xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wireless Xbox  (Read 294 times)

esdubu

• Archived User
Wireless Xbox
« on: June 07, 2004, 03:02:00 AM »

I recently bought an ASUS  WL-330 wireless ethernet adaptor with the intention of using it to connect my xbox to my wireless network. When i took it out of the box i noticed that it can be powered by a usb port. this got me thinking. Has anybody had any success getting USB powered devices working connected to an xbox controller port? I want to have the wireless adaptor inside my xbox underneath the dvd drive, powered by the controller port. If anybody has any advice or reasons for  me not to do it, i would appreciate it.   <

Dagoth

• Archived User
Wireless Xbox
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 03:08:00 AM »

you would have a problem with this as the xbox wouldn't recognise it as a device under its original operating system.

you might have some success running the device under linux on the box, but that would be about it.  <

esdubu

• Archived User
Wireless Xbox
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 03:20:00 AM »

Sorry i didn't explain myself very clearly. The device is only powered by the usb port. It actually connects to the xbox by the ethernet port and functions as a cat5 replacement wireless bridge to my network. My question was more to do with getting the thing to be powered by a controller port. Thanks for the speedy reply though!  <

Ice9 Tech

• Archived User
Wireless Xbox
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 03:22:00 AM »

It should work, as it supplies the same wiring as a normal USB port.  Just try it - if it doesn't work, than you'll have to find another method :rolleyes:  <

Samstag

• Archived User
Wireless Xbox
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2004, 03:30:00 AM »

The USB ports supply 5v.  It would make a lot more sense to get that 5v from the hard drive molex.  <

mrcmax

• Archived User
Wireless Xbox
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2004, 03:35:00 AM »

i agree with samstag...why kill one of ur controller ports (when its on....) when you can just tap off the molex...
i have so much shit coming off that damn molex...  <

esdubu

• Archived User
Wireless Xbox
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2004, 03:38:00 AM »

I'm gonna give it a try tonight and see if i can get it to work. I'll post back on here with more info when i've had a go. Thanks for the info guys. I was pretty sure it would work but just wanted to check first.  :beer:   <

mrcmax

• Archived User
Wireless Xbox
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2004, 08:33:00 AM »

the only thing u have to think about is that the antenna is gonna have to stick out somewhere...unless u remove the RF shields...but even then u would b safer having the antenna out... i dont care for how that looks..you could open up the antenna and c how it works...if its just a wire, extend it and run it around the perimeter of the xbox...just my idea..would b pretty pimp
a stealth wireless xbox...that would b tite...

EDIT: scratch that...no antenna...sry

This post has been edited by mrcmax: Jun 7 2004, 03:35 PM <

sirgeoph

• Archived User
Wireless Xbox
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2004, 05:30:00 PM »

dont even worry about wasting a controller port.... get a usb extension cable, connect the red and black wires to the black and red wires inside the xbox at the controller ports and plug the wireless adaptor in. no wasted controller port.

or connect the usb extension to the molex as suggested earlier  <

esdubu

• Archived User
Wireless Xbox
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 04:21:00 AM »

IT WORKS!!!! Followed the advice you guys gave me and got a usb extension and wired it to the molex. Had to use a resistor though cos the WL-330 only takes a 4v input. I'm thinking about connecting it to the 3.3v on the main power connector and testing it to see if it'l work. I'll try and get a few pictures up tonight. I now have a completely wireless xbox for a very low price. I'm gonna get my mate to buy one and we can play wireless link up!  <

Samstag

• Archived User
Wireless Xbox
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 04:34:00 AM »

Remove the resistor and run it at 5v.  If it runs at a lower internal voltage it has regulators to take care of that.  That's why it's able to use USB power, which is 5v according to the USB spec.  <

G3E

• Archived User
Wireless Xbox
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 05:00:00 AM »

I too have done this with the asus wl-330. The only problem with this is the asus wl-330 gets quite warm after a while (especially inside the xbox case).  :)

I put a switch on the xbox case to switch off the wl-330 when I'm not using it.

The Asus WL-330 is perfect for the job as it is so small and has an interior antenna.

This post has been edited by G3E: Jun 9 2004, 12:04 PM <