xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Running Windows 98 On Xbox, Need Help Setting Up Ftp Server.  (Read 978 times)

modxboxman

• Archived User

My PC is hooked up to my xbox via an ethernet cable. Normally I can easily ftp files back and forth. Or else I can just put them on a dvd.

Now the xbox is running windows 98 via emulation. This complicates things. I have no way right now to transport files to and from the xbox. It basically exists in a vacume.  I'm afraid I don't know enough about FTP servers and things like that to get this set up. Can somebody help me out?

Note that neither the PC nor the xbox is connected to the internet, but the PC is using 192.168.0.5 and the xbox uses 192.168.0.3.

Thanks,
Phillip

ldotsfan

• Archived User
Running Windows 98 On Xbox, Need Help Setting Up Ftp Server.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 06:40:00 AM »

May I asking why are you doing this? Is the performance very slow for any given task?

What emulator are you using to run Win98? qemu on linux? If that's the case, look at the qemu networking section in the manual.

modxboxman

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ May 21 2008, 07:40 AM) *

May I asking why are you doing this? Is the performance very slow for any given task?

What emulator are you using to run Win98? qemu on linux? If that's the case, look at the qemu networking section in the manual.

Yes, it is qemu. I didn't see anything useful in the manuals, unfortunately.  Wait, is qemu a utility that comes with Linux?  The name of the software is 98Lite.  It's quite bizarre actually.  You install windows in a virtual space, and then you use the installation file to run 98 on the xbox.

As for why, well I'm a win 98 maniac, so I just find it interesting. Additionally, I'm assuming it can do web access. I'd really like to get my xbox out onto the web. And I'm just not that big of a linux fan.

Phillip

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 07:42:00 AM »

The qemu manual has instructions on networking. It's a bit complicated as you first have to get the linux host networking talking to your PC before you attempt to get the qemu client running Win98 talking to your PC. See if you can ping the xbox from your PC when it's running linux as a start. Google for how to do ping if you are not sure.