xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Video Heatsink Question  (Read 184 times)

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Video Heatsink Question
« on: April 10, 2004, 05:45:00 PM »

ok, so the last 2 mobos ive had, ive put a heatsink on the mcxp chip, and on both of them, they failed the same (not a frag, but some sort of on off on off continuation) and recently i read a post by someone that did the same thing and got the same results

so on the 3rd mobo im recieving, im very skeptical of touching a heatink to the chip, so my question is,  will it be fine without one (im case will have pretty good cooling) or, should i try another one (if i put another one on, itd be via artic silver adhesive, and a northbridge heatsink)??

i dont see how everytime i put a heatsink on, it failed, would it be due to tomuch or little pressure on the chip when applying the heatsink?

estin

• Archived User
Video Heatsink Question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 06:43:00 PM »

i don't know, but its just really weird how people's xbox's won't work after they try to apply a heatsink.  i just know i'll never touch mine.  if it was a big deal there would already have been one on there.

cueball13

• Archived User
Video Heatsink Question
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 06:45:00 PM »

Yeah, seriously, they don't come with heatsinks, so it's not like yours is definitely going to fail without one.... if you can't do it right, I'd suggest leaving it alone. And I thought your mobos died because you a.) knocked off a capacitor and tried to glue it back on and b.) messed up the d0 and then ruined a few traces.  :D

estin

• Archived User
Video Heatsink Question
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 06:47:00 PM »

QUOTE (cueball13 @ Apr 11 2004, 04:39 AM)
Yeah, seriously, they don't come with heatsinks, so it's not like yours is definitely going to fail without one.... if you can't do it right, I'd suggest leaving it alone. And I thought your mobos died because you a.) knocked off a capacitor and tried to glue it back on and b.) messed up the d0 and then ruined a few traces.  :D

:rotfl:    thats what i was thinking too.

zacattack

• Archived User
Video Heatsink Question
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 06:48:00 PM »

ya mine has been fine with out it no problems

deviation56

• Archived User
Video Heatsink Question
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 07:58:00 PM »

lol I ruined my first mobo trying to remove a heatsink from an mcpx chip... then i tried gluing a heatsink down with thermal paste and that almost ruined my second mobo but i was able to fix it... i think the problem is that even if you slap a sink on the chip, it wont do anything unless you have some air flowing over it...

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Video Heatsink Question
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 04:28:00 AM »

well cueball, that was part of the problem, but if it was just those 2 things, the mobo would have fragged (since both problems were bad solder and hardware failure) but it wouldnt have fragged (well it wasnt even a frag, just on off constantly) if it was just those 2 things
and when i read that someones xbox did the same thing as mine when they put a heatsink on, i was weary......

well, i know the mcxp chip didnt come with one on it, but alot of people say it will fail over time (not always) without one........so i was just trying to be safe

i guess i can try it one more time (and i  know what im doing when it comes to putting a heatsink on, thank you very much cueball  :lol:  )
just one thing, how much pressure should i use? if i use to much, will i break the chip? and if i use to little, wont the contact between the heatsink and chip be bad, and heat will just build up inbetween the two??

thanks

cueball13

• Archived User
Video Heatsink Question
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004, 05:04:00 AM »

QUOTE (67thRaptorBull @ Apr 11 2004, 02:22 PM)
(and i  know what im doing when it comes to putting a heatsink on, thank you very much cueball  :lol:  )
just one thing, how much pressure should i use? if i use to much, will i break the chip? and if i use to little, wont the contact between the heatsink and chip be bad, and heat will just build up inbetween the two??

Way to contradict yourself there, lol. Don't worry about breaking the chip....as long as you're not like using a vice on it or something, it's not going to break. And unless you slathered on so much thermal adhesive that it dripped all down the edges of the chip, I really don't think the heatsinks were the problem on your old ones.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Video Heatsink Question
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2004, 05:09:00 AM »

well the first heatsink i put on (before i broke the capacitor) i had it on for 3 hours, then it came off, so that screwed something up

the other one was so big i think it was touching something on the mobo and helped contribute to the problem

but, when i put it on, should i just put a little dab in the middle of the chip of one paste and a little dab of the other on the heatsink, so that when i press down on it the force will cuase the adhesives to spread along the chip and heatsink?

also it helps that this time im using artic silver paste, last time i used some no name brand that came with the chip, which wasnt very strong

El Hefe

• Archived User
Video Heatsink Question
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2004, 05:30:00 AM »

Spread the thermal Paste all over the chip and the heatsink then DONT REMOVE IT ONCE ITS ON!!!! you'll break the thermal seal.

hirme

• Archived User
Video Heatsink Question
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2004, 05:36:00 AM »

hey, the other guys you mentionned is ME :D
still don't understand why my mobo does't work now...I mean...the heatsink I got came from llamma and it was self-adhesive...put it on the mcpx...xbox goes on/off/on/off :(

the heatsink didn't touched anything on the board...I need a new mobo now :o

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Video Heatsink Question
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2004, 05:46:00 AM »

yea hirme, i had the same problem (along with other cuases, but i also had a llamma heatsink on it)

so i guess ill try one more time

would it help for better adhesion if i mixed the 2 pastes first, the spread them on both the heatsink and the gpu (sorta like epoxy)?

if not, dont flame, im just asking   ;)

cueball13

• Archived User
Video Heatsink Question
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2004, 06:17:00 AM »

Hirme, so you just stuck it on with the thermal tape and it stopped working? I don't see how that could possibly cause it, I think there must be some other problem.

cueball13

• Archived User
Video Heatsink Question
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2004, 06:19:00 AM »

QUOTE (67thRaptorBull @ Apr 11 2004, 03:40 PM)
would it help for better adhesion if i mixed the 2 pastes first, the spread them on both the heatsink and the gpu (sorta like epoxy)?

NO. Just follow the f'ing directions, if that would work better don't you think they would tell you to do that instead? As soon as the two components are mixed, they begin bonding and hardening really quickly.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Video Heatsink Question
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2004, 10:57:00 AM »

haha, cueball settle down

i was just asking, cuase the last time i followed the directions the heatsink fell off as soon as i tilted the mobo, but it was some really cheap adhesive