xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: The Quietest Case Fan?  (Read 191 times)

caseyhalone

• Archived User
The Quietest Case Fan?
« on: February 24, 2004, 10:41:00 AM »

i wanna replace my case fan and i am confused by all these Db ratings saying some are as low as 12Db and some that say 40Db is quiet.

Who has a case fan they are happy with the noise level but also pushes alot of air to keep a 7200 HDD cool as well.

Ive also been looking around to see a picture of a bare HDD tray to see how i should chop it to get better cooling.  i want this thing to last, its a 200gig.

Who has put a fan next to the PSU/ HDD (cutting away at the side of the case) and how does it look/work.?

MattMan69

• Archived User
The Quietest Case Fan?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 11:17:00 AM »

Are you talking about putting a fan on the side like I did here? http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=175227 If so I can tell you for sure that it will cool the box down alot, I also did the 12v mod to the original fan and It made a big difference as well. As to where to get a quite fan I have no idea. My box makes ALOT of noise, it sounds like It's ready to take flight but it's worth it cause my temps are WAY down!!

SpikeMage

• Archived User
The Quietest Case Fan?
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 11:22:00 AM »

How is it that so many people think "alot" is a word?

Anyway...I wouldn't worry about cooling to much. The stock fan with 12v mod works just fine. Just make sure the box is in a place where it has a bit of room to breath. As far as noise, well I don't know what to tell ya. It doesn't really bother me but then again my computer sounds like a fucking 747 so I guess I am just used to it.

aaanti

• Archived User
The Quietest Case Fan?
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 11:52:00 AM »

I can assure you that Papst 80mm 12db fans are way quieter then the stock fan and still does what it's supposed to do. My friend has one and it cools his 120Gb quite well and is much quieter then the unmodded xbox. Can really tell you any temps. since I don't know exactly what they are but I'm buying a Papst fan next week so if you haven't begun modding your fan by then just P.M. me and I'll give you some temps.

caseyhalone

• Archived User
The Quietest Case Fan?
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 12:41:00 PM »

yes mattman69...
kinda like that, just cut a square out of the side though. hows that work for your hdd temps? can you tell and did you cut the tray up or have any pics of the tray?
i think i would cut out where the power wire runs along the tray.

i have a fan blowing on two hdd in my pc case and they stay super cool. i have a heatsink on the mcpx so im not worrying about that. mainly the HDD, as it would be the most costly, time consouming thing to replace. ( with all that data).

i had a game geek out on me from the heat when i had the xbox in the cabnet, but i would like to keep it in there, if it would stay cool enough.

MattMan69

• Archived User
The Quietest Case Fan?
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 01:03:00 PM »

This ain't english class, who the fuck cares.

caseyhalone:
Don't have any pics of the HDD tray but what I did was cut out a small hole on the bottom of the tray to help any heat from the HDD escape out that and it's being pushed out by the fan.  There is already a small part cut out but I felt more would be better. Don't know the temp of the HDD but everything seems to be much cooler than befor the mods.

I used a 80mm fan on the side it's only sticking out about a half inch, then made the custom cover. It came out pretty nice. I saw another post in here not to long ago where some guy used a smaller and much thiner fan, the result was nice. He didn't have to mangle the outside of the case, looked great. Might wanna look for that post, think he provided a guide also.

lajaro

• Archived User
The Quietest Case Fan?
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2004, 02:58:00 PM »

Try the vantec stealth

h34d5h0tz

• Archived User
The Quietest Case Fan?
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 04:39:00 PM »

well, i like loud stuff. loud music, loud car, loud tv.

xenocyde

• Archived User
The Quietest Case Fan?
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004, 04:45:00 PM »

vantec stealth isnt as good as panaflo or papst

if you want quiet while good air flow, get a panaflo or a papst.... papst is more expensive but its more effective

hand_of_LAW

• Archived User
The Quietest Case Fan?
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 04:49:00 PM »

http://www.pccasegear.com/prod1113.htm

I use one of those, plus a cut up HD tray.     :D

D.

deviation56

• Archived User
The Quietest Case Fan?
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2004, 04:54:00 PM »

QUOTE (SpikeMage @ Feb 24 2004, 10:16 PM)

Anyway...I wouldn't worry about cooling to much. The stock fan with 12v mod works just fine. Just make sure the box is in a place where it has a bit of room to breath. As far as noise, well I don't know what to tell ya. It doesn't really bother me but then again my computer sounds like a fucking 747 so I guess I am just used to it.

lol, the same reason people say im instead of i am... theyre just lazy  :lol:

thejt

• Archived User
The Quietest Case Fan?
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2004, 05:23:00 PM »

I have a vantec and I like it.  I would have gone with papst or panaflo as well but couldnt find the right db to cfm that I wanted.  The Vantec Steath was on the money!

Papst and Panaflo are some of the nicest fans you can buy.  Its all about finding the right db to cfm.

caseyhalone

• Archived User
The Quietest Case Fan?
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2004, 07:35:00 PM »

anyone know the stock specs of the case fan un modded. i think it runs at 20% stock. i have mine bios controlled to 60%.

wondering the cfm and Db. could it fit without cutting the side panel? if i cut away at the tray where the power wires are?

dman7

• Archived User
The Quietest Case Fan?
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2004, 08:44:00 PM »

QUOTE (thejt @ Feb 25 2004, 04:17 AM)

Papst and Panaflo are some of the nicest fans you can buy.  Its all about finding the right db to cfm.

Papst Or Panaflow? That's the question.

I have a Panaflow in mine. It's alright. It's really not as quiet as I would like it to be. I have asked around which is more quite and from what I gather they both have thier ups and downs. I believe the down side to the Papst was that it had a higher whine noise. I used to have some links to them compared in reviews but not sure what happened to them. I think I might dish out the extra cash though and try a Papst because I am really picky about noise and not tottally satisfied with the Panalfow.  I do remember though the reason why I bought the Panaflow was because it was ALOT cheaper and it did have a higher cfm for the DB(Actually a much better ratio). That might probably explain why it would be a little more noisey than the Papst(minus the whinning noise the Papsts are claimed to have). But when it comes down to it, I think the best way is to find out for yourself because with fans you can't go by manufactures readings.

I remember in the upgrade fan tutorial around here there was Vantec fan that was used and it had a  low cfm(can't remember the number).....way to low to be used for cooling a CPU. If you use that tutorial make sure you go with a fan with a higher cfm since it is cooling your cpu and motherboard.

-Dman

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
The Quietest Case Fan?
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2004, 09:03:00 PM »

QUOTE (caseyhalone @ Feb 25 2004, 01:29 AM)
anyone know the stock specs of the case fan un modded. i think it runs at 20% stock. i have mine bios controlled to 60%.

wondering the cfm and Db. could it fit without cutting the side panel? if i cut away at the tray where the power wires are?

A friend of mine measured a few stock boxes between 41 and 43 Db. Keep in mind Db is a logarithmic scale so one notch higher is a lot louder than the difference from one notch lower. Also realize that your Hard Drive might be making a lot of your Xbox's Noise. The stock HDD on my V1.0 was nearly 3 times louder than the fan  :lol: Most version 1s also have GPU fans that sometimes rattle and make a lot of noise. I was lucky and mine is wisper quiet. swaping out the HDD alone and my Xbox is silent (stock fan and all).

No idea what the CFM (no good way to measure it) but I'd make an educated guess that it typically runs somewhere between 25 and 35CFM.

Just upgrading to an 80mm alone should theoretically reduce the noise level (larger fans dont have to turn as fast to product the same airflow).

If you want lots of Quiet:
-get a HDD with a low noise rating
-get a quiet 80mm fan with a low noise rating (Vantec, Papst or Panaflow, etc.)
-rubber grommet mount your HDD
-get some noise deadening material and line the non vented areas around the hard drive and fan

As for the 12V fan mod the sound of the air flow alone is friggin loud, honestly there's no good reason to do it in my opinion.

a lot
the space bar is our friend  :P