xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: #xbmc On Efnet Sucks  (Read 94 times)

falser

• Archived User
#xbmc On Efnet Sucks
« on: January 18, 2004, 02:15:00 PM »

Maybe you picked a bad day.  Never been there myself so I dunno.  But generating thumbails in the picture viewer was a matter of clicking the "generate thumbnails" button.  Or do you mean creating your own thumbnail images for your directories?  That function may not be in XBMC yet.

luther349

• Archived User
#xbmc On Efnet Sucks
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 10:24:00 PM »

irc is always good for having alot of newbs talking shit. just disregard them and someone will evently help you out. or try humm these fourms lol.

heinrich

• Archived User
#xbmc On Efnet Sucks
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 10:41:00 PM »

QUOTE (snorkleboy @ Jan 18 2004, 07:04 PM)
so I got on #xbmc on efnet to ask a question about getting thumbnails to display correctly and got banned.  Wtf is the problem with people.  Why would you have a channel if your not interested in answering questions.
This post isn't exactly relevant, but it perplexes me.  What is the point of having a support channel if your not willing to offer support.

Why would you join #xbmc with the nick 'xbmcsucks' and expect help is the better question.

[18:59:26] ::: join: (snorklebo) ([email protected])
[19:00:03] [snorklebo] whats up with thumbs
[19:00:16] [snorklebo] what do i have to do to get them to display?
[19:00:24] [snorklebo] anyone?
[19:00:57] ::: join: (littlejon) ([email protected])
[19:01:01] [snorklebo] hello?
[19:01:01] ::: part: (littlejon)
[19:01:27] ::: quit: (r0c) (Ping timeout: 248 seconds)
[19:01:44] ::: join: (qualar) ([email protected])
[19:01:53] [snorklebo] ok, I'll pose the question differently
[19:02:14] ::: part: (crayola_)
[19:02:32] [snorklebo] is it possible to get thumbnails I was using in xbmp to display in xbmc
[19:04:57] ::: join: (xbmcsucks) ([email protected]) (1 clone: snorklebo)
[19:05:06] [xbmcsucks] still would like an answer
[19:05:19] [xbmcsucks] come on
[19:05:26] [xbmcsucks] someone has to know the answer to this
[19:05:28] ::: mode: (DDay) sets (+b *!*snorklebo@*.mi.comcast.net)
[19:05:28] ::: This (*!*snorklebo@*.mi.comcast.net) ban affects (xbmcsucks, snorklebo)
[19:05:29] ::: kick: (xbmcsucks) was kicked by (DDay) (Blacklisted- OUT!)
[19:05:29] ::: kick: (snorklebo) was kicked by (DDay) (Blacklisted- OUT!)

Anyway... IRC issues belong on IRC, not in these forums, feel free to start a thread asking for help, but starting a thread whining about something on IRC isnt needed.

Xbox-Savage

• Archived User
#xbmc On Efnet Sucks
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 11:50:00 PM »

QUOTE (heinrich @ Jan 19 2004, 04:41 AM)
QUOTE (snorkleboy @ Jan 18 2004, 07:04 PM)
so I got on #xbmc on efnet to ask a question about getting thumbnails to display correctly and got banned.  Wtf is the problem with people.  Why would you have a channel if your not interested in answering questions.
This post isn't exactly relevant, but it perplexes me.  What is the point of having a support channel if your not willing to offer support.

Why would you join #xbmc with the nick 'xbmcsucks' and expect help is the better question.

[18:59:26] ::: join: (snorklebo) ([email protected])
[19:00:03] [snorklebo] whats up with thumbs
[19:00:16] [snorklebo] what do i have to do to get them to display?
[19:00:24] [snorklebo] anyone?
[19:00:57] ::: join: (littlejon) ([email protected])
[19:01:01] [snorklebo] hello?
[19:01:01] ::: part: (littlejon)
[19:01:27] ::: quit: (r0c) (Ping timeout: 248 seconds)
[19:01:44] ::: join: (qualar) ([email protected])
[19:01:53] [snorklebo] ok, I'll pose the question differently
[19:02:14] ::: part: (crayola_)
[19:02:32] [snorklebo] is it possible to get thumbnails I was using in xbmp to display in xbmc
[19:04:57] ::: join: (xbmcsucks) ([email protected]) (1 clone: snorklebo)
[19:05:06] [xbmcsucks] still would like an answer
[19:05:19] [xbmcsucks] come on
[19:05:26] [xbmcsucks] someone has to know the answer to this
[19:05:28] ::: mode: (DDay) sets (+b *!*snorklebo@*.mi.comcast.net)
[19:05:28] ::: This (*!*snorklebo@*.mi.comcast.net) ban affects (xbmcsucks, snorklebo)
[19:05:29] ::: kick: (xbmcsucks) was kicked by (DDay) (Blacklisted- OUT!)
[19:05:29] ::: kick: (snorklebo) was kicked by (DDay) (Blacklisted- OUT!)

Anyway... IRC issues belong on IRC, not in these forums, feel free to start a thread asking for help, but starting a thread whining about something on IRC isnt needed.

ph34r.gif  own3d  ph34r.gif

82ross

• Archived User
#xbmc On Efnet Sucks
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 11:33:00 AM »

QUOTE (snorkleboy @ Jan 19 2004, 12:04 AM)
What is the point of having a support channel if your not willing to offer support.

What is the point of going into a support channel if your not willing to wait for help.

Ive seen hundreds of people get help in that chan, never seen anyone act badly. People dont sit there all day waiting for people who need help, they are just in there to help when they are available todo so

Its not like your paying for anything, have patience and someone will help you in the end.

Heet

• Archived User
#xbmc On Efnet Sucks
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 11:54:00 AM »

I would have banned you too.  You didnt have any patience and sounded like a woman.

Heet

• Archived User
#xbmc On Efnet Sucks
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 11:56:00 AM »

*heinrich said it better than i ever could have.

ylsf

• Archived User
#xbmc On Efnet Sucks
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 11:51:00 AM »

Yup.. I think the problem was you should have waited.. maybe clarify your question yes, but since no one else posted anything inbetween it looks like you were a bit impatient (Assuming the log isn't edited at all as it doesn't appear to be

tslayer

• Archived User
#xbmc On Efnet Sucks
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 12:22:00 PM »

It wasn't edited.  I actually have the same log (without the time next to it).

Very impatient..

TS

tslayer

• Archived User
#xbmc On Efnet Sucks
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 04:33:00 PM »

Maybe they did not have an answer.  An answer will be provided if there is one, but if there isn't, then there isn't.

TS

Heet

• Archived User
#xbmc On Efnet Sucks
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 04:51:00 PM »

Exactly.  Not everyone knows EVERYTHING.  Especially an app you may not use, granted xbmp/mc is arguably the best app for xbox out.  By saying someone HAS to answer you is saying that they are your bitch.  If you see me in a channel and I dont answer, I dont have to, I aint your bitch.

Morien

• Archived User
#xbmc On Efnet Sucks
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »

Maaan, I hate it when things are given to me for free but I don't recieve 24/7 support for it... Maaan.

LepPpeR

• Archived User
#xbmc On Efnet Sucks
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2004, 07:15:00 PM »

Nice work.  Made me chuckle for a bit.

heinrich

• Archived User
#xbmc On Efnet Sucks
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 10:03:00 PM »

QUOTE (dazdastardly @ Jan 20 2004, 08:20 PM)
being Devils advocate for a second, how is it someone with op status managed to ban him within 20 seconds of him signing on with an aggressive nickname but didnt manage to answer his question or even respond for 5 mins....

not very nice really is it  dry.gif

....well deserved ban though, no need for the name change (but atleast he got your attention wink.gif )

Simple, I op in several xbox related channels, it happens all the time.  I look in lets say.. #evolutionx, someone asked a question 5 minutes ago, no one is around to answer them, now they are going on about how evox sucks ass.  Do I take the time out of my day to now sit down and help them with their problem?  Hell no, I ban them.  Its not paid tech support, if you can't have enough patience to simply wait for an answer, then you can always post on the forums here, or on the XBMC forums on their website.
Chances are much more likely that DDay sat down just then, or happened to look in the channel just then.... as opposed to sitting at his PC with his thumb up his ass saying in his head, "look at this guy asking for help, I could help him......hmmmm..... NAHH" and continued to stare at the wall.

xionanx

• Archived User
#xbmc On Efnet Sucks
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2004, 09:38:00 AM »

My experience with IRC over the past 6-7 years has been that 90% of the channel ops develop a god complex and have a clique that hangs in the channel with them doing nothing more then harassing people they percieve as "noobs".  They always have some lame inside joke they think is funny, like tricking "noobs" into saying some word that will get them autokicked by a channel bot, or whatever.

These people have the "L33T" attitude, and god forbid you make one of them look stupid by answering a question they couldn't, or worse yet pointing out an error in something they said..  This has pretty much always been the case, with almost no exceptions..  I have unfortunantly had to use IRC more often then I find desirable.  Thats why I avoid IRC at all costs, and when I am forced to use it I don't bother trying to communicate with the people in the chat room.

In this case, a simple of answer of "I don't know" by anyone in the chat room could have easily diffused the situation.  As it is, the guy decided to provoke a response.  Even then, he should not have been banned outright.  A warning with a suggestion to change his nick should have been the FIRST thing that was done, then if he continued to be a dick, then kickban him.  Basically, the way I see it, everyone involved was being a dick, and if I had any say/control over who ops the channel, DDAY would not be an op ever again.

All this reminds me of the days when some of the board moderators here were abusing the priveledge...  needless to say they got rid of them, and now we have a great forum here..  anyway, I digress.  Point being, if you have the DESIRE to step up to the plate and shoulder a position of responsibility, then you should do your best to maintain a calm head, helpfull attitude, and a fair and even hand..  This was a fine example of someone NOT doing that...
Pages: [1] 2