  If you left it alone when setting up XP, its most likey WORKGROUP.  If not, write down whatever is.  My workgroup is called Daddy.  

So far, if I were setting this up, I would have smb://DADDY;

User is your user name on WinXP.  If you click on the start button in WinXP, at the top of the start menu, youll see your user name if you dont know it.  Mine is SigTom.

Now I have smb://DADDY;SigTom

pwd is your pwd for your user name, if you havent set one up before, you can do so if you want, but you SHOULD be able to get around it.  If you want to set up a pwd, click start->control panel->user accounts.  Youll see the user accounts set up, and your user name, follow directions to set up a pwd.  

Now I have smb://DADDY;SigTom:BogusPwd (or if no pwd set use smb://DADDY;SigTom)

@ IP is the IP of the computer your sharing from, example will be 192.168.1.x

Now I have smb://DADDY;SigTom:[email protected]

Share and directory refer to the folders you shared on your computer.  I shared a folder called XBoxStuff.

So I would end up

smb://DADDY;SigTom:[email protected]/XBoxStuff

Hope this helps you guys.  

gadgetaddict

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 05:46:00 AM »

strange - i don't know what's going on - i wrote a long reply that got lost also - anyway, here goes:
Thank you VERY much SigTom - your reply obviously took a while to put together, and it is very much appreciated - i hope it helps fellow newbs.
i dont see why someone would want to use samba if relax/xns is so much easier to configure, but i'm sure samba has its advantages.  me, i'll install relax tonight and give it a whirl! smile.gif
i didn't realize xbmc's site had tutorials, i looked but didn't see any - i'll check it out again - maybe it will keep me from asking further dumb questions smile.gif
thank you again - your reply is very much appreciated!

SigTom

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 10:44:00 AM »

Well, one advantage I found out recently for using Samba, if you have a few XBoxes like I do, and have them on a subnet diferent than the one the PC is on, it can work across the subnet, where as the old Samba vs in XBMC wouldnt do that.  Very cool indeed.

Also as far as the tuts on xbmc website, it may not be on XBMC, you may have to look on xbmp site, but the tuts work the same as far as RelaX is concerned.

nimbles

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 02:36:00 PM »

hey thanks sigtom for your quickstop tutorial!!! i got it working first time!

thanks alot once again

p.s. do you know if they will set up the samba like it was in xbmp- e.g. smb//domain/computer name/shared folder ?
its just with being on a dhcp enabled router my ip address is prone to changing every so often

SigTom

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 07:33:00 PM »

Yeah sorry, shoudlve mentioned it, you can use the NetBIOS name of the computer as well.

mc_365

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 04:14:00 PM »

If your pc is XP OS use samba, its very easy.  URL is "Worgroup Name" ; "User Name": "Password(only if set on pc)" @ "IP of PC" (back slash) "name of shared directory"

Worgroup, User Name, Password, and name of shared should all be defined in Windows XP PC.

You just set up another user or use the user information for your defualt logon.

Hope I said this correctly trying to be very simple to make it most understandable.

NYCT

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 06:12:00 PM »

I agree with mc_365.  I suggest you just use Windows sharing and use the "samba" options in XBMC.  Now that it includes the official Samba code, it works flawlessly.  All you have to do is right click on the folder in Windows XP and select "Sharing and Security..."

I suggest you use the ip address of your computer instead of the computer name when entering the info in the xml file.