xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Last Word On A Project64 Port  (Read 271 times)

nazis X.

• Archived User
The Last Word On A Project64 Port
« on: April 23, 2003, 09:10:00 PM »

That sucks. Sorry to hear about that, man. I hope that maybe, by some miracle, a workaround is thought up (Swap/Virtual Memory isn't one of them... too hard to implement) to make it possible.
Of course, now we're gonna hear a bunch of flamers state that it'd be possible with Swap Memory and why you can't do it if Lunar could. smile.gif

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 09:17:00 PM »

Yup, thanks cuz its better to know then get false hopes up.

GLiTcH

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 09:30:00 PM »

o well, ppl can buy used n64 systems n games ... i just need to go buy another starfox 64 game...
so no big deal for me about an n64 emulator... n since it hard to do this project... i gues a psx emu is  out too... laugh.gif

nazis X.

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2003, 09:34:00 PM »

That's an interesting question. Lantus, do you believe a PSX emulator, at full speed with sound, is possible?
I'm thinking it may, considering it's not cartridge based like the N64, and therefore need not load the entire image into the RAM. I'm not programmer or expert on emulation, so there's a good chance I'm wrong.

Koitsu

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2003, 09:35:00 PM »

it's cool. only games i liked were ogre battle and paper mario, and i still own 'em. wasn't too fond of the system anyways.

Zero

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2003, 09:39:00 PM »

Doh means long time yet till any other will be able to come out  sad.gif

nazis X.

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2003, 09:44:00 PM »

QUOTE (lantus @ Apr 24 2003, 05:38 AM)
QUOTE (nazis X. @ Apr 24 2003, 04:34 AM)
That's an interesting question. Lantus, do you believe a PSX emulator, at full speed with sound, is possible?
I'm thinking it may, considering it's not cartridge based like the N64, and therefore need not load the entire image into the RAM. I'm not programmer or expert on emulation, so there's a good chance I'm wrong.

psx is certainly possible - its a different kettle of fish altogether.

and im not saying an n64 emulator will never appear on the xbox - with full sound - im just saying PJ64 isnt it

Thank you for the clairification. Now, so we don't get a bunch of people with crazed looks in their eyes and chanting 'VIRTUAL MEMORY", could you also clairify just how hard it is to implement virtual/swap memory?
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, Lantus. smile.gif
On another note, a mod should pin this, so we don't get a bunch of threads pondering the what-ifs of porting PJ64.

pakman21

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 10:47:00 PM »

Lantus you rock, love what you did for FBAX

thanks anyways

fakesky

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2003, 11:11:00 PM »

lantus: is the issue with PJ64 or will the problem remain with other n64 emulators, such as daed?

lucas

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2003, 11:23:00 PM »

QUOTE (fakesky @ Apr 24 2003, 05:11 PM)
lantus: is the issue with PJ64 or will the problem remain with other n64 emulators, such as daed?

nice to see you bothered to read the whole thread

Malf

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2003, 11:50:00 PM »

I heard someone on this board say something about the guys who made MAME X, about how they were tryingto find a way to put "virtual memory"  on the hard drive.  Anyone else hear about this?  Check that, someone above just metioned it too!  Just to clarify, the theory of virtual memory is to allocate the data that usually is stored in the RAM, on the hard drive instead.  Since the hard drive is way bigger than the RAM chips, this is a great idea in theory.  The question is, is it possible?

nazis X.

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2003, 11:54:00 PM »

QUOTE (Malf @ Apr 24 2003, 07:50 AM)
I heard someone on this board say something about the guys who made MAME X, about how they were tryingto find a way to put "virtual memory"  on the hard drive.  Anyone else hear about this?

See, Lantus, this is why you need to lay down the answer about Virtual/swap memory QUICK.
Anyway, back to the question... everyone on the scene has BEEN trying to implement Virtual memory... that's been, oh, about a year now. No progress. Why? It'd require a hardcore kernel hack (i.e. new BIOS) and custom code in each emulator/app that supports it. Apparently, it's pretty fucking hard to do, because the same guys that gave us all of the BIOSes and emulators/apps that you can download haven't been able to figure it out yet.

Dante_Ali

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2003, 02:15:00 AM »

Lantus: out of interest, did you try your Project64 port on an Xbox with 128 megs of RAM, and if so, did it help?

guile

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2003, 05:03:00 AM »

Thanks Lantus! Nice to hear SOMETHING true about an N64 emu.
g

TerrorShocked

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2003, 05:53:00 AM »

QUOTE (lantus @ Apr 24 2003, 05:04 AM)
simply put - its not worth the trouble

let me explain:

over the last 2 nights ive been hacking away at the PJ64 source and plugin source and have managed to get mario 64 loading on my xbox.

now for the (very) bad news:

In order for PJ64 to run properly, it requires  at least 128 megs of memory - check the docs that come with PJ64 if you dont believe me.

as well as this - the dynamic recompiler cache allocs around *50 megs* for itself. I played around with making the caches smaller and sure it works - but it runs like shit.

notice i havenet even mentioned the sound yet? that needs to allocate memory also, as does the main N64 memory maps as well, and finally the ROM image itself. Starting to get the picture?

status: im pulling the plug on this - PJ64 was never meant to work with 64megs of memory.  

hopefully this will put to rest some of these people who are pleading for a Pj64 port.

Daedalus seems to be your best bet.... someone would just have to release or write an open source sound plugin for it. It is either that or write one from scratch which is way too time consuming.
Pages: [1] 2