xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Windows Ce.net  (Read 838 times)

obcd

• Archived User
Windows Ce.net
« on: April 06, 2009, 02:52:00 AM »

I know that a guy who called himself artifex made a proof of concept that the windows CE OS could run on the xbox.
The website about this project dissapeard.
The binaries are still available on the internet, but I couldn't locate a trace anymore of the sources that where used to create the CE image and the bootloader.

So, my question is, does anybody know where I could find those sources? Or maybe someone knows where I could contact artifex who started the project.

Windows CE should run at a normal speed on the xbox. I have it running on an Internet Appliance pc with 32MB ram and a 200 Mhz AMD processor. You can have the Embedded Visual C Ide for free from Microsoft. The Binaries you create can be distributed without copyright problems. Most programs designed for pocket PC's can be modified to run on a x86 CE system. (If you have the sources.)

regards.

grimdoomer

• Archived User
Windows Ce.net
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »

It would run fine since the dreamcast ran a modified CE kernel. Check the ussual places, there is a readme in the package, I believe there is some more info on it there, and maybe and email address. But what he did was download the source for Windows CE and port it to the xbox.

obcd

• Archived User
Windows Ce.net
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 02:18:00 AM »

I did my homework. The email address in the readme doesn't exist anymore.
I found the original articles here on xbox-scene which pointed me to sourceforge.
I found some incomplete sources there which are now already safely on my harddisk.
The thing that wasn't there is the modified xbeboot.xbe.
That was initially the bootloader to boot linux on the xbox.
I can find the original sources of it in the xbox-linux project.
It would be helpfull if I could start where the project ended.
It's not an easy job to port CE to a new platform.

The only thing available in the usual places are the proof of concept binaries of the bootloader and ce image.

Thanks for the reply

regards.