xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Softmod With Chipped Xbox  (Read 151 times)

DopeGhoti

• Archived User
Softmod With Chipped Xbox
« on: October 04, 2007, 09:08:00 AM »

If your goal is to take your used, unchipped Xbox and turn it into a softmodded Xbox, your plan will not work, because a softmodded Xbox needs to be able to unlock the hard drive using its own EEPROM as an effective cipher.  Each Xbox has a unique EEPROM fingerprint, so if you use (for example) your chipped Xbox to lock a hard drive, it will requite that specific Xbox to unlock it in the future.

I was rather wary of hotswapping at first, but have had no trouble with it; just be sure to read the 'Art of Hotswapping' thread linked in the top post of this one.

If you really don't like the prospect of hotswapping, and have an exploitable game (e. g. Splinter Cell or 007), you have use a savegame exploit to briefly mod the Xbox long enough to grab the EEPROM dump from the unmodded box, and put that on the xboxhdm CD, and you should no longer need to hotswap.  See the xboxhdm thread for details.

Gordo54

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »

Thanks for the info. While I am not new to the modding scene, it has been a couple of years since I have done anything like this, so I'm a bit rusty. What you said makes sense

Since I don't want to run out and buy an Action Kit and look for an exploitable game, or move my chip, it looks like hot-swapping is the way to go.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 01:45:00 PM »

there is also a small xbox to xbox hotswap guide in the tutorials topic. might be a bit simpler then using a pc.

VanydotK

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »

QUOTE(Gordo54 @ Oct 4 2007, 03:53 PM) View Post

I have done some searching on the topic, but have not quite seen a concrete answer as of yet. So, here is my situation:

I own a modded/chipped XBOX (Xenium S.P. ICE) that is working great and has worked awesome since I modded it. I just bought a used box and I want to do a softmod on it. The question is, can I put my unmodded box's HDD in my modded box (where I have FTP access and the ability to unlock the drive using the modchip) and get the necessary stuff on it?

I'm still a bit unclear as to what exactly happens with Ndure's installer. What does it do to the HDD? Is it possible to place the same files on it manually using FTP?

I would be doing all of this as an alternative to the hot-swapping method if in fact it is possible. I will be modding my new box first, and then probably doing a friends later.

Thanks in advance!

You can't put your unmodded xbox hard drive in your chipped xbox because the hard drive is locked to the unmodded xbox so that is out of the question.

Ndure's installer works along with xboxhdm and you'll basically have to do a hot swap. It's the easiest and fastest way so I say do that.

Gordo54

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 07:55:00 AM »

OK - so I did the Ndure hotswap method and it worked great. Thanks to all who contribute in these forums and those who develop the software that allows us to open up our boxes to the potential that they have.

On more question. I used the tutorial to install the mod and I had no problems whatsoever (aside from the drive not being unlocked a few times). Now, what I would like to do is change the dashboard. Rather than running UnleashX, I would like to just run XBMC as my dash (rather than an app). What I don't want to do is foul up what was done with the Ndure installer.

I already installed XBMC and can access it just fine. FTP is working great. What do I need to do to replace the Dashboard? Can I just overwrite what is on the C drive safely?

Thanks again to everyone!

jakejm79

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »

Just ftp in delete the contents of you E:\Dash folder, copy the XBMC files into the E:\Dash folder.
Make sure the XBE is named default.xbe and you should be all set.

Glad it all worked out for you.

VanydotK

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 12:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(jakejm79 @ Oct 5 2007, 04:31 PM) View Post

Just ftp in delete the contents of you E:\Dash folder, copy the XBMC files into the E:\Dash folder.
Make sure the XBE is named default.xbe and you should be all set.

Glad it all worked out for you.

That'll work, or you can do this just in case you ever want to get back into the UnleashX dash

Go into E:\dash and rename default.xbe to UnleashX.xbe

then follow option 1 in these instructions
http://www.xboxmedia...=As_a_Dashboard