xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Author Topic: Rather Unique Problem  (Read 44 times)

trait

Rather Unique Problem
« on: October 15, 2002, 02:42:17 PM »

I have a homebrew modchip installed (evoX 2.4 bios) and a replacement 80gb hdd.  I installed debian using Ed's install cd, which creates the rootfs and swap images on the E partition of the xbox (I used option 1 during the install so I could keep my roms and utilities intact on my F drive).  See the article/tutorial I am referring to here: Linux Install

Now here is the problem: I cannot get the xbox to boot to a dashboard.

I overwrote the evox xboxdash.xbe in the root partition with the .xbe on the linux boot disk, and also placed the rest of the files on the boot cd in the root dir (vmlinuz etc.).  The problem arose once I tried to reboot the xbox, I noticed that the utility I used to extract files from the bootimage.iso trimmed to 8 characters, so instead of linuxboot.cfg I have linuxboo.cfg on my root partition... notice the missing 't'  sad.gif

Now I cannot boot into anything without a boot disc (I used to be able to boot into linux using the boot cd, but with my luck, some jerkwad in my dorm managed to lose the cd as he was sorting through my games  mad.gif )  I can boot original XBOX games just fine, but have had no luck booting to EvoX from a cd.  If I could just find a way to access the hard disk drive using a PC, linux on the xbox, or ftp via evo-x, I could overwrite the linux xbe in the boot partition with an evox xbe and I'd be fine.

Note: I am not sure if I could do the cable swap trick to unlock the xbox hard drive and read/write using a PC, since I cant get to any 'dashboard' (I can only get to the MS error screen by flipping off my modchip).  Any help on this would be appreciated.

-Trait
cschonbe@purdue.edu                                    

WiKKiD

Rather Unique Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2002, 05:33:11 AM »

You sholdn't have any problems booting evo-x if you can boot ed's live cd.. If evo-x is being nasty and doesn't want to boot try adding a dummy file to the iso to push the contents of the evo-x cd outwards on the physical disk.. This will probably solve your booting issue so you can get in and make the appropriate changes to be able to boot from hdd again.

stoney_dk

Rather Unique Problem
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2002, 12:41:42 PM »

How to make sure the Dummy file is "first" on the Burned CD ?

I mean if it is in the begining it wont help ?                                    

trait

Rather Unique Problem
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2002, 02:32:31 PM »

yes I was wondering the same thing, please elaborate on how I would go about making sure the junk files are first on the cd.                                    

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 15 queries.