xbox-scene.com archived forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

xbox-scene.com forum restored.  registration disabled.  thanks to xboxexpert for the db dump and netham45 for cleaning it up!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: New Ideas for BIOS Hacks  (Read 2595 times)

'Patchinko'

NULL
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2003, 10:50:46 PM »

'
               A bios that would enable virtual memory on the HDD.
That way, anyone could have a 128MB (or 256, or 512... ^_^) Xbox.
But I'm not sure if that's possible at all !

Edited by Patchinko, 23 August 2003 - 06:53 AM.

'

'Axelsson'

NULL
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2003, 02:12:10 AM »

'
                Things I want to see is:

1. SMB/CIFS-shares mapped to devices (F:, G: etc).

2. Sleep state with wake-on-keypress (Just like on PC)

3. Real embedded FTPserver, the way it is in X2-4978 just isn't impressive. Embedded (for real) would enable you to ftp in during gameplay or whatever.

4. Configuration via www and bios-setup screen on the actual xboxen. (Really the only thing I can think of where a xbe inside the kernel could be usable).

And I really want this in a 512K bios. I'm using the TSOP with two 512K banks. retail + retail + X2 + X2. 1M isn't interesting. Then I'll just stick with 4977. Perhaps a modular design?

Cheers

'

'A.Z.BEST�'

NULL
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2003, 02:48:06 AM »

'
                - Booting selected dashboard when pressing some button - A - launches evoxdash.xbe, B - launches avalaunch.xbe etc.
- possibility to boot console with erased/ fucked EEPROM
- VGA mode and normal TV mode buit in
- FTP mode built in but with booting an *.xbe within (boot Ms Dash with additional sections with FTP from the bios within)

I got flamed for it in that '4978 bios' topic  dry.gif .

'

'Trunks'

NULL
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2003, 03:45:45 AM »

'
                Axelsson touched on this a couple of posts earlier, but how about a global SMB connection being established at bootup.

'

'Xeero'

NULL
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2003, 04:01:53 AM »

'

QUOTE (Patchinko @ Aug 23 2003, 03:50 AM)
A bios that would enable virtual memory on the HDD.
That way, anyone could have a 128MB (or 256, or 512... happy.gif) Xbox.
But I'm not sure if that's possible at all !

The thing is, every application would have to be aware of this swap file, or it wouldn't be used.

'

'Xeero'

NULL
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2003, 04:04:05 AM »

'

QUOTE (feflicker @ Aug 23 2003, 12:47 AM)
Since the BIOS settings can't be easily changed when the BIOS is on the mod chip, it would be nice if there could be an optional XML file that could be placed on a specific partition

That is a good idea as well, but I think they can change the bios once it is on the chip, at least that is how it seems now that x24978 has been released with an xbe embedded in it.

Hmm...I dunno.  There are no changes made to the BIOS that's already on the chip, not even in 4978.

'

'A.Z.BEST�'

NULL
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2003, 05:01:30 AM »

'

QUOTE (Xeero @ Aug 23 2003, 02:04 PM)
QUOTE (feflicker @ Aug 23 2003, 12:47 AM)
Since the BIOS settings can't be easily changed when the BIOS is on the mod chip, it would be nice if there could be an optional XML file that could be placed on a specific partition

That is a good idea as well, but I think they can change the bios once it is on the chip, at least that is how it seems now that x24978 has been released with an xbe embedded in it.

Hmm...I dunno.  There are no changes made to the BIOS that's already on the chip, not even in 4978.

So maybe some program where you can modify options of the bios, and after applying changes it just reflashes the chip? But almost the same does Xbtool (without reflashing tongue.gif). Eh, it doesn't make to much sense. It would be just a toy.

'

'Drexon'

NULL
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2003, 08:52:42 AM »

'
                I have a great idea. IN-GAME-ANYTHING! I know it's possible, we already know we can change the button config in evox.ini, so IGA (creds to mee! biggrin.gif) should be easy to configire.

I now have left&right trigger+A+X for IGR, wouldn't it be sweet to have (same)+B+Y to start XBMP or possibly even another dash? =)

'

'Tover'

NULL
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2003, 09:31:48 AM »

'
                I like the ftp in bios, I kept the original dash, so this is great without having to reburn an evox cd.

Another thing I would like to see would be a dvd player in the BIOS, I know thats probably a little far out without a large bios, but it would be nice to pop the disc in, and hold B or X and it starts the dvd in progressive scan mode.

'

'feflicker'

NULL
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2003, 09:59:48 AM »

'

3. Real embedded FTPserver, the way it is in X2-4978 just isn't impressive. Embedded (for real) would enable you to ftp in during gameplay or whatever.

What about the games that configure networking when launched? Wouldn't the two apps using the NIC give a problem? Just my thought...

Hmm...I dunno. There are no changes made to the BIOS that's already on the chip, not even in 4978

Yeah, now thinking about it, that is probably true. The change doesn't necessarily have to be made on the flash rom does it? Can't any "on-the-fly" change just be patched to memory, since bios is loaded to memory on bootup?

'

'feflicker'

NULL
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2003, 10:00:59 AM »

'

I have a great idea. IN-GAME-ANYTHING! I know it's possible, we already know we can change the button config in evox.ini

Yeah, but that IGR is a function of EvoX, not the BIOS. It is still a good idea though!  wink.gif  

'

'BenJeremy'

NULL
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2003, 10:11:55 AM »

'

QUOTE (feflicker @ Aug 23 2003, 03:00 PM)
I have a great idea. IN-GAME-ANYTHING! I know it's possible, we already know we can change the button config in evox.ini

Yeah, but that IGR is a function of EvoX, not the BIOS. It is still a good idea though!  wink.gif

??

Hardly anybody uses the Evo-X IGR, due to compatibility issues, and the X2 BIOSes have IGR (they were first, you know).

'

'feflicker'

NULL
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2003, 11:13:24 AM »

'

Hardly anybody uses the Evo-X IGR, due to compatibility issues, and the X2 BIOSes have IGR (they were first, you know).

We were thinking along the lines of Xeero. We should add a x2bios.xml file somewhere and be able to specify bios options, such as hot-keys to launch xbe files, similar to how IGR mapping works in the EvoX dash.

'

'PlastiKK_'

NULL
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2003, 11:32:17 AM »

'

QUOTE (A.Z.BEST� @ Aug 23 2003, 06:48 AM)
- Booting selected dashboard when pressing some button - A - launches evoxdash.xbe, B - launches avalaunch.xbe etc.
- possibility to boot console with erased/ fucked EEPROM
- VGA mode and normal TV mode buit in
- FTP mode built in but with booting an *.xbe within (boot Ms Dash with additional sections with FTP from the bios within)

These are exactly what my wishes are too.

If possible I would like to see a dashboard xbe in the BIOS the same way that the current ftp xbe is embedded into the BIOS.  This would give it a real reason to make it 1MB.

'

'chinmi'

NULL
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2003, 03:31:32 PM »

'
                how about this :

A PASSWORD !!!

so if we turn our xbox, a password question comes out, like :

press the 12 combination key or direction to start playing

so, we have to input combination like

A-B-X-X-Y-Y-Up Analog1-Down-Analog 2Up- DPad Left-Dpad Right-Start-Right Trigger... and so on...

this will be cool and makes our xbox more secure...

and, since mod-chip's will came with bigger space to store bios...
maybe a game could fit in the bios (if there's a mod-chip with a 5 Gb bios space, we can put a whole game in it)  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  

Edited by chinmi, 23 August 2003 - 11:33 PM.

'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 15 queries.