xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: M$ New And Wanted This To Happen  (Read 196 times)

Xeero

• Archived User
M$ New And Wanted This To Happen
« on: July 04, 2003, 05:59:00 AM »

QUOTE (XBLamer @ Jul 4 2003, 09:55 AM)
Thats correct we can pirate all the existing games all we want M$ don't care but the new bread of games will be designed to only work on XBOX live. No matter how we hack the xbox it will only work on live if it is in an un hacked state.

That used to be the model.  Of course, with this Modding for Dummies, you CAN play hacked games on XBL.  This being the case, why are people to going to pay to be cheated when they do the same for free on a tunnelling service?  This HURTS the XBL business model.  <Knock-knock-knock!>

Xeero

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 06:02:00 AM »

QUOTE (XBLamer @ Jul 4 2003, 10:01 AM)
log on to xbox live in the next 24 hours and they will automatically upgrade your dash and make you reboot then log back in to get on. The live model is bullet proof.

I have my doubts that they will respond that quickly...

EDIT: However, I do concede that they have the capability of making modifications to subscribers' dashboards, thereby effecting an effort to keep cheaters out.  Good point.

XBLamer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 06:53:00 AM »

Lets get serious here.  I spent close to $1000 on my xbox with the wireless keyboard, wireless controllers new hard drive, cables, usb adpater, fan, mod chip, switch to turn mod on and off, replacement CD Rom drive (so it can actually read a CDR) etc etc

All to get a Computer that sort of runs linux but very very slow cause I still havent worked out how to upgrade my ram and the case looks like it has been in a war with holes cut all over it.

For $1000 I can buy a damm good computer. There is maybe 1000 people in total who are into making hardware modifications to there xbox to run linux (or whatever), the rest just want to pirate games and cheat on xbox live (the cheat on xbox live will never happen, well not for long before they patch it anyway)

so for under $200 yes you can get a subsidized xbox to run linux but you need some dam good technical knowledge and throw lots of money at it to actually make it usable so again only about 1000 but even if it was 10,000 sold for this purpose they will not lose a lot of money the rest will be sold to play games and to play they will need to go on xbox live.

M$ have smart people and they would have realized up front you can not make a unhackable standalone computer, Every other console on the market has been hacked in one way or another so it was just a matter of time.

newb0x

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 07:11:00 AM »

If M$ wanted Xbox to be online only they would have done it from the start.  

right now only about 5% of the Xbox userbase is online.  So switching to online (broadband)
only will alienate them from 95% of the mainstream Xbox users.

I don't think they nor developers would like that very much.  Online-only would be a death sentence for Xbox.

XBLamer

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 07:41:00 AM »

M$ want this to be a transitional Process. This hack will be patched in all new games, xbox live and all new consoles but more hacks will come and they don't care.  They want to get the xboxes in the house first and then get you reliant on there service (a bit like the sims did and a lot of multiplayer games do)

If I told you 15 years ago that over 80% of all computers would all be connected together on something called the internet and the standalone ones would be basically useless you would have laughed at me.  

Why do you think the xbox comes with the  ethernet adapter on the back and is not an optional add on like the DVD dongle. (trust me they didnt put it there so you could string cable between you and your neighbours house just to play multiplayer games)

If games are only made to work on live (because no one will make standalone games) then there is no hacking problem and M$ make the $10 (or 20, 30 40 50) a month of every one who uses it. Just like cable TV.

MikeHolliday

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 09:16:00 AM »

QUOTE (Xeero @ Jul 4 2003, 02:59 PM)
That used to be the model.  Of course, with this Modding for Dummies, you CAN play hacked games on XBL.  This being the case, why are people to going to pay to be cheated when they do the same for free on a tunnelling service?  This HURTS the XBL business model.  <Knock-knock-knock!>

Tunneling services reek worse than my nuts do.

You people saying they are going all-online is WRONG. In a few years there will be xbox2 anyways, and we can see what games are in development untill them, and they arent all xbox live titles. Plus most people who have xbox don't even have broadband.
The reason they included the ethernet port was to move units. paying 50 bucks to use it is the same thing as having it as an add-on.

mojojojo

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2003, 09:40:00 AM »

ms really dont care but the issue here is game house support. titles are what counts in the console game biz and some developers like ea dont wanna use the live system. im curious to see what ms does.

Digian

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2003, 09:47:00 AM »

How long since M$ told us production runs negative ?

I think you will find that xbox production is much more on the even side now or only slightly negative as of new xbox versions, the previous figures stating massive loss are old... they know full well they will sell more now with piracy, as keeps sony alive.

However, one thing youre probably quite wrong about is this exploit itself, if they knew about it, then it would have been silently patched in the xbox dash updates to now most probably for a start, or the 1.3 would have implemented protection.

Most buffer under/overflow security flaws arent known to the developer until they are tested and released as proof of concept, as with this... as far as M$ was concerned it was probably a hoax or they just thought it would leak anyway, so they didnt bother signing code for a linux boot loader bribe.

Wait until some sort of exploited app loader is released, then the fun shall begin.
The calling of n00bs should warrant development of such a utility; as a few source leaks wont help your average n00b who just wants to pirate without even paying for a mod!