xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Audio Settings In Xbmc  (Read 180 times)

jmarshall

• Archived User
Audio Settings In Xbmc
« on: November 09, 2003, 12:31:00 PM »

Output To All speakers means stereo sources are redirected to the number of speakers specified in the "Number of Channels" field.

AC3 passthrough passes AC3 direct through to the digital output, without resampling it as the XBox likes to do normally.  At the moment, some people report out of sync audio with this option on.  Try it and see what you think.

For your setup, I would disable Output To All Speakers, set AC3 passthru on (if you don't have audio delay issues) and set the Number of Channels to 2.

If you want stereo sources to be converted to surround sources, use your receiver - this will optimize the quality.

These features are being improved, and will be eventually replaced by more obvious GUI options.

b01

• Archived User
Audio Settings In Xbmc
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 12:44:00 PM »

ph34r.gif output to all speakers means,
1)  Standard - two speakers,  then send audio to both speakers.
2)  2.1 speakers - 2 speakers and a sub-woofer then output audio to all 3.
3)  5.1 speakers - 4 speakers, 1 center speaker and 1 sub-woofer, then output audio to all 6.

In order for the six channel option to have the best effect, you need 5.1 speakers hooked up to your xbox, which requires the xbox digital audio package or the like.

6 channel audio is the same as surround sound, try to think of each speaker having 1 channel:

user posted image
Surround Sound setup each square represents a speaker and you are the circle in the middle.
Note: you are surrounded by sound, thus surround sound.

FR = Front Right Speaker uses channel 1
FC = Front Center Speaker uses channel 3
FL = Front Left Speaker uses channel 2

RR = Rear Right speakers uses channel 4
RL = Rear Left Speaker uses channel 5
Sub-Woofer uses channel 6

If my thinking is wrong someone please correct me.

Note: Put the sub-woofer somewhere near the floor for best effect
also in any speaker package, the sub-woofer is alway noted by the .1, as in 5.1 means 5 speakers and a sub-woofer or 2.1, which means 2 speakers and a sub-woofer.

Aron Parsons

• Archived User
Audio Settings In Xbmc
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 08:28:00 AM »

AC3 Passthru takes the AC3 stream (if it's there) and outputs it directly to your receiver via the optical cable with absolutley no processing done by the Xbox.  If this is not enabled, the Xbox decodes the audio and re-encodes it to AC3 using the Xbox hardware (this results in sound degredation).  Output to all speakers, well I'm not exactly sure what that does seeing as I either use passthru or use DPL2 to create 5.1.  By the way, the 11-10 build of XBMC fixes sync issues with AC3 passthru, so give it a shot.